The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
kenm78
Broken Down

headlight adjustment

Ok I thought I adjusted my headlights but I guess by the number of people flashing me I didn't who here can explain to me the proper way to adjust my headlights ?????

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
kenm78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
72BLUZ

Re: headlight adjustment

the best way i found was just to get on level ground in the dark. turn the lights on. use another vehical for an example. preferrably one that is fairly new. i used my 92 to help get mine right.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
kenm78
Broken Down

Well my wifes Ford sits higher than my old reliable but thats not a bad idea!!

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
72BLUZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm78 View Post
Well my wifes Ford sits higher than my old reliable but thats not a bad idea!!
it may sit higher, but it will give you the idea of how they should be set. i failed to mention you should cover up one light at a time on each vehical to get the angle right.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
kenm78
Broken Down

How about if I park the known good truck about 15-20 feet away from the wall and put tape side to side to indicate height and the tape up and down on each side to indicated location of light?? think that might work.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
matthufham

i used my garage door, it has lines going across, and parked in the middle i let the sides meet the edge of the garage and set the height at a good position for driving. test the high beams too, those are more focused
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham View Post
i used my garage door, it has lines going across, and parked in the middle i let the sides meet the edge of the garage and set the height at a good position for driving. test the high beams too, those are more focused
I do the same thing. I back it into the garage, looking at the door, then line em up. Then I drive it out and check it.
Pl4yboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Premium72

just park the beast flip on the lights and adjust the way you want them. by the time those other cars pass you, theyll have gotten over your lights. ehh. i always drive with my highbeams on (xenons) just for safety, too many deer in my neck of the woods no to. ive been there done that...
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium72 View Post
just park the beast flip on the lights and adjust the way you want them. by the time those other cars pass you, theyll have gotten over your lights. ehh. i always drive with my highbeams on (xenons) just for safety, too many deer in my neck of the woods no to. ive been there done that...
I disagree. That's being discourteous to other drivers who may have trouble with bright lights and it can cause an accident just so you can be "safe".

I can attest to that because I drive country roads at night here in Texas and sometimes have to pull off to the side (no shoulders) by someone that doesn't care how their lights and "fog" lamps are adjusted.

I personally know of one fellow here that followed a truck driver that almost blinded him. The driver of the truck had to call the sheriff.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Also forgot to add, here in Texas there's no requirement by inspection stations to check you beam adjustment. It's up to the local cops, DPS, etc.

You can and will get ticketed.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:49 AM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Another "old school" method of setting is to park 25-ft away from a wall, with the vehicle level. With the headlights on low, you should be looking at a bright spot 24-inches above the floor. Supposed to be a pretty good adjustment if that is what you have.

Here in Arkansas, there are no stations doing vehicle inspections, and a headlight aimer is scare as hens teeth. To top that off, the dealerships don't do it on the new vehicles, either, as far as I can tell. They don't have to.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:57 AM   #12
Premium72

ehh. the way people drive around here. they dont need my high beams as an excuse to plow them selves into an oak. but i hear ya.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #13
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Another "old school" method of setting is to park 25-ft away from a wall, with the vehicle level. With the headlights on low, you should be looking at a bright spot 24-inches above the floor. Supposed to be a pretty good adjustment if that is what you have.

Here in Arkansas, there are no stations doing vehicle inspections, and a headlight aimer is scare as hens teeth. To top that off, the dealerships don't do it on the new vehicles, either, as far as I can tell. They don't have to.
That sounds about how I was taught to do it.

But I was taught that you drive the truck almost right up to the wall, mark the height of the beam on the wall with some tape, and then back the truck up 20-25 ft.
Then you aim the headlights to be level or below those tape marks. ( i guess below if you are driving in a lifted vehicle).

It is really important that you do it on level ground though.

This is supposed to work for any vehicle at any ride height.
I think the 24" height is around right for a stock 2wd truck of our era. That height might be different on a 4x4 or other vehicle.

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #14
kenm78
Broken Down

Thanks for all your inputs I will adjust it when it gets dark tonight. Thanks again.