The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
1970pelle

opinion on my free mufflers

Happy New Years guys.My brother gave me 2 new in the box Turbo II mufflers.I goggled them I'm pretty sure there made by cherry bomb.My plan is getting a new system installed this coming week so my brother though he would save me a few $$.They look to me that they will be loud.I did a search here about turbo mufflers read lots of post.But didn't find anything specific.I'm on the fence here.What do you think.86,C10,305,auto,stock.I have removed all emission stuff and will lose cat.
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
SSC's76
No No

Re: opinion on my free mufflers

Turbo mufflers are loud and drone at highway speeds. Some people like it and its not nearly as bad a flowmasters but making a call on the highway is kinda hard. I had the same mufflers on my 86 and had them dump out the sides behind the wheels. I suggest brining them straight out at the bumper. But they flow well and do retain a slight back pressure so your not going to pop on deceleration. I think your going to like them.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
munroe

i picked up a set for my truck. havnt got them on yet, but my old roommate had a set on his 90 1500 with a 350 and they sounded pretty good
Old 01-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

years back i took the set i had on my tuck off cause they would make so much noise you could hardly hear the radio unless you had it all the way up. The truck i had then was a metal cab with no real interior trim to absorb some of the sound and vibrations it was a 72 .

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Ive got some cherry bomb super turbos on my camaro and love them, even at highway speeds and higher, like any muffler it differs from person to person. You coud just get the exhuast and clamp the muffler on and see if you like them, worst case senario you take them back off and swap them for something else.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

where your exhaust exits has a lot to do with what you'll hear in the cab - having it dump under the bed and before the rear axle makes for lots of in-cab noise, the sound waves bounce all over between the axle, the road surface, and the bed. Having exits somewhere outside the truck, such as all the way back under the bumper, will help a lot with drone - first thing I notices after I put my stacks on was how quieter the cab is, even with the exits being right about a foot above my head tis still not even close to the loudness I had before with the short exhaust.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Pyrotechnic

My truck used to have turbo mufflers. It had flowtech long tube headers, generic turbo mufflers, set up as true duals all the way to the rear bumper.

On the highway once up to speed it was very subdued even at 3000 rpm or 70 mph. No interior resonance at all. Now granted when you gave it full throttle, the truck got pretty loud, but at cruising conditions they were quiet.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #8
1970pelle

Thank you all for your replys.I'm really injoying this site.By far the best chevy truck site.Everyone seams very level headed and kind.Again Happy New Year.Plus a Very Healthy!&Wealthy! for you and your familys.
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #9
1969K10

FWIW, I've run them on 2 trucks over the last ~8 years. I like them just 'cause they're cheap, and have a little sound. They aren't loud, but when you open up the throttle, you can hear them. it'll never sound like flowmasters, or the newer trucks.
If you mount the mufflers under the cab, you will have a lot of resenation noise, all the time, particularly at interstate speeds. I mount them as far back as I can (just in front of rear axle) usually, and they're OK there.

past horses in the stable
72 C10-short step (97-02), 68 C10-long fleet (06-12)
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote