The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Ackattack

Cab floor repair

I finally got the time to repair the floor in my 72 GMC. I've had the patch panels for about 3 months. I also got efabman's DVDs and they were very helpful. I'm really glad I did this, cause it really needed it, and I learned a lot that I'll apply to the 68 that has much more repair work to do.

Now, I've had this truck for 10+ years. I had it painted back in 99. I was in college at the time, and didn't have the body shop work on the interior or bed to save money. The previous owner had pop riveted some sheet metal over the holes. I think there is a statue of limitation on how long you can blame the PO and I'm pretty sure it's less than 10 years When I finally removed the rivetted metal I was really surprised how bad it was (It's usally covered with carpet....outa sight, out mind

So this is the pass. side:

I cut out the area, being careful not to cut through the cab support.

Then trimmed and trimmed and trimmed some more the replacement panel (using a lot of the techniques shown in efabmans DVD). Then I welded it back in.

Finally, I put seam sealer on. I filled the seam between the floor and the kick panel. I also did all of the welded seams. I really don't know if I needed to, but I figure it couldn't hurt, and won't be seen. Then I sprayed on some paint to make it look all purty (even though it's under carpet.

Oh, I also found another surprise I wasn't expecting. There was a rust hole where the stock bench would bolt in, so I cut that out and replaced it....it was pretty easy though, since it's flat.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
1969k10stepside

Re: Cab floor repair

Nice work,I wish mine needed that little repair..I had to repair my cab from the cab supports up to the lower moldings..There's about 25% of the floor that's still original,the cab corners,floor and the rockers are all new..

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 12-31-2007 at 04:46 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Rokcrln

Re: Cab floor repair

The floor looks good but I would bet their is as much if not more in the lower A pillars. I have done a few of these now and that A post always seems to rust out first. Did you stop what ever was causing that water to get in their in the first place?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote