The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
69C10@16

To All Adults on the Board

Adults, if you have children driving an older vehicle such as these, PLEASE check periodically every single aspect of their vehicle that could cause them to get seriously injured. I was EXTREMELY blessed to find my trailing arms in the condition they were before they broke. Check out page 2 of my build thread (signature) to see how bad they were. I know your kids will get annoyed at you for performing an inspection of their car evrey once in a while, I know I would, but trust me, it's worth it. Had I not found them, I probably wouldn't be alive a few weeks from now. Just put up with them for yelling at you when you check it and tell them you love them.

Thanks,
Newton
69C10@16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: To All Adults on the Board

Although I don't have to deal with the rust issue as much as many of you, I just went trough my daughter's car to make sure all the pieces would stay attached during her trip on Saturday.

(They did too, which is good!)

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Why not check it together? That way you are teaching youngster valuable knowledge as well as spending quality time together.
And as every parent knows, our time together is so short...
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
cdowns

an best solution would be to keep them off the road till they can manage the responsibility of making sure thier vehicle is safe// they're old enough and know enough to install blowmasters on thier vehicles why cant they maintain them or walk
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Woobie

Time together is WAY too short!

Paul
2007 Xterra (Wife's ride)

R.I.P. "ESLL"
Woobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Don't get me wrong 6910@16, it is a parent's responsibilty to ensure their childs safety. And I'm not ripping on you. I've got a boy who will be 16 in a month,and part of my teaching him to drive is teaching him how a car works, what breaks,and how to identify potential safety problems. I can't just throw him the keys and say, good luck.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
69C10@16

Oh I totally agree that kids need to know how to maintain them. I certainly know how to maintain mine. It just scared me SO much to find those arms the way I did. I just wanted to make sure all parents were on the lookout in case their kid doesn't know how to maintain and check things out on a vehicle. I completely understand where you're coming from. And I agree too that checking everything together is a good idea.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

On the truck i just bought from randy (teeitup) the trailing arms are just about to snap, so thats one of the first things im gonna fix, he made sure i knew the trailing arms were rusty though, and by some force of god they are sitll holding on

Edit: its gonna be a farm truck, so its not gonna see any street driving, so thats another factor i thought i should include, id fix those before i made it a daily driver.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 01-15-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
an best solution would be to keep them off the road till they can manage the responsibility of making sure thier vehicle is safe// they're old enough and know enough to install blowmasters on thier vehicles why cant they maintain them or walk
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
My daughter has always changed her own oil & filter. When she had her '68 Chevelle she did a complete brake job on it, tune up, and rebuilt the carb. She also put a new in tank fuel pump in her Beretta when she had it. She has a new car now so she doesn't do the mechanical stuff any more but she still changes her own oil & filter. I'm proud of her....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

ha, my sister didnt know what tranny fluid was, and my dad owns 150 cars. so she must have been adopted, i always told her i was right.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
MisterE72
Keep Your Nose Clean

As overprotective as I am about my boys, I know i'll be taking your advice. In the meantime, i'm just as frustrated with my sons steering issue as he is.
Attached Images

MisterE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
'68 C-20

Hope you don't consider this hijacking the thread but..When I was a kid back in the 60's early 70's we (My Grandfather and Father) owned a filling station/Garage. My father taught Auto-Mechanics at the Manpower training center and did Body Work in my Grandfathers Garage. I grew up around some great cars, trucks and people. The week I turned 16 I bought my first car. My father went with me to pick it up (and approve of it). It was a Chevy Impala with a 283. He approved the deal and I forked out 250 dollars that I had spent weeks earning sticking lumber in a local lumber mill. My father drove the car home for me. When we got home I started to put on the plate with dreams of cruising in it. Dad said, "until it passed inspection it was not going anywhere". I told him that since I had just registered it, I had 10 days to get it inspected. He said that I evidently did not hear him right. He was not concerned with the State of New Hampshire inspection. It had to pass his inspection. Dreams of cruisin’ passed quicker than gas through a funnel and eggs through a hen. We spent better 'n a month repacking wheel bearings, putting breaks on wheels whether they needed it or not, fully understanding' (by explaining it to him) exactly how emergency brakes worked and how to adjust them. It ran good when he brought it home but I still needed to do a tune up, flush the radiator, and change the hydro-matic filter screens. We did not paint it, but we did weld in patches and do body work. It was a good 6 -8 weeks before I ever drove it on the road, but when I did I knew how to maintain it and repair it, furthermore I had so much money and time invested in it, I did not dare to beat on it. All that it was it was because of my money and time. There was no way I was gonna' do anything to sideline it. At the time I never really did appreciate what my Dad was doing, but after that things were a bit different between us. We seemed to be a bit more eye to eye with each other.

My son turned 15 back in October. We stopped the other day and looked at an S-10. He though it was in pretty good shape. I told him I thought it would be good first car for him.
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn View Post
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #15
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

My 7 yr old daughter has her own creeper in the garage and helps me whenever I'm out there . The last brake job I did I loosened the lug nuts and she took them off . I think she's on her way to being a gearhead like her dad . She watches really close and asks lots of questions . she also loves to get dirty !

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Bob 68327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
69C10@16

Lock doc - You should be proud. It seems everyday there are fewer and fewer who are willing to do anything to their vehicles themselves. I think Im one of maybe 5 kids in school who changes their own oil and does any type of work. I just don't see the point in paying anybody else to do something so easy. Why not save a few extra bucks?

68 C-20 - I dont see that as hijacking the thread. That is a great story. My dad was like that with every single truck I ever looked at, EXCEPT the one I ended up buying. We both regret not looking closer at this truck before the purchase. We were both struck by that amazing body style. We both think it's the best GM ever produced. About all we knew was it ran and at the time seemed solid. Within a month I had to replace the exhaust, rear springs, and carb. I still need to replace the lower ball joints and upper Control arm Shaft. I havent had the time to get it done. Everytime I think i have a free weekend, something bigger breaks. lol
Old 01-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
COBALT

When I rebuilt my rear suspension I took the arms, and brushed them down with a wire brush on a drill to see just how rusted they were. Once I realized they were solid (with some areas of separation, etc.) I took them to a fabricator and had them weld plates on the top and bottom, and fill in all of the cracks, etc.

The only problem was getting those U-bolts and spring mount bolts out. They were rusted solid inside the trailing arms. I had to cut the U-bolts out, and I had to reach inside the spring with a dremel tool, and cut the heads off to get the spring to come off. That meant replacing my spring mounts...

It was a lot of work and I went through several boxes of bandaids.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
69C10@16

Since I knew the arms didnt need to be salvaged we used an air chisel and sperated the arm out away from the U-Bolts. Everything came off pretty swell with the chisel. Had I needed to keep the old arms I'd still be taking them off. We put the old U-Bolts back on it for now with the knowledge that they need to be replaced this spring due to rust. We were going to heve plates welded on these and have them weld the two halves together. Had they come in on a monday or something they would've gotten that treatment but I knew I had to get them on this weekend so they just got a TON of paint in hopes that they'll take longer to whither away.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #19
dan42

My dad didn't give a crap, to be honest. I bought a '55 1st series for my first car for $200 back in '73. Total joke when it came to safety. Brakes barely stopped the truck, windows cracked, etc, etc. He did make me insure it, but after that I was on my own. I don't know, he just didn't think about it much, and neither did I, but that was the thinking back then...I would never do that with my son now. That's why he ended up with a new Ranger, I wanted to make sure he had something dependable and safe. 68 C-20's dad turned that into a great life lesson, and took advantage of a wonderful opportunity to get closer to his son. That is what a dad is all about.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
and why shouldn't we as parents double check to make sure our kids are safe. It is our job...Yes they should learn BASIC things to check, but lets be real... not every kid is doing mods to their cars and some even respect them
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #21
Ackattack

Reading a thread like this kinda makes me want to have a kid. I'm hoping to start a restoration with my kid/kids about the time they turn 12ish so it will be finished by the time they're 16. That way they put the hard work into their car, hopefully will take care of it, and will at least know how to work on it.

I guess that won't be for about another 13-14 years though
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #22
69C10@16

Ackattack - I think you've got it figured out. If they have put a ton of hard work into the truck themselves, I'd think they are a LOT less likely to be stupid with it. They'll want to take care of it because of the fact that it took them so much time to complete. I know I try MOST of the time not to be stupid with mine. I think it's inherant (i think that's the right word) that all teenagers are going to have their stupidity moments and are going to gun their vehicles around sometimes. I've gotten better with it because I cruised around one night for an hour and sucked out a half tank of gas. I don't cruise anymore. I think I might have gotten off topic from what I was originally talking about but oh well.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #23
corn

I love my kids enough to give them better vehicles than I have...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote