The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Gasket removal

So the water pump on my Dakota went out.My wife "thinks" she'll be helpful and calls Sears.They quote her $250.00 for replacing the water pump,$125.00 for the thermostat,and (Get this,you're gonna love this)$37.50 for replacing the serpentine belt.Those are labor prices only,it's another $250 or so for the parts.I paid just under $100.00 for the parts and coolant and bought a new tube of sealant to boot.
Needless to say I had already looked up the parts on the net and removed the shroud and belt.I had the bolts loose and the hoses unclamped.
Anyway on to the question.I have one spot at the top right under the alt bracket that I can't seem to get the gasket scraped clean.I relized my cordless drill battery wasn't plugged in about this time.It is now and I can finish tommorow but I was wondering if anyone had used any of the gasket remover sprays and how they worked?Or if you have any other tips?
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 01-28-2008 at 08:11 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Gasket removal

How about plain old paint stripper? J

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Do they make gasket remover chemicals? I always had to use a scraper and some elbow grease!!

I guess my generation started it all..."Better Living Through Chemistry", I think....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
BurnoutNova

why are you so shocked at the labor prices? do you think there ripping you off, or are you just suprised at how much labor really costs?

i understand alot of people do thier own work, but at the same time it seems like those people then think since they can do it for free, every shop is ripping people off. most shops around here are between 70-85$ per hour. the price for your serp belt is right on, they usually pay about half an hour, so sear's labor rate must be $75... right about 3 hours for the waterpump, and an hour and a half for the t- stat. im not farmiliar with dodges all that much, but it seems like it not really that far out of line.

you also have to think about why the labor rate is that high... the tech is making anywhere from 15-25$ per hour, theres ALOT of other expences they have, insurance, heat, the biulding, ect.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

That wasn't the thing I thought was ridiculous.I thought the prices were probably pretty much in line with labor rates these days.I thought it was a rip-off for many people who aren't savvy about vehicles to charge for a serpentine belt replacement seperately when it had to be done to do the water pump any way.
I usually just use a gasket scraper and elbow grease also but couldn't get a good angle on this particular area.I was just going to fire up the cordless and wire brush it clean then spray it with some brake cleaner.I can but did not want to remove the alternator.Surprisingly enough the water pump doesn't have any of the accesories bolted to it.

Last edited by PanelDeland; 01-28-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
69long"n"low

please
69long"n"low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
69long"n"low

i would like to know about the chemical gasket romovers
69long"n"low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Spray it with some sort of lube (WD-40, etc.), let it sit over night & then start shaving away at it with a razor blade.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

yeah.it's soaking in brake clean right now.The razor scraper would not lift this section to peel it for some reason and it's where I have to use a mechanics mirror to even see it.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

PanelDeLand, I'm with you in the idea that to charge for the installation of the serpentine belt would be an additional charge. The labor for the belt should be included in the labor that would be necessary to R&R the water pump. The idea that the belt labor is separate suggests that itemizing the labor for a given job is something that a shop might do, but to single out one part is not right. If that is to be the way jobs are done, then the shops, and their mechanics, will have to charge even more money for the time to list all of the procedures that are part of the total job. Neither the mechanics nor the shops have the time needed to set aside to itemize their actions. The steps needed to accomplish a water pump job include the belt replacement. If not, the job isn't complete. To charge for a new belt, no biggee, but not the labor when it's part of the job.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
72BLUZ

brake cleaner will dry quick and not penetrate. if you have a angle grinder with a buffing pad would be fast and easy
the hourly rate in our shop is $98.00

Last edited by 72BLUZ; 01-28-2008 at 11:47 AM.
72BLUZ is offline   Reply With Quote