The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Time to RANT!!!

OK, I've been patient with a few things around here but its time for my rant segment!!
WHY do guys say they want something and then you never hear from them, or you send them total with shipping, they are on the board after you do that and they do not reply at all!!! Sometimes when they do reply they say the money is coming but it doesn't!!! Now don't get me completely wrong on this, 90% or maybe even better of my sales go good but that 10% or whatever it is drives me crazy!!! If you don't want the part after you've been quoted or if something happens and you cannot afford the part. All you have to do is pm me and let me know. I'll understand those situations BUT if you tell me money is coming and it doesn't or if you never get back with me at all, thats just not right. Some are repeat buyers and I never had any problems with before, some are new buyers. I'm not trying to upset anyone but I guess a wake up call is needed.
Thanks Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"

Last edited by teeitup; 01-14-2008 at 09:00 AM.
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
lbpd719
Zappaphile!

Red face Re: Time to RANT!!!

one of the pitfalls of doing business on line I guess. Did you need me to make a run up to the hills for you to look at that truck?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

Re: Time to RANT!!!

I hear and understand what your saying. I believe there is another post on here talking about the integrity of board members. It really sucks to be let down when you think you have something sold.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
teeitup

Thanks guys, I got 10 deals that this has happened to in the last month alone. A pm about whats going on would make things alot easier on me. Thanks Randy
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
Old 01-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
redhead69
fugedaboutit

Ive done that before.. but usually its when there price pisses me off so much that its better if I dont reply because Id probably say something I didnt mean.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
drunkbus

I am not sure who the people are or if they are subscribing members or not but my opinion is that I would only sell to subscribing members. If someone can't scrape together $25 a year to support the site they probably don't care about following through with any other deals. They have nothing to lose. If they are removed from the site for bad dealings, they had nothing on the line in the first place.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
68K20 x Drill

Having sold a good amount of stuff on craigslist, one flake in 10 sounds Really Good!
Here it runs in the 40-60% range

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars

Last edited by 68K20 x Drill; 01-14-2008 at 09:31 AM.
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Randy,

That is one of my pet peeves on here also. I don't sell a lot of stuff on the parts board but I read a lot of the ads so I know what goes on. Another is when somebody lists something in the classifieds and guys jump on it knowing fully well they probably can't come up with the money or won't be able to afford the shipping. I guess some people just have to be able to say "I was first" whether they really want it or not... or they can use the time to try and come up with the cash and they will still be "first in line". To me that just kills the ad. Many people that might have been genuinely interested won't read it again because they think the item is sold, then the deal falls through. I know many long distance deals happen but if it involves heavy or bulky items and a long distance there is a really good chance it is not going to work. Stop and think before you reply to a "for sale" ad.

As long as I'm on a roll, on the other side is the guy that posts two pages of stuff and says "I will post pictures and prices later"... WTF!! Get everything ready and post it all at the same time. It doesn't take any longer to do... Or the guy that posts "parting this truck" knowing he is going to be out of town for the next week.

Another thing, if you buy something from somebody or someone sends you a freebee part, PM them and let them know you received it. It's just a common courtesy as far as I'm concerned.

I could go on and on but I'm already out of character here so I will quit.

I thought about listing the white truck for sale on the board but I'm almost afraid to..... When I decide to list it I'll probably go with craigslist.... I know you can run into some of the same problems but that way the first one that shows up with the cash gets the stuff....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

That's almost as bad as people who put things up for sale and then never come up with a shipping quote.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I've never bought any parts from here or asked anyone for a quote. But, I do see where some may want to know the price and shipping cost of an item to see if it's in their budget. That doesn't mean that the person asking is going to buy it. It may be that he just wants an idea of the cost.

You have to be able to give people the information whether they purchase or not. Many times I've asked someone for the cost of an item and not purchase it.

Now if someone commit to buy and then doesn't want it, they should let the seller know. That's only common courtesy.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
teeitup

Thanks for the input guys. I understand guys needing to know how much shipping is going to be, if I'm going to take the time to get it and then if they don't want it, atleast they could say no thanks. I know it takes longer for me to get a quote than it does them to type in No thanks. I probably just didn't get enough sleep last night, and woke up GROUCHEY!!!
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS

Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
AuggieStyle

what i want to know is what constitutes commitment. i had a deal the other day where someone in front of me asked about shipping but never said "put me in line" or "ill take it". i said i would take it but said item was sold to person who inquired about shipping only in the initial reply.
so getting to my point is; encounters like that force people to commit whether or not they are ready to buy.
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

You have a legitimate complaint,there Randy.I`m surprised it`s only now being brought up.With all your deals I`m sure it`s nothing new.It`s weakness in character.It`s easy to see what you`ve wanted show up here and type in,"I`ll take it!"The hard part follows.You just made a committment and both,now,have a job to do.You just "took something on" that won`t be done until you have the part in your hands.RThe main thing is say as you do and do as you say.The deal happened because of this great communication devise that drops things from all over right into your lap(or desktop).Use that same devise to complete the deal.It`s about communication.
I`m careful to commit,although I do it alot.If you don`t commit,someone else can come along and take it.But,a guy can commit too soon and find the shipping is too much.I think how you word it is really important.I think,"I`m definately interested pending shipping",should be respected as a committment by other buyers,yet acceptible to back out once shipping cost is known.You can put yourself in line and keep checking to see what turned out with shipping.I`ve been willing to buy regaurdless of shipping,but would expect to wait for a previous responder to get his quote first.
I hate backing out on a deal.But,I`ve had to...things happen.But,I do what I can to avoid it.I`ve bought alot of things I shouldn`t have because I said I would.It`s tough to let someone know you`re backing out.And,it`s not as good as going through with it.But,we already know it`s a bad thing to lead someone on,then let it dropSo,why add leaving them wonder when if they knew they could at least cut there losses and get it back up fro sale.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 AM   #14
twotrucks

Yep, I here what you are saying. Three times this last summer, different board members spoke that they wanted something with shipping quoted and I did that and then literally months went by without a word. One even said he was dropping payment into the mail well 4 months later it's not here. One sale was local - we live in the same city - and still isn't complete. There are dead beats everywhere. Sad thing is these were all under $50.00 each.
twotrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
odog

I have never sold anything here, or boughten for that matter, but i will probably be buying in the future. But what it comes down to is peoples word doesnt count for anyhting anymore. When i was little dad taught us that our word was everyhthing. If we committed to something we did it, no matter what it cost. That isn't taught as much, if at all these days. People committ to something, then immedeiatly think what if I can't do this, how am i gonna get out of it. As internet users, we are somewhat annonymos, I wouldn't be able to pick any of you out if I was talking to you in the store, and that makes it easy for people to back out of deals. I'm not condoning it, just my 2 cents as to the situation.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #16
vtblazer

IIRC, I started a thread last year titled 'Sellers Rant' about all this same stuff.

If the intent to buy isn't genuine, don't post...how hard is that to figure out?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote