The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
DavesRide

One Eyed Drivers Laws

Ok, I have physically passed all the tests. I can drive in the state of Missouri as long as I have a passenger side mirror. Show me any cool pics of passenger side mirrors that might be or not be correct for a 67 plus truck. I am not disabled but they tell me I need one. I don't want to crash into you either. I have been a one eyed driver since 1984 and have never been questioned about this until now. Please send pics from both sides as the state of Missouri thinks I can only see one side at a time unlike everyone else. It will also help me find some cool mirrors to abide by the law.

Last edited by DavesRide; 12-24-2007 at 04:02 PM.
DavesRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
DavesRide

Re: One Eyed Drivers Laws

Can any show me and or tell me where to get a nice set of mirrors stock or custom?

Last edited by DavesRide; 12-24-2007 at 04:10 PM.
DavesRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
truckdude239

site vendors http://67-72chevytrucks.com/links/browselinks.php?c=2

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Exclamation Re: One Eyed Drivers Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesRide View Post
Ok, I have physically passed all the tests. I can drive in the state of Missouri as long as I have a passenger side mirror. Show me any cool pics of passenger side mirrors that might be or not be correct for a 67 plus truck. I am not disabled but they tell me I need one. I don't want to crash into you either. I have been a one eyed driver since 1984 and have never been questioned about this until now. Please send pics from both sides as the state of Missouri thinks I can only see one side at a time unlike everyone else. It will also help me find some cool mirrors to abide by the law.

Hello Dave,

I go for my first drivers licence renewal since I lost my right eye on the 12/29/07. I never really trusted mirrors and always look over my shoulder before I change lanes or turn. What was their concern considering you drove for so long with one eye? What kind of physical tests are you referring to? Were you also renewing your licence when they questioned you?

If you could fill me in I would appreciate it.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 12-24-2007 at 05:40 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
DavesRide

It's not really physical but rather the visual test that they give you. The box they have you look in to test your knowlege of signs and accuity, some are seen by one eye and the other is seen you other eye. If you can't see them all you get a letter added to the restrictions granting you a right hand mirror on the vehicle you are driving. Yes it is my right eye also.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: One Eyed Drivers Laws

Dave,
i've never heard of any laws concerning one eye vs. two as long as the eye has proper vision. best of luck to you. i'm sure you are more cautious than most drivers with both eyes. you shouldn't have any problem finding some stock mirrors on here.

p.s.- i went to school with a guy born with one eye ('76 grad) and we did driver training in school, the teachers never questioned his ability to drive a vehicle. he's now athletic director for a major college.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have been driving my entire life with only one eye (or at least vision in only one)

Only one time was I questioned and that is just before my retirement when I was transferring my license from Pennsylvania to Mississippi. I took some eye test in a machine, and couldn't see anything....it's all based on visual depth perception. Told them I was born this way (Lazy Eye) and they said OK. That was it. I'm sure it varies some from state to state though, but Pennsylvania and Mississippi both said I am required to have outside mirrors. Being a former truck driver, my comment was, why would I drive without outside mirrors?

Like esll said, I don't fully trust in my mirrors, I always look (when possible) before I merge/turn.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-25-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

The main thing is they`ll want to see a right side mirror if you`re ever pulled over.All factory truck mirrors come with a right side version,if you check any catalogs you`ll see.
As an aid to widen your scope,there are panoramic interior mirrors such as used by curcuit racers...such as Can-Am and Trans-Am or whatever they call them these days...SCCA racing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #9
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

If I’m following you correctly you don’t want a mirror that will look out of place, and want something that will satisfy the requirements of the law. I’ve always liked the peep mirrors mounted high up on the doors. This wont be as good as some mirrors but will look cool and satisfy the law.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Having mirrors on both sides will satisfy the legal requirement placed upon you. I am running "peep" mirrors on my truck. They offer somewhat vague info so aren't very useful, but beat the crap out of no mirrors at all. I went so far as to put a wide-vison glue-on on the right side mirror, but it was even more useless, especially when I was backing my trailer. Once I pulled that off, it was easier (the distortion adds to the distance issues when backing).

I think that losing our vision rates as the most disheartening aspect of aging, whether it's cataracts or whatever. Diabetes certainly can take its toll, as my sister-in-law has reiterated numbers of times.

Glad to know you are going to be staying on the road.

I'd go with the peep mirrors.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #11
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:

Thanks ever so much for your info. Dave. I have 6 day's before I have to renew my licence. I found some rectangular mirrors I guess you could call them sport mirriors (chrome) they require drilling holes in the door but they look period correct. ++++edited By Moderator++++
esll.

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-27-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
fine69

I am blind in my left eye. Legally blind. All i see are light and shapes. And they are double. Its a birth defect. Not correctable.
I have NEVER had a problem getting a license/renewing. Or been asked about mirrors.

Crazy how the states are different.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #13
DavesRide

My eye got hit with the tip of some conduit that was tied to the barn rafters while my friend and I were playing around with it. 32 years later and 4 surgeries my vision has come from 20/100 to about 20/50 without glasses. In reponse to Jerry Moss, once in drivers ed. I pulled up to a stop sign. looked right, left, right, left, right, left. My instructor said that he would have to deduct for the extra looks. I stated that I only had one good eye and needed to look twice as much. He then stated that he would not deduct upon knowing that. Yes I am a little more careful than my two eyed friends.
This was the first time in good ol' Missouri that I got the restriction in my 24 years of driving. David
Old 12-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Goofy how the laws are...no room for individual cases.

I one-eye drove the Washington state roads for a total of over a decade without ever finding rules pertaining to one-eyed drivers. I never said anything when renewing my license but I'm sure they must have picked up on it at the eye exams. Lucky they were being too lazy to make a big production of it.

I always opted for the biggest mirrors I could find. I feel that without the benefit of stereo vision, the more access to other driver's whereabouts I have, the safer I am, considering the many blind spots these trucks have.

Sorry your vision can't be corrected but I'm glad you still drive and have the use of your other eye. Keep on truckin'!
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
DavesRide

Thanks. My vision is good enough to rebuild the Rochester today and take the 67 for a spin without the right side mirror of course. A man has got to do what he has to do and driving my old truck is one of them. It needs a lot of work but driving it only makes me more inspired. I noticed that I stated my vision was 20/100. That was a mistype. I meant 20/1000. That means what you can see at 1000 feet I could see at 20. I once was blind but now I can see, Praise God!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Cool Re: One Eyed Drivers Laws

What you see here is a very happy guy .... oh, the yellow paper thats my temporary D.L. Thats right just waiting till the permanent one arrives in the mail. I'll be 61 yrs old the next time I renew my D.L. and that seems like a long ways away right now.

esll.

Feels great to not be thinking about this anymore.
Attached Images

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 12-30-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
DavesRide

Roll on Bro.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
BB72CHEVKT

I have a 6 yr old daughter who lost her eye to cancer at 4 mo old. It is good to see all you guys making a go of it with no problems. While we are on the subject all infants need to go to an eye doctor. My set of twins had retinoblastoma (cancer of the retina) and we lost one precious daughter at 16 months. Please for the cost of a copay have this screening done as it is not part of the process. Also if you see any photos of children 8 or younger and notice no red eye in a paticuliar eye they need to be checked. If you have a chance check this ou thttp://www.baylorhealth.com/healthinformation/healthsource/2006/march/03-31-fri.htm this is my wife and surviving daughter. Sorry for the rant and hijack but thought it was important.

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 12-30-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post
What you see here is a very happy guy .... oh, the yellow paper thats my temporary D.L. Thats right just waiting till the permanent one arrives in the mail. I'll be 61 yrs old the next time I renew my D.L. and that seems like a long ways away right now.

esll.

Feels great to not be thinking about this anymore.
You know what would have been very funny....if you would have posted that picture with the paper in your hand upside down (on purpose)...lol. Cracks me up just thinking about it.

Last edited by CG; 12-30-2007 at 09:02 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #20
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Roll on Bro.

Right on! And thank you so very much for your posts, infor, and support.

esll.

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 12-30-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #21
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My ex father inlaw lost an eye when he was young in a logging truck accident. I asked him how he passed his drivers test and he said because of only having one eye it made him have to be more alert to what was going on than a normal driver. Never had a problem getting licensed.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #22
streetstar

I like the stock Cheyenne type sport mirrors on anything --- available as re-pops from a few vendors or any of the resto places that cater to our trucks

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 PM   #23
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
You know what would have been very funny....if you would have posted that picture with the paper in your hand upside down (on purpose)...lol. Cracks me up just thinking about it.

Yeah well believe it or not I looked at it because I never even took notice of it. 50/50 chance here, I got it right side up.

esll.

PS: Thanks for giving me a laugh .... I was stewing all week about this, LOL.

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 12-31-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 AM   #24
CHYNSPR

Nice to hear you got this sorted, John! All the best for the holidays!

Larry
CHYNSPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #25
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Arrow Re: One Eyed Drivers Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
I have a 6 yr old daughter who lost her eye to cancer at 4 mo old. It is good to see all you guys making a go of it with no problems. While we are on the subject all infants need to go to an eye doctor. My set of twins had retinoblastoma (cancer of the retina) and we lost one precious daughter at 16 months. Please for the cost of a copay have this screening done as it is not part of the process. Also if you see any photos of children 8 or younger and notice no red eye in a paticuliar eye they need to be checked. If you have a chance check this ou thttp://www.baylorhealth.com/healthinformation/healthsource/2006/march/03-31-fri.htm this is my wife and surviving daughter. Sorry for the rant and hijack but thought it was important.

Thanks for your imput and sorry to hear about your little girl. I never even thought of this before reading your post.

Thank you so very much,

esll.

I pray that 2008 will be a great year for you and your family and that God's blessings will be with you all..

john.

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 01-01-2008 at 06:29 AM.