The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

Question Help with Edelbrock 1902 hose connections ?

I bought and installed a factory re manufactured q-jet Edelbrock model 1902 carburetor [divorced choke] for my early 68 396.

I am having trouble sorting out the hose connections.

I have the install manual that lists what the various connections on the carb are for.

The problem is that I am not a mechanic and have almost no idea what the listed connections go to on the truck.

Is anyone else running this carb on their 396?

Will someone post a pic for me that shows where the hoses on the truck connect to the carb?

There is a hose from the distributor [HEI]...

There is a hose from the passenger side valve cover...

There is a hose from the vac gauge in the dash cluster...

There is a hose from the drivers side valve cover...

There is a hose coming from the brake 'booster?'...

Pics are worth a thousand words... I need pics to understand.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
WinDancer

Re: Help with Edelbrock 1902 hose connections ?

Ttt
Old 12-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
My72BB

Okay...The large port under the Fuel inlet on the front (Filter) is for your pcv valve. If that is your engine with ram air then it looks like you have the pcv valve in the passenger side valve cover.

The small port above the left (drivers side) needle adjust screw should be for your distributor.

In the back center of the carb there should be a threaded port which will be for your brake booster. Your vacuum gauge can hook up to any of the smaller ports that provide constant vacuum.

What I could not see in your pictures is the hose from your left valve cover...It should connect to the underside of your air cleaner or you should have a breather. From the factory there was a spacer between the carb and air cleaner which had a hose to the valve cover...this provided ventalation to the motor.

Should be able to plug the rest as they are for trucks with a few more emission options and accesories.

It looks like you had a Holley on there before and the hookups should be similar...If you have unused ports thats okay...Just plug them.

What did you do with the holley?

Hope this helps...

Alan
My72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
WinDancer

Alan, thanks for the detailed response.

It sounds like things are where they should be, except the vac gauge. Is it possible to damage anything if I just try the vac gauge connections on the unused ports until I find one that works? I would only start the engine long enough to see if the gauge is working. It worked with the old carb.

I was just gonna take the old carb to work for my desk. If you have a use for it you can have it for whatever the postage costs.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #5
My72BB

The vacuum gauge can hook up to any vacuum type port and not damage gauge. The port on the right side (passenger side) of the pcv port should do the trick for the vacuum gauge.

One other thing to look out for on your motor is if you are running the factory cast iron high rise manifold...take a look at the base gasket for the Carb. The factory plummed a small exhaust port (heat riser port) in the center to heat the choke on the right side of the manifold. I have had situations where the open style Quadrajet gasket will not do the trick. When you start the motor it will back fire and run very rough due to this small amount of exhaust trying to go the wrong direction.

If that is the case you can purchase from Summit/Jegs/Hot Rod Shop...a set of base gaskets for a Quadrajet that I believe is called a Heat Shield which is 5 thin gaskets...3 felt and 2 sheet metal...The sheet metal is sandwiched between the felt and this prevents the heat from coming back through the Carb. Your motor looks freshly rebuilt...they offer block offs for the heat riser ports in the center of the manifold...so if the block-offs were installed with the intake gaskets...this will not be an issue for your base gaskets.

At Jegs the part number for the heat gasket is 720-86.

Hope this helps...By the way that Ram-Air is WAY COOL. Where did that come from?

Also, I am interested in the old carb (what is the old carb?) if you have no interest...I appreciate your generocity...I would purchase also and shipping would be to 76131...Saginaw, TX (Ft. Worth).

Alan

Last edited by My72BB; 12-30-2007 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Added p/n
My72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
WinDancer

I finally got to the truck again today. I just capped everything and then hooked the vac gauge to them one at a time until the gauge worked correctly. It ended up bing the port on the choke side.
Happy camper.
My72BB: The flat rate charge is 8.50, any weight any US addy.
You are welcome to the holley for parts or whatever. I had it rebuilt twice with no improvement, and I broke the plastice thingy on the throttle side getting it off the truck. Your call- PM your address if you want it for just the delivery cost.
Many thanks!