The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
76bonanza

seat covers

I am wanting to get some black hounds tooth seat covers for my interior. I am debating the factory ones the vendors sell or one hand made. Now mind you I do not have a local person to do but have talked to a few online makers.

Wondering if anyone has any pics of the oem factory ones the vendors sell?
black and white hounds tooth. I am trying to keep the interior in style of the hounds tooth.

thanks
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
tjvending

Re: seat covers

TTT-Thump!
tjvending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #3

I like to keep everything on my truck as stock looking as possible, so I replaced the original worn out seat cover on my 71' Super Cheyenne with the original black and white houndstooth seat cover from Jim Carter Truck in KC. (they were the cheapest I found) I personally would not have one made if you want it to look totally stock. These aftermarket ones are made with the same fabric and look exactly like the stock ones. I put it on myself and it was very simple. The Brothers truck website has a section explaining how to do it step by step. All you need is the cover, a set of hog ring pliers, and the hog rings.

I also replaced the bottom seat foam in the process (very expensive, but made a world of difference). I can tell you that my seat looks and feels exactly like it did new. Just make sure you take your time and pull the fabric around the seat very tight before you crimp the hog rings shut. This way there are no sags. I'm extremely anal about everything looking perfect and original, and I'm very happy with the results. Plus it was kind of fun.

P.S. great time to lube the channels the seat slides back and forth on also. I'm sure mine hadn't had a drop of oil on them since 1971! Good luck.
92470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Luvlegs

I too would like to see some pics - any houndstooth (maybe a white vinyl and black/white houndstooth???)

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Please read this thread .... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=275405

Many of our guys carry these. I know PICKMUP out here in the NW really knows his interior stuff. I have purchased new seat foams and seat covers from him, including hounds tooth. I know other board members have had him get custom made hounds tooth covers made for seats that didnt originally come with the truck.

For you guys that want to see pics of hounds tooth covers, try using the search function. There have been many threads with pics. I really like the look of those style seats too.

Mark

Last edited by CG; 01-25-2008 at 12:54 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

It also helps if you lay the covers out in the heat of the sun for a little while, makes it eaisier to handle.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #7
tjvending

See my tread on this- Seat covers- best place to buy- I have a picture of the Black with black and white inserts.

TJ
Old 01-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #8
Luvlegs

This is not meant to be inflammatory by any means!

I did a search on "houndstooth" - there were 81 threads found.
I made an earnest attempt to look at every one (some with 17 or more pages) - skimming for a pic or the word "houndstooth". I have summarized the results: (I only total 70 posts so take this all in stride)
1 - This post
43 - the word only
2 - build threads
2 - with names of suppliers - no pics
8 - original seats (that's open to debate +/-)
3 - w 1 custom pic each - no "who"
4 - total of 8 pics - no "who"
1 - calander
1 - custom - Kenny's
2 - 4 pics (1 Gmc Paul's) (1 LMC) (2, custom)
1 - 3 pics - SMS auto
1 - 1 pic, couple names
1 - 1 pic, Athey's

Now, the original request was to see OEM covers in black/white - the majority of the pics were indeed that type - I saw no reference to "original or OEM" in any thread (wasn't really looking hard either)
My quick whip it up came up with 17 pictures of "new" ones (not custom or rat beds).
There were also these colors: Brown, Green, Black/Blue, Grey/Green and Orange/white - 7 kinds total. I did not count 4 pics of the same seat (didn't make sense to). That only left 10 different pics of houndstooth. Of the 10, only 7 or 8 were about the seats.
That's some slim "looking at" for spending 45+ minutes going through the search of threads. I did however find 1 (ONE!) pic for what I requested.
I am sure there are more to be found and that my numbers are not totally accurate but geesch, it took a LONG time for small result.

Had to add, Pickmup was the most often mentioned vendor from the board and the majority of black/white pics were of Hart-Rob's seats

1972 C10 L6 3OTT

Last edited by Luvlegs; 01-25-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Wow...Luvlegs you are now the official search king If I ever need anything found Im coming to you....or I guess, not found. I was sure more of the pertinent stuff would show up for you.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
Luvlegs

- the only thing I was ever the king of was my ex's double wide trailer.... and she got to keep it!
I'm sure there's more stuff there with different headings but not the word(s). Sometimes the searching thing gets old quick when you are looking for inspiration or are ready to drop a dime. Don't get me wrong, I've often recommended the search feature but it's normally for non-specific "how to" type questions. Also, I WON'T be doing that any more, it takes too long to prove a point! (kinda like arguing with the ex)

1972 C10 L6 3OTT
Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #11
tjvending

Just brought a bench seat cover from Kennystrucks, they had the Black with Black/White Houndstooth inserts. Exact one in my post on 72 seat covers. Great Price too...TJ