The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
ErichK

Stereo setup

Hey all, I'm new to the forums.

I have a 1986 GMC Sierra Classic and I want to get a nice stereo system in there, but have no idea where to get started.

I would like either 2-4 speakers and a sub. Right now it doesn't even have a stereo, so any ideas are welcome. What is the best place to mount the speakers, and what type of sub would I need to fit under the seat? All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
ErichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: Stereo setup

You my want to post this in "Truck Audio" it is now under the "Electrical" thread. Some one will help you out faster in that thread.

Trav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichK View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the forums.

I have a 1986 GMC Sierra Classic and I want to get a nice stereo system in there, but have no idea where to get started.

I would like either 2-4 speakers and a sub. Right now it doesn't even have a stereo, so any ideas are welcome. What is the best place to mount the speakers, and what type of sub would I need to fit under the seat? All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im one of them guys that dont believe in cutting the truck apart for a stereo.. they can easily make you a set of brackets to put two speakers in the rear behind the seats in the corners unless you can find a set of 4X10 that give you the sound you want.. one of the vendors here Captkaos sells kick panels you can stick speakers in without cutting the heck outta the cab and you can throw some 3X5s in the dash..
depending on how far your seat is back you could prolly build a sub box and put it behind the seat
Some of the catalogue companies sell radios that fit in the stock holes and have higher output.. i dont know what you are looking for tho
Im an old fart by alot of the members standards i dont want or need a radio i can hear five counties over i just wanna hear stuff over the motor and road noise tho
hope that info helps some

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
benoit454
Chris

Well in an 86 k10 I ran some pioneer 4x6's(I think) in some wood panels I made to hold them out, so I didn't have to cut the dash, or cab, then screwed them into the footwells, down on the kickpanels, but they were kinda under the dash because you couldn't see them. Then I had 2 12's in a very slim box behind the seat, the back of the seat was open so I had just enough room.

Now in our 84 we couldn't put a big 12 box behind the seat because it was covered in the back and my dad hates for it to be moved up, so I cut down a 2 -10's box and made it fit 2 10's I had. Then I made a box to hold 2 6x9's and the 2 4x6's and put them behind the seat too. Our dash was already cut in both trucks for a cd player so we didn't have to worry about that, but it's not hard.

Cut the 2 tabs where the old knobs came through and bend em back or cut them off completely, then trim the dash out (plastic part) with a jigsaw or dremel tool or something along thoose lines.

Personally I want to try some of the shallow mount subs since they are thinner and maybe require less box space, because my 10's suck now not haveing enough box space.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
evan

Here's what I did a few years ago.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=183092