The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2002, 01:07 PM   #1
nosto
Flamin' Bass

Windshield install - gambled, and lost!

Yeah, yeah, I know.
Let the pro do it. Had the phone in my hand to call, and thought, how tough could it be.... it's the plain, non-chrome trim version. What have I got to lose? I did my F-100 and TR6 windshields no problem, and I popped the small rear glass in last week, no problem.

Got new (Chevy Duty) gasket and old, slightly delaminating windshield, rope, soap and window stick. Followed 'junkyardjohn's' instructions from a few months back. Worked the bottom in first, started up the sides and .... 'CRACK' the whole lower corner has a neat little line in it.

Now that I've stopped cussin', it's time to make that phone call....... heck, I really wanted a new windshield anyhow.

BTW: Just looked at LMC's instructions for installation:
1. Fit your new window rubber to your cab first, then install the window glass.
HUH? Has anyone tried it this way...Successfully?

Pics : http://community.webshots.com/user/nosto53

1972 Triumph TR6 - full resto, now with a Toyota 5-speed
1975 F**D F-100 - rusty, but reliable
1982 HD XLH-1000
1967 C-10, shortstep, 350/M21 4spd, nitrogen tank fills fast bags on 4 corners, Toyo 255/45X20s on American Eagle 221 20X8s, shaved locks and handles, antenna, fuel filler, tiny C-notch, rear fuel tank, long headers, Edelbrock, worn 600 Holley, Checkmate flush hard cover, rear pan, custom LED taillights - painted it, too! But don't like it so I'm gonna do it again!!
nosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 01:36 PM   #2
mooneyes

ive tried about 5 times to put winshields in these trucks and was only successful once..and that was with the help of my dad, uncle and cousin who worked at a auto glass place ...i asked him how in the hell the "pro's" get these things in so quick and easy...he said the new winshields are cut slightly smaller to get them in without breakage...by the way the one we didnt break took us about 3 1/2 hours
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 01:39 PM   #3
BIG ORANGE

CALL THE PRO'S!!!!!!!!!!

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 01:42 PM   #4
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

LOL.... LMC doesn't know what they are talking about. That sucks that it broke. I just installed my windshield and back glass last a couple weeks ago with no problems. Used some 3/16" dia nylon rope and some spray silicone lubricant. First I wrapped the rope around the window frame grove (with the loose ends at the bottom). Then I sprayed the silicone on the rope and in the groove. Then I placed the bottom of the windshield seal in the window frame and got it centered. then slowly pulled the seal through by pulling on the rope, one side at a time. Got it in first first try! I'd say it's definately a two person job. Did the rear the same way, but put the top edge in first (that's where a second person is necessary!). Both probably took and hour or so to install. Maybe I just got lucky

Last edited by Slammed67; 10-16-2002 at 01:44 PM.
Slammed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 01:58 PM   #5
nosto
Flamin' Bass

Slammed67 -

Yup, I think part of my problem was that the glass wasn't centered, and there was too much pressure on the one side. That's what happens when you work alone, sheesh, even the wife wasn't around.

BTW: This may be old news, but,

If you are still in primer (and it looks that way, from your cool web page pics!) watch out using the silicone. My body repair teacher tells us stories about someone using silicon and 3 months later, after washing and degreasing the car, still had real bad fisheye after he painted. I know from using the soap that I had it all over the cab!!!!

Hey, did you know your new carpet has eyes? And teeth, and...oh,Ok, it's a camouflaged dog hiding in your truck....
Old 10-16-2002, 02:03 PM   #6
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

nosto: Thanks for the heads-up on the silcone. I went ahead and basecoat/clearcoated aound the windshield and bacl glass frames before instlling the glass/seals. I may have gottn a few drops on the primer, but I'll make sure to clean it up real good before I spray the exterior.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:30 PM   #7
Southpa

I took advantage of insurance coverage for glass that was available a few years ago. The windshield was leaking right above me, of course insurance won't cover that kind of thing. But I also had a few dings (from rocks) right in my line of vision. I only had to pay 100 bucks to get a tinted windshield installed , yes, by a pro. I don't think they offer the same kind of coverage now.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 06:18 PM   #8
nosto
Flamin' Bass

The saga continues...

The pro glass installer just left, not a happy camper. Windshield's in, with a big boo boo right in the middle. Looks like someone hit it with a baseball.

He had it completely installed, and was just pulling the edges of the gasket a little, when, crack. The guy looked like he knew what he was doing, he had done over a hundred before and only broke about a dozen.

Interesting, though, he started by inserting the TOP edge and worked down. I know I saw that on the board when I was searching for instructions, but thought it was a typo. He said it's because of the square corners..."You always start by tucking the square corners in first".

Well, he'll get a second chance tomorrow.

1982 HD XLH-1000
1967 C-10, shortstep, 350/M21 4spd, nitrogen tank fills fast bags on 4 corners, Toyo 255/45X20s on American Eagle 221 20X8s, shaved locks and handles, antenna, fuel filler, tiny C-notch, rear fuel tank, long headers, Edelbrock, worn 600 Holley, Checkmate flush hard cover, rear pan, custom LED taillights - painted it, too! But don't like it so I'm gonna do it again!!
Old 10-18-2002, 06:46 PM   #9
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

I'm glad I know a retired glass guy over 30 yrs exp. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:05 PM   #10
muscletruck

hmmm

i need a new windsheild put in..how much do the "pros" cost to put it in? just an average i know thats each place is different.. just curious.....i didnt think putting in a windsheild was that hard then i hear all these horror stories so i am contemplating the "pros"....thanks everbody

78 Crew Cab Dually
454/TH400, Dual Flows, Edelbrock Intake, Cam, Lifters, Billet Grill, K&N Airfilter, Grant Steering Wheel, A/C, soon to be power windows and locks, lots of plans for this...

....gas prices go down please
muscletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:54 AM   #11
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

ive instaleld couple of them into 67-72 ford trucks but never isntleld into 67-72 GM trucks, only ever removed an never replacement.

did help replace one on 98 K1500 silverado, bed of glue, takes a reciprocating saw motor deal(like sawszall) but with a flexible large wide spade bit tool in the chuck to cut through the bed of sealant, yuo do this easily from inside cab of truck, go aroud it a few times to make sure you cut through alll the glue, and then the glass comes right off the truck easily. laying new glass on frame is no biggie, just clean up the glue bed make it pretty smooth and lay down new glue bed all arund frame and lay glass on truck and push in stripping all around it to center and hold it and then youre done after replaciing stripping in door frame at pillars and wiper arms back on

to bad all that info wont help you though, all i can say is dish soap, exterior type phone cord or similar and a helper and take your time stay very alert as to exact positoopn of the glass when pulling stripping back over pinchweld of glass frame inside the cab,. you want end of line cord at bottom center of stripping put some black sealant inside stripping all around, some will stay on cord line but oh well,.

the black sealer is 5 bucks a tube at glass places for caulk guns and is correct stuff to use

good luck
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 01:04 AM   #12
Hooter
My other Love

windshields and automatic transmissions are thing i wont touch. Of course the pros always make it look easy until i try it and fail miserably

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 02:30 AM   #13
firstgencamaros

I had the pros come and do mine 2 weeks ago. Took them 4 hours, 3 gaskets and 2 windshields. By the time it was all said and done there were three "glass techs" there too. Glad I had glass coverage for this one. They quoted me $385.00 before I told them I had insurance.
Better them than me!
Old 10-21-2002, 09:15 AM   #14
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I worked in auto glass in the 80's(yea, 100yrs ago!). Most of the windsheilds I did were a glue in type,but I have done a few 67-72s, including my chopped top longhorn. I was taught to start the bottom first, & work to the top, & have always used a hook tool & lots of soap to pull the rubber in. I wouldnt think about setting one of those sheilds without using a new seal!
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #15
junkyardjohn

Lightbulb

GEEZE -- YOU GUYS SCARE ME.... I'VE PUT IN SEVERAL WINDSHEILDS IN THESE OLD TRUCKS, & I GUESS I'VE BEEN LUCKY SO FAR (OR NOT UNLUCKY). THINGS TO REMEMBER..... IT TAKES TWO PEOPLE...... THE GLASS HAS TO BE CENTERED...... IT WILL NOT!!!! CENTER ITSELF DURING ISTALLATION........ I USE PLENTY OF SPRAY SILICONE & YES IT WILL CAUSE FISHEYES IN PAINT, SO I NEVER PUT THEM IN TILL I'M ALL DONE PAINTING (ON A RESTO). OLD WINDSHIELDS TEND TO GET BRITTLE (AS COMPARED TO NEW)... & LOOK OVER THE MATING SURFACE REALLY REALLY GOOD(PINCH WELD AREA) & WORK IT OVER WITH A HAMMER & DOLLY & DIE GRINDER BEFOREHAND...... IT'S GLASS.. IT'S CURVED & DOESN'T BEND WORTH A SH!T...... FORCING JUST DOESN'T WORK!! GLASS SHOPS OUT HERE WILL INSTALL ONE FOR ABOUT $30 , SO IF IN DOUBT, LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT, BUT BELIEVE ME, THERES NOTHING MAJICAL INVOLVED..
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:16 AM   #16
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

When installing windshields in these type of trucks its best to start at the bottom. If the bottom goes in first then the windshield is able to stay in the proper position. If starting at the top the weight of the windshield puts a drag down on the windshield which then does not keep the window fully seated on top which then puts pressure on the glass when the bottom is in which in the end cracks the glass because of the pressure.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:50 AM   #17
nosto
Flamin' Bass

Well, they're on their 3rd attempt at installing the windshield. The first one cracked, the second had a big scratch in it, so they sent it back, And, today, they tried again, and broke another one.

Now they say they got a bad batch of windshields and are ordering new ones from another source. Whatever....just install it without breaking it is all I'm asking.

BTW: This install (New Jersey) is $190, includes (made in Mexico, thinner than the original one I broke) windshield, gasket just like the one I ordered from ChevyDuty and installation.

1982 HD XLH-1000
Old 10-21-2002, 01:42 PM   #18
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I don't think the "pro's" you hired are pro's at all!! Must be Jim Bob's Windshield Fixers! They'll probably never do a 67-72 again! You might suggest they start at the bottom next time.... hell, what have they got to loose?! Maybe you should print off Junkyardjohn's instructions and let them read it. Good luck!

Last edited by Slammed67; 10-21-2002 at 05:40 PM.
Slammed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 03:50 PM   #19
mikep
Used to have a truck

Your Pro's are schmucks! I did mine yesterday with my brother helping . Neither one of us have ever done this before and it took us an hour and a half and only had to take that long because we had to figure out what we were doing. It wasnt hard at all. I used a lot of dish soap and some nylon rope. No problem.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:36 PM   #20
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

My wifey helped me set the sheild in my longhorn(4 " chopped top)......Id say the "pros" didnt have all their ducks in a row! They need to be advised to install the the bottom edge first, & make damn sure that the glass is centered. It shouldnt take more than 1-1 1/2 hrs to set that glass
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote