The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Anti-knock system for older engines.

I posted this over in the electrical forum but thought maybe some of you guys here would know about this;
Any of you guys ever try to modernize and optimize your spark with one of these retro-fit knock-sensors?

They're sorta pricey,but I'd be really interested in hearing about anybody's experience,you know, in case I find myself with $6-700 burning a hole in my pocket.
Maybe easier/cheaper to pull parts off an early FI SB and make your own?
Kind of blurry Pic i guess.What it says is there's a system to install an Oxygen sensor and some other goodies so you can have timing advanced just before knock at all times.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
wibilly

Re: Anti-knock system for older engines.

sounds cool, good for milage, performance and your engine but i like the simplicity of no extra electronics.you can always get a duel point distributer wire the two sets of points to aswitch to switch between them. run the two sets of points with different gaps. the wider gap is your spark retard for shifting into high gear or when under a puul then switch to the other set when you level out and engine is no longer under load. but it think proper distributer tuning including vacume advance tuning you can do the same providing fuel quality is somwhat consistant
Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Re: Anti-knock system for older engines.

How about MSD? They have a dash adjustable retard for their MS-6. Do they have a knock sensor, too?
Seems like a good idea for heavy trucks & towing.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote