The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
danomano

Need a 87 suburban wiring diagram

I am still trouble shooting that short problem I have. I need the wiring diagram if anybody has a better wiring diagram. I got the one from autozone and the one in the Chilton manual but something is confusing me. Since my gauge/idle fuse blows I would like to see what is all on that curcuit. The chilton only shows lights no gauges. And on the back of my alt. I have a brown and a pink/ black wire on 1 and 2 connection. I assume the brown must be the ground for the gen light curcuit which I do not have since it is a voltmeter. and the pink/black is power for the gauges??? as this does not goto the starter.
danomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Mkcustums

Re: Need a 87 suburban wiring diagram

I have a dealers diagram book and service manuals for the 1989 that I can take a look at and see if I see something on there, should be the same. Maybe if there is I can scan it and email it to you, or try to post it on here.

I'll let ya know what I find (or hope I find)
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Mkcustums

I recently moved and have yet to find the books. (still unpacking all my books)

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, I wasn't on here for a while.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

This help?

1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
danomano

Your drawing is simular to what I have. It shows the red tied back to red but mine does not. I think this on goes back to the voltmeter on the dash. and the brown is the ground for the other circuit. Which reads open on both pins. One side show be ground and the other should put out 12volts. NAPA was out of my alternator( lifetime warranty) but might have to goto autozone and get one.

I took the truck to the dealer to check why the alternator was dead and they said it was from the butt connector the when from the positve side of the battery to the alternator's lug terminal. They crimped and solder the connection and replaced both connections at the battery. I realy don't see how this killed the alternator though? What part of the circuit tells the alternator to turn on? Is there a self starting one the does not need to check battery voltage? Could grounding out 12volt out on 1 or 2 (forgot which one ) kill the alternator?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
wildmanaaron

If the diagram posted does not work, go by the local GM dealer and ask a Tech if they will print one off for you. I bought a GM service manual for my 1981 Blazer since I was redoing a lot of the original wiring and it was the best source for schematics. Alot of the diagrams like the one posted come out of the Haynes books aren't correct a lot of the time.
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Mkcustums

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanaaron View Post
If the diagram posted does not work, go by the local GM dealer and ask a Tech if they will print one off for you. I bought a GM service manual for my 1981 Blazer since I was redoing a lot of the original wiring and it was the best source for schematics. Alot of the diagrams like the one posted come out of the Haynes books aren't correct a lot of the time.

I found my book and it shows the wiring different than shown above. It's a GM service book, very detailed. I just don't have the scanner hooked up to get the info to you.

I have gone to dealerships and had them print off stuff for me as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
danomano

Maybe figured this one out it seems the alternator turn on comes from the computer. If the computer is not working then that is why only battery voltage. When I bought the turn I remember checking for codes and it would only give me "12" some maybe to computer died.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
danomano

Forget that I found another person that had the exact same problem and here is what he did.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=751508