The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
skokie

Gravity Bleeding Brakes

When you gravuty bleed you brakes do you open up all 4 bleeders and come back in 15 mins or do you do them one at a time?

Thanks

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Gravity Bleeding Brakes

I do all four at once if the whole system needs bleeding. If I only worked on one end than I just open the two on that end. The fluid can start out pretty fast, so be prepared!

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if you are gonna walk away, then I'd only do one end at a time.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

I havent done it as late, but last time the front seemed to drain out faster. I wouldnt leave it, I'd watch the level in the master cyl.

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
truckdude239

when i replaced my rear frame line i just opened both rear bleeders about 3 mins i had fluid pouring out. after that i did a manual bleed to be sure i got all the air out( i let it drian till i got clear fluid out )

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 01-19-2008 at 09:20 PM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
skokie

Thanks guys I will give that a try. Will let everyone know how it goes.

68 build thread
Old 01-20-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If I remember my old school brake bleeding course, you start at the wheel fartherest away from the master cylinder......

Are you sure you can't get anybody to help you by pumping the pedal????? Sure would make it easier to do it right.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:21 AM   #8
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
If I remember my old school brake bleeding course, you start at the wheel fartherest away from the master cylinder......
That's what I was taught too...pass rear, driver rear, pass front, drivers front.

But then again, I've always had someone around to pump the pedal, or enticed someone over with some beers...

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Beer and Brakes....Brakes and Beer....don't matter which order you put them in, does it? Pump the pedal.....pour a beer.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 01-20-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #10
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Yep, as long as both are being emptied out of their respective containers everything should work out.

That is until you fill the Master with beer!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
old_blew_72

i've heard that pumping the pedal just moves the air back and forth in the lines and doesn't really build any pressure or for that matter do you any good at all. the best way is to gravity bleed... furthest to closest, but if you want to use the pedal dont pump it just hold it down while someone else opens the valve then close the valve while the pedal is still down so air doesn't suck back in the lines. then lift the pedal and repeat.
old_blew_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the start at the furthest wheel thing is way old school. That was from the days of single reivour master cylinders.
The rear go to one side now, and the front go to the other side of the master cylinder. It doesn't matter if you go left rear or right rear, there is only ONE line going from the front, to the rear axle.
Gravity bleeding is perfectly fine, and if you are starting from empty (talking aobut the lines, not the whole system) then it is prefered. Pumping takes a large bubble of air, and turns it into many many little bubbles.
Once you have clear clean fluid dribbling out, you can do the old pump and bleed if the pedal doesn't feel good, but most of the times I've gavity bled, it wasn't needed.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

heh, I didn't even think about the way the lines run. Makes alot of sense with the more modern master.....so just don't listen to me!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
skokie

Ok its done. I opened them up with a clear tube going to a water bottle. The right rear was ok, left rear was loaded with bubbles. Layed under the truck for 10 mins listening to the planes coming in for a landing, the right front was ok, left front was loaded with bubbles. Sat under there for 15 mins looking at my frame and thinking how much fun I could have on that frame with my grinder and some sanding discs if I had a place to put my cab.

68 build thread
Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
53burb

did it work good??
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #16
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Andy is absolutely right.....the more air there is in the lines, the better it is to gravity bleed. It does exactly what you need, gets the air out, plus flushes out the old fluid. The old fluid has absorbed water from the air and has caused at least some internal rusting. So it needs replacing anyway.
Pumping just foams up the old stuff. I learned to do it years ago to get a proportioning valve recentered and have prefered it since.
The gravity way is a solo thing too, no helper needed. Not every helper is so helpful.....

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 01-21-2008 at 12:06 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #17
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have a pressure bleeder that I "recovered" from our local dump, back in '75. It still has fluid in it and it still had pressure. Only thing missing is the plate that goes on top of the master cylinder. A man who ran a DX station in our town had died, and his daughter/son-in-law cleaned it out and took what they didn't want to the dump. I think they call it scavenging, but I was saving our environment by taking the scrap out of the ecological food chain.

If you have one of these, it would take gravity bleeding to a little higher plane. LonghornMan brought up a good point, one that I hadn't considered.

But the comments about pumping the pedal just moving the air around.....The principle of hydraulics is that you cannot compress a liquid. It's what makes brakes work....that is the pressure in the master cylinder is directed to a wheel, or several of them, to actuate the wheel cylinder or caliper piston. If there is any air in the system, and it doesn't compress, you have reduced pressure at the wheel that is affected.

Glad you got it done. Lots of good discussion show up here, and that should be good for those who are new to the hobby and/or are learning about mechanical things. It's good for all of us.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #18
LONGHAIR

As ChevLoRay said, there are alternatives....but they co$t. Pressure systems force the fluid down the lines. There are also vacuum systems that suck the fluid from the bleeder valve end too. Gravity is free....
Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
nac593

How do you gravity bleed? Truck level or front wheels higher than the back wheels? I've had my 2 back bleeders open for a while and nothing is coming out. The master cylinder is full.
nac593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #20
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

It may be possible that your rubber hoses are swelled on the inside and preventing the fluid from passing through without the pressure of the pedal. That happened to me long time ago and had to replace all my hoses.

Anyway, these days I do the bleeding with someone depressing the pedal while release the valve. A lot faster and easier -for me anyway.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #21
LONGHAIR

If nothing is coming out, your brake light is probably on?
This is indicating that the proportioning valve is "popped"...meaning that it is in "safety mode" which has "cut off" the flow of fluid to the rear brakes. This happens do to a loss of pressure on that side of the valve. It needs to be re-centered (balanced) by reducing the pressure on the "good" side.
Open the bleeders on the front brakes, pump them a few times going to the floor, you should feel a "click" (the light will go off too)

At that point, be sure that the master cylinder is full and allow all of the bleeders to flow....Don't touch the pedal. Let it run a while, being sure that it doesn't run dry, refill as necessary. Close all of the bleeders before you touch the pedal again. You should be good to go.

rerun of a year old thread, for those who didn't notice....LOL
Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
nac593

I just switched to disc brakes in the rear. The brake lines in the rear are new and empty. The prop valve is centered. I went thru that when I switched the front brakes a few months ago. Still no fluid coming out. Should I have 1 rear open or both? Should I just try to push the pedal to push fluid thru?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #23
LONGHAIR

That little "detail" would have been nice in the first post....

First you should have had to replace the master cylinder too, along with proportioning valve. It is not as simple as just bolting calipers/rotors on the rear axle...

Open both, no need to touch the pedal, it will flow on its own.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #24
nac593

I bought the front and rear disc kits from ECE with a new brake booster, master cylinder, and prop valve. They told me it would be fine to do the front discs first and then at a later time do the rear. They said it was the same master cylinder and prop valve for the drums or discs in the rear. I did the fronts a couple months ago. When I went to bleed the fronts the prop valve got off centered. I took it to a brake shop and they fixed it. Now I just did the rear and still no fluid.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #25
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nac593 View Post
I bought the front and rear disc kits from ECE with a new brake booster, master cylinder, and prop valve. They told me it would be fine to do the front discs first and then at a later time do the rear. They said it was the same master cylinder and prop valve for the drums or discs in the rear. I did the fronts a couple months ago. When I went to bleed the fronts the prop valve got off centered. I took it to a brake shop and they fixed it. Now I just did the rear and still no fluid.
First of all, I'm not buying it that they are the same. The residual valve is different at very least. A drum brake system holds more pressure in the lines when you are not pressing the pedal, this would cause a drag on the discs if it were run like that.

In any case, you have the same problem again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.