The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
edman87
junk collector

title question???

I know this wil vary by state, but just looking for info. I am in Louisiana.
I am looking at buying another project truck- is there a 12 step program for this?
It is a 50's model. No title.
I have been told that the LA state police can issue a title for the vehicle and give it a VIN. I have no idea how much trouble this is or what. Years back it was rather simple- have a bill of sale and fill out some paperwork and take the vehicle to them and they would issue the title and VIN. Nowadays, maybe a totally different story.
Anybody have any experience with any of this? Know where to find info or get started? I am going to look at it tomorrow and am interested so far, but without being able to get a title, it would be of little use to me.
Any help, ifo or advice is apprecialed.
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: title question???

I think in your state the actuall owner has to file for a lost title.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
biggsteve

it's cool in georgia. all you need is a bill of sale to transfer title/get tags. vehicle must be made before 1975. try it. what have you got to lose?
biggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I got the solution for ya....
A while back I bought a 70 Camaro with a California Salvage title and tried to title it here in Virginia with no luck. Tried to get a California title, no luck. wildone here on the board had a sugestion to someone else to try this guy; Link to hi myspace For $150, you send him the VIN and he sends you back a Alabama registration, a receipt, and all the other paperwork that you need to take to your DMV and get a title. This works because Alabama does not title vehicles older than 1980 or somewhere around there. I did it, and it worked like a charm here in Virginia. He did have a website www.classicartitle.com but I tried it and it's not working right now, but the myspace link above takes you to the same guy. Good luck.

Just tried his direct website and it's working now www.classicartitles.com

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 01-27-2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: hungry for peanut butter
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
edman87
junk collector

I was actually thinking of going that route.
I did go look at the truck today, and decided to pass. It would have been a project for a few years from now, and it would probably be too far gone by then. I am going to keep looking.
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
chip46wis

Just a forewarning-many states such as Wisconsin now will NOT take a Alabama title due to their being made under the circumstances they are made.Another is Greenlight? from Oregon wis and many other states wont take these either.. Both companies will take your money---up to $300.00 and NOT tell you this.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip46wis View Post
Just a forewarning-many states such as Wisconsin now will NOT take a Alabama title due to their being made under the circumstances they are made.Another is Greenlight? from Oregon wis and many other states wont take these either.. Both companies will take your money---up to $300.00 and NOT tell you this.
That doesn't make sense to me. That means if you live in Wisconsin you're not allowed to buy a car from Alabama, Georgia or Tennessee? (Georgia and Tennessee are the same as Alabama as far as no titles for older cars.) I don't see how they can get away with that.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
chip46wis

Wisconsin and other states caught on to the fabricated titles from Alabama---They will NOT accept the title-a simple search tells them it is not a legit title and they will not accept it-trust me--Im holding a $250.00 worthless peice of paper from Alabama.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
chip46wis

I was a auto wholesaler in the 80s if we bought a vehicle from Kentucky (remember Murray?) wisconsin automatically would render it actual miles unknown then put us through a extensive search for documentation.
The auto auctions got to the point they would NOT accept a Kentucky title-then also added Oklahoma.