The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Kixwy2

My first engine swap!

Ok, the back story:

I bought my truck about 5 months ago and pretty much knew nothing about fixing trucks... I never even changed my own oil so this has been a total learning experience from the top down. Started with small stuff like changing the steering wheel and seats, and snowballed into minor tuneups, rebuilding carbs, and finally needing a new motor when troubleshooting showed that my cam lobes were bad.

Thanks to some awesome advice on the forums here and some good friends willing to work for food and beer, I put in a new motor this week!

We started on Sunday, (me, my buddies Tom and Jerry - no joke) and pulled out everything from the engine. Easy things were the stuff on top, obviously, but with the PO's modifications and some odd placement, we hit a snag when we came to the water pump/alternator/fan area. Finally got that out once we realized there wasn't enough clearance unless we took out the radiator... Great, but the starter and fuel pump couldn't come out with the old motor thanks to the headers, so out they went too. We were just about ready to disconnect the tranny and yank the motor when we found out the pump on the hoist had leaked out its fluid. So that was another couple of troubleshooting hours. We were able to get the motor out and on the engine stand before we gave up for the night. Of course, we had to ratchet strap the tranny and the headers up and push the truck out of the garage because we had to clean up our Exxon Valdez oil spill mess...

Tom and I came back on Tuesday when the new engine finally showed up. We pulled the intake manifold off the old engine and what a mess. I can't believe it was even running. The valves are coated in black goo, almost every port is covered to the point of closure with some brownish gunk - we didn't even pull the cam shaft out.

Yesterday the three of us got the new engine in but it would have been a lot easier with a pivot point on the hoist. You can see from the pics it was just straight chain so we did a lot of grunting and shoving and cursing. The headers were pretty much the bane of our existence... couldn't shove them out of the way, then when we got them out of the way we couldn't bring them back to line up with the bolt holes. Then the front set of exhaust headers have a 120 degree curve to them which makes it almost impossible to get bolts in. We cursed at that for a couple hours and then called it a day before we killed each other...

Went to the parts store and picked up a new set of header bolts to make this go faster. Got the headers bolted in after a bit more swearing, and then put the front back together. We flushed the radiator and put that back in, then finally got the distributor in and wired.

It started on the third key turn!!!

It sounds SO good - I let it run for about 30 min to break it in a bit and watch for problems. There's a bolt loose on the smog air pump that hits the pulley and make a clattering noise, I dumped out the power steering fluid somehow from the reservoir, and the lower radiator hose isn't tight enough so it leaks. Well ok, it blew off and dumped hot water all over my nice clean motor. But easy fixes to take care of after this weekend. I will be so happy to have a clean, well running truck after this!

Last edited by Kixwy2; 01-27-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Kixwy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: My first engine swap!

Congrats on the swap sounds like youve been bitten by the truck bug like the rest of us here keep us updated on your progress and keep posting pics

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

The hose blew off on my Chevy too, cause my brandy new thermostat that never opened. Also check your timing if you haven't done so, that's another thing I messed on a tiny bit. Other than that, congrats on a job well done - enjoy your new toy
Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
streetstar

Sounds cool man --- 2 years from now, you'll be able to do the same thing by yourself in 4 hours with a lit ciggy hangin and a cell phone in one hand---

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
cjracing15

Way to go on the motor swap. Looks like a good job.
1977 SWB stepside
1949 Chevy truck
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Welcome to the "where in the crap does this bolt go" club. I was in that club for 33 years, still am. After a while you will realize that if you put all the bolts back it won't work right, LOL, just kidding, sort of. Now I'm in the "pass me a cold beer and I'll find the hole for it". Just remember this "there is NO such thing as a dumb question". jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Those headers look like the Edelbrock TES headers. Just wondering if they are or not.

Going to make any videos of the truck running?
MylilBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
Kixwy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie View Post
Those headers look like the Edelbrock TES headers. Just wondering if they are or not.
Err... maybe? They were on the truck when I got it. They look a lot like it, but they also have air rails that connect to a smog pump. Which I plan on getting rid of in the near future, once I pass the break in period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie View Post
Going to make any videos of the truck running?
Oo. I should do that - I'm going back to the shop on Monday. I'll bring my better camera with the video feature and see if I can post it.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
tyjoja

You are my hero, I have never messed with anything major like your doing, but have started the learning curve on my 73 that was going to be a father/son thing and is now all mine. Its been fun so far but still have a lot to learn before an engine swap that will happen when my old one wears out, anyway thanks for the inspiration and keep the pics coming. good luck bob
tyjoja is offline   Reply With Quote