The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
BarryB

I need some advice on installing a wood stove in my garage???

I got a small wood stove for my garage. Now the problem i am having, I never installed one before. So I would like to see some pics or some tips on the right way to run the smoke pipe duct work through the wall. I went and bought a "thimble" today. Just a round piece of pipe looks to be made out of brick material. That is all it was nothing to fasten it with or anything, so I figured this is good a place as any to ask questions about this subject.
My wall consist of vinyl siding, 1/2" plywood, 2x4 studs, insulation, 1/4 luon(spelling). Any tips and advice would be helpful.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
kszygc

Re: I need some advice on installing a wood stove in my garage???

I'd go back to where you bought the thimble and ask them what code is your your area. Take the info on your roof, including measurements, maybe pictures. Here are three options of chimneys from http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...ng_a_woodstove
Attached Images

Last edited by kszygc; 01-24-2008 at 06:43 AM.
kszygc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
cdowns

check with your insurance company,they'll probabally require an inspection for you to be covered by insurance they'll also know what codes are
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Something to also consider is a fresh air intake for the stove. All that hot air that goes up the chimney has to be replaced from somewhere. That means your shop will be drawing in cold air all over the place to compensate.

A fresh air supply to the stove means that won't happen.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
check with your insurance company,they'll probabally require an inspection for you to be covered by insurance they'll also know what codes are
My wife is my insurance agent, She told me it was fine. Aslong as it isn't my primary source of heat. which it isn't.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

Two rules in life.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
chipflyer

It must be a state thing. I do know here in Kansas my insurance agent (State Farm) said NO WAY, no wood stove. I have a buddy with American family and his agent made him remove one of those double barrel stoves.
I asked mine if I could have an oil burner and they have no problem with that, always thought it was weird.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
BarryB

I would like some pics of some actual set ups if I can get them. I am on a rather tight budget. I need to do as cheap as possible but I know if I burn my house down doing it. I wouldn't have saved any money. how are you guys doing it?

Two rules in life.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I spent a few years doing heating and refrigeration installations in the first part of the Seventies, so I am out of the loop. Most wood stove installations on a structure would requre the use of "Triple-wall" vent piping, when you have a combustable wall material. I have seen a large amount of installations in my area with a single wall pipe, but the vent is going through a steel siding of some sort. The triple wall is used to get the size of the outlet hole down to a reasonable size. a single wall can be used, but the required distance around the pipe is larger. This would require the metal flashing to be a lot larger in size. Any heating/cooling installer in the area, or the county or city engineer's office will be able to give you the code requirements for the install. If you are in a city, then the city most undoubtedly will want to inspect, so that they can get their fair share of the money that is in your pocket. I know that if you have a wood stove and you stoke that thing up with the right wood, you can melt a cheap quality flue pipe and then you really have a problem, so spend the good dollars here if you can. The County Highway Department shop that I used to work at, had a shop[ built wood stove and we had it glowing a few times. I have seen the heavy wooden work bench smoking at 3 feet away from the stove. We got it that hot. The metal shop siding was turning brown, as well.

The insurance agencies get nervous, due to the possibility of gas fumes moving across the floor and igniting in an open vented stove. If your stove is one that can be installed outside and ducted into the building, then it is pretty safe, since the combustion air is from outside the garage. There are many shopowners in my area, that have not asked their insurance agents, you know how most of us Country boys know what is right, far more than any old insurance agent does. If the shop or house burns down, then the agent wins, by not paying off on the fire damage.

Last edited by piecesparts; 01-25-2008 at 03:30 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote