The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
LBJ

ATF in power steering?

The guy who painted my truck noticed a good sized leak in the power steering hose. Rather than fix it or call me, he just kept adding ATF in the tank to get it moved around until he had it painted. Is this going to eat up the seals before too long? Never done this before, but I do know that you cannot always mix fluids.

LBJ
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: ATF in power steering?

yea you can do that it works just as good. Ive done it for years have in in my truck i always have trans fluid never powersteering (so i save in long run.)

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 12-18-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

its no big deal i have used trans fluid all the time too

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Dextron/Mercon III ATF in both my Chevy and my Lincoln power steering systems, no problem whatsoever.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

just dont use brake fluid.... youll be replacing a pump in about three days. i know from experience.
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

Why are all you guys using ATF in your PS to begin with?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Morning guys: God created different fluids for different reasons. ATF and PS oil is but one example. I'll try to explain this, but I guarantee I won't spell it right. Part of this is ATF has a coefficient of friction so a trans won't slip PS oil does not have this property. ATF is of lower viscosity and doesen't lubricate as well as PS oil, nor does it develope the pressures PS oil does. An automatic trans operates in the pressure range of 15LBS in the lube & cooling circuts to about 350 LBS in reverse boost. PS systems can go as high as 2500 LBS when steering wheel is locked against the left or right stops. Under these conditions ATF in a steering system will overheat, foam and break down over time. Heat is what causes the seals to fail. The PS pump front seal will be the first to fail after that it's anyones guess which one goes next. I would flush the pump and the steering box and fill it with PS oil and forget it. Jim
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
faribran

i like Jim's input
Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Good post Jim!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
cjracing15

Well at least he did put fluid in it. He could have just run it with out any and then for sure you would be replacing a ps pump.

Last edited by cjracing15; 12-21-2007 at 04:48 AM.
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
pilotj

Talking Re: ATF in power steering?

I guess that I've just been lucky. ATF is all I've ever used in my power steering the past 30 years and I've never had a problem. Now if I ever decide to buy a brand new vehicle, I would certainly use the recommended fluid to cover the warranty, but I like my older vehicles for now.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

Again, why do you guys use ATF instead of PS fluid??? Is it to save money, is it what you had layin around...what?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
70 Suburban
Rods

I understand what you are sayin jim but most manufactures are now asking u to use atf.... what u failed to mention is that ps fluid also contains the same elemints that brake fluid does and can break down seals if they are not ment to hold up to it...I have use atf in my rigs for years both imoport and domestic. and will continue to do so.
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
1970pelle

In the style pumps used on our trucks I don't think it will be an issue.P/S is one of the most neglected fluids on a vehicle along with brake fluid.They need to be changed.I change mine once a year.A turkey baster will work.The use with ATF in P/S is with later model vehicles.If it has a P/S rack&pinion.ATF is a big no no.It wil cause leaks.Eats up the rack and pumps.For a while they said only P/S fluid.But now they have been switching to the new synthetic ATF.The new chry/dodge stuff run ATF plus 4 in P/s.And some of the new GM's the new synthetic ATF.Did you know that ATF is clear and the red color is a dye that is added.Sorry to get of topic.
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

All the new chrysler and dodge vehicles use ATF in the PS. And even when I worked there, we would use it in any older dodge any time we did a flush or a new pump.

bigblock73, I really couldn't tell you why. I've just always known that it could be, and maybe it's the cheesy marketing, but any time I see a bottle of PS fluid, it looks cheap to me. Maybe cheap advertising really does have a negative effect on me. Hah
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
89 crew

Apparently what folks don't remember is that power steering pumps are just light duty hydraulic systems. why is it that one system that uses hydraulic fluid isn't compatible with another? I have run either hydraulic oil or mercon dextron 2 or 3 for as long as I have been driving and I have never had a pump, sector, hydroboost, or hose failure. far as the brake fluid goes that is totally different! the seals in well everything are neoprene any more and brake fluid will dissolve them! DO NOT USE IT! (unless your system is sealed with leather) if it is sealed with leather the brake fluid will make the leather soft and swell and seal a leak. Ever wander where C.R. came from? Chicago Rawhide! Now that used to be leather! Oh and for those asking yes it is because I have it here and don't have to stock an extra item.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:02 AM   #17
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow Re: ATF in power steering?

Im with Jeff on this one you guy's just don't get it.

Certain systems were designed and engineered to use specific fluid's and that is what should be utilized unless otherwise stated.

And the owners or the factory maintenance manual do not state any substiutes for the power steering system fliud.

Just because another fluid seems to work well dosen't mean you should use it.

But i know you guy's are set in your way's and change isn't something you all welcome too well.

But we are just trying to inform you so you can understand what good and correct vehicle maintenance is and maybe you will learn something here and start to preform better vehicle maintenance.

My Dad allways said this to me about people that do things the wrong way mainly me when i was a kid.

Theres allways time to do it right the second time!

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE

Last edited by 87 STEPPER; 12-20-2007 at 03:03 AM.
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:15 AM   #18
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Suburban View Post
I understand what you are sayin jim but most manufactures are now asking u to use atf....
70 Suburban, these comments are not directed soley at you, but to others who are making similar comparisons.

SO now we are comparing specs for a 73-87 PS assembly to a new car PS assembly? I could care less who is using what now...perhaps the way the pumps and PS components are made today it is indeed best or OK to use ATF, but we are talking about an older truck that has been spec'd to use PS fluid from the factory.

I guess I am just traditional I guess, I actually use PS fluid in my PS resevoir...don't think I'll ever use ATF.

Last edited by bigblock73; 12-20-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:05 AM   #19
1970pelle

one thing to keep in mind is the parts built today are built with 2007 technology.The seals/bushings are going to be products of 2007 specs.Which use different fluids than when first built.I know for fact on certain pumps there is a note in the box(OEM) directing which fluid to use to maintain the warrenty.So I would want run the best product avaliable.My worthless .02
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #20
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow Re: ATF in power steering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
one thing to keep in mind is the parts built today are built with 2007 technology.The seals/bushings are going to be products of 2007 specs.Which use different fluids than when first built.I know for fact on certain pumps there is a note in the box(OEM) directing which fluid to use to maintain the warrenty.So I would want run the best product avaliable.My worthless .02
If your talking about PS replacement parts for a 73-87 I doubt that very seriously afterall were talking about REBUILT parts not NEW and most of the internal parts are just 20+ year old recycled parts and any new internal parts will be mfg to the old spec's not to 2007 the only new parts are really the seals and im gonna tell ya they will be equivalent to what the unit came with from factory not what's used in todays system's.

And if it's true then you better get a new gear box cuz the seals in it will not be compatable with the new part fluid spec's!

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #21
jott_06
Camaro Club

Thought i'd throw my .02 in here. I am one that usually uses the recomended fluids but i have used atf to top of the powersteering before and i've never had a problem. My stepdad grew up around his fathers filling station and he said that if they were out of ps fluid they always used atf. I'm not saying you should go drain your ps fluid and replace it with atf but from all the people that have done it and not had any problems i dont see what its going to hurt if you just use it to top off the system when that is all you have.
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:50 AM   #22
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

i use atf because i got it laying around, and if the pump is leaking, cheaper to get or more for the money..saves money in the long run...as long as the pump doesnt spring a major leak i can live with a small leak...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #23
jimfulco

I never even heard of power steering fluid until I was well past full grown, and ATF was all we ever used. My '88 T-bird's owner's manual says to use Type F ATF in its power steering system, and that's all it's ever seen, except for that NAPA stopleak that went in at somewhere around 150K.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote