The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

When do i stop??? Rebuild thoughts.

I was in the garage today, tearin down the truck and it dawned on me. When am i going to stop tearing this truck apart??? Do i stop when i am finally through with the rust??

Example today was me pullin off my fenders. Then i realized i should pull the inner fenders and have those done, then the core support, then the grill, then i realized i didnt like the way the wiring looked... Then i started wondering, WHEN will i stop tearing the vehicle apart? Am i doing something wrong here? Should i have set a certain build time or plan??

I just feel like im going to have a bucket of bolts here pretty soon...
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
dan42

Re: When do i stop??? Rebuild thoughts.

Always an interesting queston. I sat down and thought about what it was I wanted to do to my '67 before I ever started - the things that I felt needed to be done right away, and the things that I could wait on. I stuck to my list, and I have two more fairly major things to do, and then I'll piddle with little stuff until I have the resources to commit to the truck. Always have a plan, because these things have a way of being a runaway train. Just my dos centavos.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

That's some sound Advise dan42, I know from Personal Experience that w/out Direction Most Projets are Doomed to Failure. I Can't Count how many Time's i have Taken off w/out A Good Plan & End up With a Bucket of Bolt's that someone else get's Cheap..........

From the Sound of it you may still have time to Save your Project, Just Decide what you want & what you Can Spend to Get it ................

Good Luck, Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
mothertrucker424

i have a plan writen out on paper i don't show to anyone ,it has a list of repairs mechanically for saftey and driveline a list of body repairs and wants and interior parts i need
mothertrucker424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
c10addict

THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU CAN MAKE IS..... Do not start cutting corners at this part of your restoration/project build that when it is all done and put back together you wish you would have fixed while it was apart!!!! I have done this in the past and you will kick yourself in the a$$ everytime you look at your truck!! Do it right the first time!!! Just my .02
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 AM   #6
cdowns

before starting its important to have a realistic plan. are you looking to build a trailer queen show only truck? are you looking for a truck to ride and haul crap in from home depot and swapmeets? are you looking for a racetruck? are you looking for something for local use ? are you looking for a long distance hauler? then theres the time frame and the budget considerations raw materials tools and skills and work area issues

make a plan and stick with it// worse thing you can do is get in a compition with others as to what you're trying to accomplish
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:30 AM   #7
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Were talking about trucks that are almost 40 years old.....Same as owning a home that is almost 40 years old - There WILL always be something to do, the work will never be complete.

When we bought our 69' SWB last year, a good friend asked me if we wanted a show truck, a total restore or a cruiser that would turn heads as we drove by. He said if you choose a show truck, start digging really deep. Same with a total restore. With the cruiser we are not digging as deep. And, you'll probably have a lot more fun with it. In mine, many different issues have come up, i.e. new wiring, lots of rust, gas tank relocation, door windows need repair, seat needs redone...then motor and trans issues - My list can go on and on and on........My wife said, When is it or will it ever be done? Answer? Probably Never. Even my neighbors ask if it will ever run again. At this point I just want to get it rolling. Enjoy it while I can. As far as paint....WOW, I have not even thought of that yet, I'm kinda getting used to the Primer Black.

To answer your question. Do you want a show truck, a total restore or a cruiser? Once you answer that, then you can continue to tear it apart or put it back together and fix things along the was - make it look good and enjoy it....Life is to short.

Good Luck
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors

Last edited by myoldchevytruck; 12-16-2007 at 03:32 AM. Reason: no change
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
70cst

Geeeee...I envy all you guys who have the talent and time to work on your trucks. I am "mechanically challenged" and with two occupations it doesn't give me a lot of spare time at home. My truck which is going into the body shop in a couple of weeks will be transformed into a very nice DD. I can do basic maintinance but tht is as far as I can go. "cdowns makes a very good statement...do you want a DD or a trailer queen" I use to judge Street Rod contest and the one thing I noticed...those with Trailer Queens were afraid to drive and really enjoy their car/truck. To me I want to enjoy my truck and that is the ability toi drive it. JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
Billla
Account Suspended

I don't have a lot to add to the advice here (have a plan, figure out what you want to end up with, do it once - do it right, etc.)

If the truck is a daily driver, I've found for myself that it really helps to break things down into mini-projects of about a weekend or so's duration. Sometimes not possible, and sometimes you need to take stuff apart *twice*...but generally the truck is driveable.

I recognzied a while ago that what I really wanted was a rock-solid daily driver that I could have for the next 50 years or so...so I'm starting a frame-up starting with a parts truck while I still drive my "beater".
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:52 AM   #10
bobthecop

I still have my bucket of bolts, I will not sell cheap. I have possibly accumulated most of the parts I need, notice there are no difinative answers here. I just need to settle on 1 project. But then I go to the garage to work on the truck, and I end up cleaning tools and rearranging the tool box. I get side tracked easy, but it's my track and I have fun, to me thats what it is all about, having fun and dreaming of the finished product, although it will never be finished. Driveable but not finished.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 12-16-2007 at 03:53 AM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
ChevyC102007

My plans and wild dreams started when I purchased my 71 LWB. But unfourtunately I didnt have the money at the time to do anything but I decided to fix the minor things that I could fix on a shoe string budget, most of which are mechanical/safety issues. (Once I get all the gremlins worked out to) But now that I have some more money to put into the truck (divided of course between bills, the house and my wifes car.) I still find myself setting pratical goals on which direction to go with Ole Blue. But no matter which way ya go.......ENJOY your truck, as previously stated life is to short, plus youll be saving a piece of automotive history in the process.

Just my two pennies.

2001 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4. (old ride)
1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic ("new" ride)
ChevyC102007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:04 AM   #12
lyrikz
PITbut

Im going to start a build thread.... I think that will help me post my ideas, get them out and get advice when i need it... I will put a pic or two in here then transfer over to the pic intesive build portion... I know how you guys LOOOVEE the pics... I will put some of the wife in for ya also

I dont want a trailer queen, and its not a daily driver. I want a cruiser that people stare at. Reliable. Clean. Leak, and rust free. Really nice paint. This has been my dream truck since i was 18 years old. After i sat and thought about it for awhile, and read all your guys post, i actually realized that once i get the front end apart, theres not to much left to do on the front. The firewall looks a little intimdating but all im doing up there is just painting. IM not shaving it or anything like that..

I have an inline 6 in it now that im leaving in it.. Eventually it will have a V8 of some kind in it, but the freshly built 6 is good where its at, and i kinda like it for now. SO that portion is taken care of.

Once i get the front core off with radiator and what not, thats as far as i have to tear it down in front. It has all new front suspension and some doodads up there. It needs a tierod end, but thats about it for that. So it will ALWYAS be rolling. I am NOT taking the cab off, its not needed.

SInce i have you all here, i took a few pics of the my front grill and wanted to get suggestions on how to revive this front grill.... IT looks like the chrome just rusted off. sand blast and then rechrome or whatever i decide???

And heres a pic of my work area. I have my twins out with me who HELP (aka, jab screwdrivers into side of truck). It takes more time, but i get to spend time with them.

I will link my build page once i get the thread up.. Thanks guys.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #13
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

If you asked the question now you have already gone too far...LOL! Frame off restorations (which is where you are headed if you don't stop now) are for guys with a second truck to drive, lots of shop space, understanding wives, plenty of disposable income, lots of patience, a long range plan and stability in their lives....or single guys with a vision and no other interests. I have seen too many unfinished projects get sold for a fraction of what they could have obtained as a running truck. If you only have one truck...do finite weekend projects as BILLA suggested and keep it running. Just my 0.02!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #14
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stllookn View Post
If you asked the question now you have already gone too far...LOL! Frame off restorations (which is where you are headed if you don't stop now) are for guys with a second truck to drive, lots of shop space, understanding wives, plenty of disposable income, lots of patience, a long range plan and stability in their lives....or single guys with a vision and no other interests. I have seen too many unfinished projects get sold for a fraction of what they could have obtained as a running truck. If you only have one truck...do finite weekend projects as BILLA suggested and keep it running. Just my 0.02!
Well, im not doing a frame off.. The frame has been done, and the cab doesnt need to be off at all. Might need to put some new cab mounts in for fun, but thats about it... Front end, some rust work on the cab, and the back end...

I do have a second vehicle, actually 2 more second vehicles. Mediocre amount of shop space, understanding wife (truck was her idea) average amount of disposable income, NO PATIENCE, a semi long range plan and im stable.. At least my doctor says i am...

The vehicle could start up and drive right now.. Its just missing the front end. ahaha
Old 12-16-2007, 07:51 AM   #15
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Most definitely have a plan (before you commit to buying) your truck. Be realistic when it comes to your talents, tools, shop, and the stage of life you are at. Know what you want your truck to be when it is finished and stay on track. After all you are paying the bills for your truck anyone elses opinion is just that .... it's your opinion that counts the most. Take what you think it will cost then double it!!!! Take the time you think it will take and triple that. Now your getting close!!!!

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 12-16-2007 at 07:58 AM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #16
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post
Most deffinatly have a plan (before you committ to buying) your truck. Be realistic when it comes to your talents, tools, shop, and the stage of life you are at. Know what you want your truck to be in the end and stay on track. After all you are paying the bills for your truck. Take what you think it will cost then double it!!!! Take the time you think it will take and triple that. Now your getting close!!!!

esll.
One thing you said got my attention. The realistic about my talents... Im the kinda guy that can do about anything... If i have directions. I have never painted a car before a few years ago, and i have done 3 show pieces since. All self taught. Never did any metal work, and now i have no cab support or floor. ahah Its going in slowly.... I just hope i dont bite to much off.....
Old 12-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
cdowns

dont have grill blasted before plating it will cause additionat polishing work// when going to the plater for an estimate wear clean underwear
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #18
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
dont have grill blasted before plating it will cause additionat polishing work// when going to the plater for an estimate wear clean underwear
Wear clean underwear because he is going to pull mine off and rape me??? Or wear clean underwear because im going to drop dead from his price and your supposed to die with clean underwear

or wear clean underwear cause im going to **** my pants when he tells me??

wonder if i should sand blast and paint it.. hmmm
Old 12-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #19
70rs/ss

all 3!!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
streetstar

you're done when your truck looks like this -- (except with a GMC grill- and with the color of your choice sprayed on)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=270314

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 12-16-2007 at 11:56 AM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #21
chip46wis

years ago I built a 69 Z-28 454 4 speed True candy apple red--pearl stripes 4:56 gears and a full red cru,shed velvet interior.People stopped in their tracks when I drove it but I was afraid to park it anywhere.
Overall to me it wasnt worth the hassle of protecting it in daily encounters-so I sold it and bought another Trans-am
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #22
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

That's good the talent thang, I think I'm dealing with a guy (much like myself) here. You get motivated more by the challenge of other people tellin you it can't be done. Well show me a truck then, progress pic's anything! Perhaps your just experiencing a weak moment in the project. You ask when do I stop??? Then proceed to tell me you can do things like paint when you never had any previous experience and you end up with great paint jobs. Your willing to give things a shot where others would give up so where do you stop??? Tell me as I think you know. Perhaps you don't give up in your case.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 12-16-2007 at 04:10 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 AM   #23
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

when to stop? when either of 2 attorneys show up. bankruptcy or divorce. LOL
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:15 AM   #24
CUSTOM/10

As far as I'm concerned don't stop until you have a bare frame .

Bankruptcy maybe !!!! Divorce noway, that's when you can put as much time & money into it as you want, and there's no one to B!tch about it.
In fact I have a build thread call "Divorce Therapy"

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #25
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

This all started with a new timing chain install .......
s/t
Attached Images

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote