The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Woobie

Seat belts

OK, I've looked but can't find an answer. So here's my question. In what year did shoulder belts become mandatory? Did 72's come from the factory with them installed?
Curious, because when I get back home, I don't want the Marines at the front gate of work to give me any grief because I don't currently have them in my truck. Thanks for any info!

Regards,
Paul
2007 Xterra (Wife's ride)

R.I.P. "ESLL"
Woobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
short69

Re: Seat belts

72's did not come with shoulder belts installed unless they were special-ordered, and what I've seen, that was a pretty uncommon option. I think seatbelts werent even mandatory until '71- even though most vehicles came with them. Most state DMV web sites should have the specific laws that pertain to your state, but most likely you should be OK with the good ol' lap belt. BTW thanks for your service!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
COBALT

Shoulder belts were made mandatory a couple of decades ago, but for cars/trucks that were built THEN and forward. If your car/truck predates mandatory shoulder belts you shouldn't be required to install them before you can drive your vehicle, but I guess it depends on what state you live in.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Hell, I'll just jump in with my own .02.
I agree with both short69 & cobalt.
You obviously have, or have access to, a computer, so check your state DMV website.
Out here on the left coast the rule of thumb is, "If the factory didn't install it, you don't have to have it" in regards to things like shoulder harnesses.

As an anecdote, I have a '72 Plymouth & the shoulder harness use is optional. You can choose to attach the harness to the lap belt & use it, or not.
When I went to "traffic school" (don't ask) I asked if shoulder harness use was mandatory under my circumstances. I was told no because the harness isn't permanently attached to the lap belt system.
CA is probably worser than most states on this cr....,ahhhhhh stuff.
I almost said "crap!"

I'm also with short69, "THANK YOU!"

To go off on a small tangent, just outta curiosity, short69, where are you, just roughly?
I have a bro in NLV & a cousin & family in Henderson, plus several other friends scattered about that valley.
So I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

In trucks,seat belts came standard starting in`73.They became mandantory for cars first.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
68 P.O.S.

I'm in the military as well and went through the same thing with my truck. It all boils down to the fact that you are govt. property and you will wear a seat belt in whatever vehicle you drive. Just remember, if you die in a wreck w/o using your seatbelt, your family will get zero benefits. It doesn't matter if the truck didn't come with belts because you can install them and the military requires them.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 01-15-2008 at 05:05 AM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
68 P.O.S.

Also, shoulder belts won't be mandatory as long as you have a lap belt. IRRC the reg that states all of this only says seat belt, it doesn't differentiate between lap belt and shoulder belt.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #8
Sweet72

I never had a problem entering a military installation with the facory lap belts as long as they see you're wearing it.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

lap belts became standard in light duty trucks in 67.
Shoulder harnesses became satndard in light duty trucks in 76 or so.
NO ONE (not even military instalations) can require you to UPDATE safety standards. It is tenchnicly against FEDERAL laws to upgrade safety equipment. If you were to look at the installation guidelines, they say seat belts will be properly worn by all occupants of all vehicles when they are provided by the manufacturer. I went through this on ft hood, I had a cocky first seargant try to tell me I had to upgrade my truck's belts. He was trying to tell my that if I drove my truck onto post again, he'd have it impounded and I would be brought up on charges. Since I love nothing more that to prove high ranking ppl wrong, I spent my lunch at the MP's station getting said info.
Now, you WILL however get harassed by every NCO and officer that sees you in the parking lot leaving and not havin a shoulder harness. You'll also be told by 25% or so of the MPs running around on post.
Word to the wise... do NOT point at your lap when a femail MP pulls up beside you and pulls on her seatbelt. The next step she'll take will not be pretty.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Heard/read about a guy who was stopped by the police for something and then the cop started to pull him out of the vehicle, maybe through the window. One of the issues was the cop thought he wasn't wearing any seat belt. But the guy had his on and the cop got mad when he found out afterwards that the joke was on him.

I had a set of seat belts from a '62 T-Bird that I was going to put in my '54 Ford, but didn't get done before it was totaled in '65. Wouldn't have helped since I was rear-ended.

I am a firm believer in them and always wear them except for movements of my car/truck in the driveway. Wish I could convince my kids that it's right to do, but there's something about people who don't want to spend the extra few seconds that it takes to hook 'em up, thinking they're saving time. Geeze, just slow down for a moment and buckle up. After burying a sister-in-law and niece who weren't buckled up, even though I was already convinced, the evidence further demanded that I do. If you don't, it's no sweat off my nose.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #11
Woobie

Just want to clear up one thing first... I'm NOT currently in the Marine Corps. Former Marine, yes. Active duty, no. I've been a Dept. of Defense employee for over 27 yrs now doing what I can, (machinist), to keep Marine and Navy aircraft in the skies.
Back to the seatbelt issue. I bought the '72 from a buddy of mine who works on base also and he attached the buckle side of an extra lap belt in the shoulder belt location, just to fool the guards. Didn't like that idea. Besides, it really looked bad so I took it off. I haven't been stopped at the gate, but it's always in the back of my mind?!?!?
Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Paul

R.I.P. "ESLL"
Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #12
68 P.O.S.

Okay, being civilian makes it easier. A lap belt is fine, but I would know the base reg and policy so you can call BS if they hassle you on it. LHMan is correct in saying that they cannot make you upgrade your safety equipment. But if you don't have seatbelts they can deny you entrance to the base no matter what year of vehicle.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
tsetsaf

I have a 71 and it came stock with lap belts. There are threaded holes in the pillars for a shoulder belt should I choose to install. (they were an option)

I am about to install a late model seat and will also install shoulder belts.

Mark
tsetsaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Woobie

As was noted earlier, yes, I have access to a computer and went to the NCDMV web site and all I could fine was the standard "proper wearing of the seatbelt" type language. I just needed to know if the 72's came from the factory with the shoulder belts. That question has been answered. Thanks to those of you who took the time to chime in with the proper info. I've got 36 days left out here in Yuma, AZ. Then I'll be back home to start working on my truck. Thanks again for the input folks.

Regards,
Paul

R.I.P. "ESLL"
Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Heard/read about a guy who was stopped by the police for something and then the cop started to pull him out of the vehicle, maybe through the window. One of the issues was the cop thought he wasn't wearing any seat belt. But the guy had his on and the cop got mad when he found out afterwards that the joke was on him.

I had a set of seat belts from a '62 T-Bird that I was going to put in my '54 Ford, but didn't get done before it was totaled in '65. Wouldn't have helped since I was rear-ended.

I am a firm believer in them and always wear them except for movements of my car/truck in the driveway. Wish I could convince my kids that it's right to do, but there's something about people who don't want to spend the extra few seconds that it takes to hook 'em up, thinking they're saving time. Geeze, just slow down for a moment and buckle up. After burying a sister-in-law and niece who weren't buckled up, even though I was already convinced, the evidence further demanded that I do. If you don't, it's no sweat off my nose.
ChevLoRay,
I'm sorry for your loss.
My daughter is alive because she was belted in.

If together, we can save one kid.......

I know it's not a Chevy, but the other implications are clear.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 03-11-2008 at 12:02 AM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 AM   #16
DavesRide

I found out what I needed to know by calling my local Highway Patrol Headquarters and their website. I thought I would go straight to the man who would be first to hassle me. Not that I go without a belt. But I needed to know about my five year old. Since he in undersized for normal shoulder belt he has to have a shoulder belt and a booster seat. The provisions for it were in my 67 but it did not come with them. I got a s-10 belt assembly on passenger side and a lap belt on my side. He loves it. It doesn't look correct but we feel safer.