The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
first truck

clean the gas tank

I just got this truck and it sat for 20 yrs, with gas in it of coarse]. The person I bought it from did clean it out before hand but after running a tank of gas through it I must have loosened up the material he sort of left behind. I shook enough out of the tank to tar my driveway. Now what is the best thing to use to clean the rest, Should I just soak and rinse a thousand times or is there something like Zylene or MEK that would work with one shot? I took chunks out that I had to break with a screwdriver to fit threw the filler hole! Thanks

Last edited by Fred T; 01-15-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Wanted to buy only allowed in the classified section
first truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
PrerunnerRob

Re: clean the gas tank

If you lived closer, I have a tank and a sender you could have. Sorry!
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
first truck

yea walk it to ,me, I 'll meet you half way
Thanks anyway
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
PrerunnerRob

I'll meet you halfway walking, I'll see you in 6 months!
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
pugs

any radiator shops in the area, most shops have a steam/pressure washer booth they use to clean radiators and someplaces will do gas tanks
Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

To clean your tank put in a short length of chain, a couple of handsful of big nuts (1/2" or bigger) or some hard rock with sharp edges (granite). Then start rocking the tank back and forth. This will knock the big flakes of rust.

Then rinse it out with water and check for leaks. If it leaks, it's usually best to buy a new tank. After that you will need to seal the tank. Eastwwod and POR-15 both have good sealers. Follow their instructions to finish cleaning the tank. I usually use lacquer thinner, followed with a water base cleaner.

If you have a power washer, you can usually get most of the junk out with one. We used to go to the car wash in the middle of night, but that's no longer advisable.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
wild one
Registered.........

I agree with Fred, large nuts, bolts, washers, marbles, ball bearings (the neighbors small dog ) what ever you have access to that can be put in the tank then easily removed drop in the tank. I will add a step though, put about a cup of dish soap (something meant to cut grease) then put about five gallons of water into the tank.

Seal the tank then shake the bejesus out of it (I've chained a tank like this to a tractors rear wheel and driven it around for 20-30 minutes) then drain and rinse the tank. This will knock any rust/crap loose as well as help dissolve varnish in the tank.

If you don't have access to a tractor (I don't anymore) do the same but toss the tank in the trunk of a car and drive down a windy country road , then flip the tank and repeat. This will work, just not as well as the rotating (tractor wheel) method.

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool!

Popcorn:
Pops at exactly 444 degreese
Expands to 44 times it's original size
Has a 4 year shelf life
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
first truck

How small of pieces must a cut the dog up in? They have 2 of those yippers that drive me nuts everytime I'm out working in my garage. Well alot of you say to through stuff in and shake and since its the cheap way and the tank is easy enough to remove again, I'll try it. Thanks