The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Chevyman680063

Truck keeps trying to stall

My truck has been trying to stall about 4 or 5 times the last couple of days. I think it has something to do with the fuel system but I'm not entirely sure. It feels like the truck cuts off for a split second but turns right back on just as fast. I checked it the other day and found that one of the hose clamps on the fuel line had come lose and thought that would fix it but tonight when I was driving home from work it tried to stall twice and finally stalled when I stopped at a stop sign. I was able to get it to crank back up after pressing the gas pedal a few times and was able to make it home without it doing it again thankfully. I could not see any other gas leaks though. I've been wondering if it's the fuel pump but don't know how to tell if it's the fuel pump. I was wondering what you guys think it could be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
mexgrhd68

Smile Re: Truck keeps trying to stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman680063 View Post
My truck has been trying to stall about 4 or 5 times the last couple of days. I think it has something to do with the fuel system but I'm not entirely sure. It feels like the truck cuts off for a split second but turns right back on just as fast. I checked it the other day and found that one of the hose clamps on the fuel line had come lose and thought that would fix it but tonight when I was driving home from work it tried to stall twice and finally stalled when I stopped at a stop sign. I was able to get it to crank back up after pressing the gas pedal a few times and was able to make it home without it doing it again thankfully. I could not see any other gas leaks though. I've been wondering if it's the fuel pump but don't know how to tell if it's the fuel pump. I was wondering what you guys think it could be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
disconnect fuel line before it goes into carb, have someone crank the engine a little, if fuel gushes out most likely it's not the pump, then go ahead and check the fuel filter that is in the carb, may be plugged up a little or since you're there already go ahead and change to a new one. mine did that a couple of years ago, and it was the filter that is in the carb. I also went ahead and installed one of them plastic see through filters that install inline between the fuel pump and the carb for that extra insurance, know what I mean. try this it may be helpful. goodluck.

Last edited by mexgrhd68; 12-28-2007 at 06:22 PM.
mexgrhd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Chevyman680063

Re: Truck keeps trying to stall

Thanks, can't believe I forgot about disconnecting the fuel hose and have someone try to crank the truck. The motor I have is a '90 something GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor with an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb so the fuel filter is not in the carb, I probably should have mentioned that, sorry. I'll probably get a new fuel filter anyway though. Thanks again.
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
mexgrhd68

Smile Re: Truck keeps trying to stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman680063 View Post
Thanks, can't believe I forgot about disconnecting the fuel hose and have someone try to crank the truck. The motor I have is a '90 something GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor with an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb so the fuel filter is not in the carb, I probably should have mentioned that, sorry. I'll probably get a new fuel filter anyway though. Thanks again.
not a problem, hope this will take care of your dilemma, since it sounds exactly like what was happening to my truck. Let me know what happens.

Last edited by mexgrhd68; 12-28-2007 at 06:55 PM.
mexgrhd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
dingo_dan_22

Have you ever gotten your gas tank cleaned. Mine had a few inches of rust and dirt sediments in the bottom. It took two new filters, two carb rebuilds, and a new fuel pump to finally figure out that there was rust in the tank.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
azolakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo_dan_22 View Post
Have you ever gotten your gas tank cleaned. Mine had a few inches of rust and dirt sediments in the bottom. It took two new filters, two carb rebuilds, and a new fuel pump to finally figure out that there was rust in the tank.
Thanks for this suggestion. My truck is doing the exact same thing, and I have replaced the fuel filter(s) twice and had it into the shop for three days, where they drove it all over creation and couldn't get it to stall at all. I had started to think about what might be in the tank. I'll siphon out the bottom and see what turns up.
azolakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Shyguy

You should check the two rubber hoses in the fuel line, one is just before the pump and the other is under the cab on the passenger side.

Danny
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
azolakov

Thanks. I cleaned out the tank, blew out the lines, replaced the hoses (and repaired the float in the tank, which had a hairline crack). Found a lot of gunk and junk, Now the problem seems to be solved--and I've got a working gas gauge, to boot!
azolakov is offline   Reply With Quote