The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
69sixpackbee

Factory A/C Into Non-A/C Cab??

I am tired of screwing with the aftermarket, sub-standard "all-in-one" A/C & heater units. Suffice it to say thay suck. They cool great but the total recirculating systems have their drawbacks. I have all of the components down to the last screw to put the factory Four Season system into my '72. Is ther much that I need to do to the firewall openings to make this install work. I believe that the two cutouts are different sizes from the standard cab and the A/C cab besides having the heater core access holes drilled through the firewall as well. I am going to use the underdash vents I currently have so I am not going to fuss with the balls or the upper center vent. I am either going to use my existing Sanden SD5H14 compressor with the re-adjusted POA to keep with the 134A (I dont want to put on the A6) or I will adapt a V5/V7 compressor and can the POA.
I have a few options both of which are very feasable. My only concern is the cutouts in the firewall.
Has anyone here done this type of swap into a non-A/C cab?
Thanx and Happy Holidays!!
Bud Weaver
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
1972Ryan
Account Suspended

Re: Factory A/C Into Non-A/C Cab??

I would like to know also I plan on doing the same thing.
1972Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
nightmare

The non-a/c cabs are different, but I have done this. I had the firewall section from an a/c cab to weld in. I don't have any pics of the welding but I can get pics of the finished product.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
neonlarry

Check out this post, about ¾ down the page:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=218070
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

I did this over 15 year's ago with a templet that is long gone now. Not to hard just cover up the old opening's and then recut. Mark all the stud holes also. Mine works great and inless you really look you would never know I put it in. I would give you more info but got to go.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
lbpd719
Zappaphile!

I will be putting the factory AC back into my truck this winter hopefully. the dingus PO unhooked everything trying to put a stereo in, so I have a jumble of stuff still hooked to the cables rolling around on the floor.

Would be great to see some detail pics of the configs from the blower motor over to the center to help with that though.. Factory assembly manual is leaving a lot to be desired in that area.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
69sixpackbee

Looks easy. Thanx for the help guys and thanx Neonlarry for the link!

I am heading to the junkyard tomorrow with cordless Sawzall in hand and am going to do a little "grafting" to my truck. I will cut the one A/C hole about halfway into the transition to the other cutout from the donor truck and with a little 3M seam sealer and some blind rivets I am good to go. Looks fairly straight forward. I know the cowl is dimpled for the fresh air flap attaching points inside and out and the heater holes are easy with a step-drill. I will just pull the inner fender and hood hinge out and have easy access. Hold the evaporator/fan assembly in place, scribe some lines and drill a few holes.

Piece of cake.

Thanx again for the help!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Bud Weaver
Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

May I ask why you didn't like the all-in-one kit?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
69sixpackbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
May I ask why you didn't like the all-in-one kit?
Sure ya can, Nate.

The all-in-one is a full recirculating system therefore I cannot get the fresh outside air in when I need it such as when using the heater. Most all automotive systems utilize blendable outside air for the heating to keep the windows from fogging up and keeping the fresh air for comfort. This system that I have is just like the OEM when you go to defrost by kicking on the compressor to de-fog the windows but I have to run it always to keep the windows clear and that is not econonomical nor is it correct in all actuality. I have been through the Old Air system and I am now using the "King Cool" unit from Airtique. I have made a custom control panel from a Chrysler 5th Ave. since this one uses all vacuum actuators. It works really slick and looks good as I have spent ALOT of time setting this up and I have it optimized as best as I can. I tried to use the factory vacuum actuator from the right kick panel vent to get some outside air in but it is marginal at best. As far as cooling..it kicks major butt! This is a 134A system and I have it throwing icicles but it is the heater that sucks. Yes it gets nice and toasty but I just like originality as far as fit and function are concerned.

I just want the factory system. I can tweak it for even better performance than the original setup.

When I get it all done I am putting the existing system up on the block.
It has a very large evaporator and is designed as a universal setup for large interior cabins but is tucked up nice in the truck and it looks great and is not intrusive. It blows like a hurricane and the fan makes a bit of noise even on low but it works well.....but it is not the Four Season system.

.....Bud
Old 12-29-2007, 04:05 AM   #10
mrein3

69 1/2 Six Pack Bee I hope you are still monitoring this thread. I did some digging and found the post I made in November of 2003 after I did the sheet metal work on my cab for my non AC to AC conversion. The post I'm linking to pre-dates my newer digital camera. That was still photographed through my digital video camera using a 1 megapixel still shot so the photos aren't that great but I think they show enough detail so you know what you are up against.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=78378

You don't need to cut up a junk yard cab, just add a "J" shaped piece of metal and cut out some of your existing cab. You can make a template for yourself by overlaying rubbings of the non AC and AC cabs. Line up the rubbings using the heater core holes in the cab. Punch the new 2nd hole before you start rubbing paper.

All the dimples are there including the one in the core support where the hard AC lines have to go through.

I can't believe it has been that long. Four years AND I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED THE JOB! I have all the things I need to finish, refridgerant, compressor, new lines. I just haven't got around to evacuating the system and filling it up.

If you plan to use R134a (and I would if I was you) be sure to adjust your stock POA. This is a good link for that:
http://www.autoacforum.com/messagevi...AR_MSGDBTABLE=
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
69sixpackbee

Should have this wrapped up this Sunday. It was very easy to say the least. I cut out a piece from a donor truck firewall and siliconed/riveted it into place after a small bit of trimming. The rest was pretty straight-foreward. All the vacuum pods are in place. New water valve. The A/C hoses I had I just shortened and re-swedged. The POA I already had adjusted down to 26PSI (thanx for the link anyway) and just for good measure I put a new TXV in. I have 3 more good and adjusted POA's for stock..they are good to have and rare as hen's teeth!

I'll let y'all know how it works.

Thanx again!
Bud
Old 01-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #12

my dad merely made a template off of one of our a/c cabs, then taped it on the non-a/c opening and cut what needed to be cut. you cannot tell it didn't have factory a/c as he also cut the vents, too. looks awesome!!
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Wrenchbender Ret

I have the Vintage-Air all in one in mine & have moisture problems also. It needs more fan speeds. High is noisey & med. doesn,t cool real good on hot day,s. If I did it again I would get the factory system or separate air & heat.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote