The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
Nomad88

Body mods for 86 c10

Hi everyone i was looking into doing some body work on my 86 c10. A little info. it is a fleet side and has some aftermaket parts under the hood mostly bolt on stuff (carb., intake, headers) also has aftermarket wheels and tires, and exhaust. I have never done body work before but im a fast learner, i can weld. The front driver side was wrecked so the outer and inner fender needs to be replaced so i figured i would do some body work in the process be4 i got it panted. This is going to be a few year project so all ideas and comments are welcome. Now on to what the form is really about. I was looking at shaving door handles, tailgate, antenna, and put a roll pan on the truck. The question ---> If anyone has replaced the inner and outer fender is difficult and any tips or tricks, also wit shaving door handles if anyone has any suggestions on parts to use and insulation. One more question im thinking about in the process of doing the body work to leave the truck primer, Is there a primer in a spray paint can that i can use that will hold, ( not concerned about looks) Thanks for reading i know it was long lol.
Nomad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

Re: Body mods for 86 c10

Welcome to the forums!

The nice thing about trucks is everything bolts on. A rusty cab is about the worst thing body wise you can deal with. Box sides arent tough to do, but they are kinda pricey. Fenders and doors are inexpensive for the most part (especially when compared to what it costs for some cars, like a single 70 GTO fender is $500 aftermarket and $2000 NOS). replacing a fender is a simple unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one, not much to it.

Ok I just noticed you are in Europe, parts will be more expensive for you there due to shipping and taxes, but it still shouldnt be bad. A couple members here are in Germany, they might have some insights for you on parts. Its much better than it was 20 years ago thats for sure.

Shaving the handles isnt tough to do, nor is it expensive. The toughest part is filling the holes, keeping the panel from warping, and running the emergency cable.

A long board will help a ton getting the huge flat panels wave free. Patience is the key with body work and paint. There is a ton of info available on the net and in magazines, just do some research on it.

Welding on thin sheet metal isnt like welding heavier stuff, like a bridge or a trailer. You need to manage the heat very closely or you warp the panels. A series of spot welds about 10cm apart, then let it cool and do another series between those. A constant bead will really mess things up, you will never get it straight.

If I am driving the vehicle while working on the body, I dont like to leave it in primer. I prefer to spray a cheap enamel on it so the primer doesnt allow water under it. Also the primer will weather off quicker than a light coat of enamel. Doing one panel at a time will make it easier to get it all done. You can leave it in primer, but if its long term you might find it doesnt hold up well. An epoxy primer would be best if you go that route.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad88 View Post
Is there a primer in a spray paint can that i can use that will hold, ( not concerned about looks)
Epoxy primer will hold for about a year, but you'll need to spray it with a gun.
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
Nomad88

-Thank you for the tips and info Thumpin455

-Anyone have any suggestions to seal the metal from moisture that is cheap and quick, preferable be able to apply without a spay gun.
-About shaving the door handles, is there anyone that has done this and used a kit and has installation tips or pictures of it installed?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

inner fenders are real easy and so is the outer... the only thing that i find to make life easier is to use a come along to hold the radiator support so that you can line up the bolts for the outer fender

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
Nomad88

Has anyone used a bearclaw setup to shave the door handles on this year model. If you have pics or tips on the installation process that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:43 AM   #7
slug

well, nomad88. your right in my back yard, i have two fenders if you need them, the driverside has a little crease in it under the side marker light. its yours if you want it, just drive over the bridge and come get it. i didnt know southeast texas was in europe.........
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #8
Nomad88

Lol, yea i didn't want to discourage anyone being new here,but at first it just said Nederland and Texas wasn't there so i could see someone getting it confused with the Netherlands or some place in Europe. I wish i would of posted this earlier i just picked up a front clip and windshield in Baytown last weekend for $125, witch is a steal in my book, but thanks for the offer.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
slug

if you need i have the uper and lower stainless grill trim, i gave the end pieces to another board member.i also have a step bumper and a front bumper im going to get rid of(it has some curb rash on the pass side corner)
slug is offline   Reply With Quote