The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Toppless Blazer

starter wiring

I have a 1971 Blazer with the 350 automatic, I just installed a new HEI wiring harness and I have 2 wires going to the starter a thick purple wire and a thin yellow wire. My alternator is a internal so what terminals on the starter do these wires go to?
Thanks for the help.
Toppless Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
DANTES JIMMY

Re: starter wiring

Purple Goes To The Start Side Of The Solenoid I Think Closest To The Block But Not 100% Yellow You Dont Even Need Any More With Hei That Was Only To Give Coil And Points Set Up Good Voltage During Cranking
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
jojotonka
Account Suspended

DANTES JIMMY is right... You don't need the yellow wire anymore. You could save that wire for something else that you may want a 12 volt ignition wire for. Electric choke on carb, or tach, or something.
jojotonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the purple wire goes to the terminal marlked with a S. S for start. The R terminal is not needed to be hooked up to anything now... R for remote.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Toppless Blazer

Thanks for everybodys help, so I can hook the electric choke directly to this yellow wire?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
myraley

I'm confused. Did you say the yellow wire was connected to the starter? Or the alternator?
myraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Toppless Blazer

The purple wire and the yellow wire are ran together to the starter.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
89 crew

Wouldn't one of those wires be power to the ignition switch, and the other be from the ignition switch to activate the solenoid?
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
myraley

There is usually a wire running from the alternator to the starter, to the same post as the wire that runs to the battery. Or, it may run from the alternator to a junction or splice, and then to the starter. That is going to be the wire that charges up the battery. The other wire should run from the ignition to a different post on the starter (a smaller one). If you are looking by the radiator and are looking at the starter, the battery/alternator wire would be at the top (or 12 o'clock) position. The ignition wire would be to the right (about 2 to 3 o'clock). Is that where the yellow wire is going? Or is it going to the other post, which would be on the left side of the battery wire (at about 9 o'clock)? That is a post you dont need anymore if you have an HEI distributor. I'm pretty sure about this, as I have been messing around with mine too. What I dont know is if you dont have an HEI distributor, is that third post at 9 o'clock a good one to run a wire to an electric choke to? Right now, I have my electric choke spliced into other wires, but if I could connect it there, that would be a cleaner solution.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
DANTES JIMMY

Ok Purple Wire Is Bigger Gauge It Is To Engage The Starter...
The Yellow Wires Only Purpose Was To Deliver Good Voltage To The Coil During Cranking When You Had A Points And Coil System
Now That You Have Hei You No Longer Need This Wire To Provide A Strong Current To The Distributer
I Am Not Sure But I Dont Think This Wire Carrys Voltage All The Time Or If It Only Carries It During Crank
Definetly Not Sure On The Last Part
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
myraley

So he must have the wire from the alternator to charge the battery somewhere else then, and not having it go through the starter... Gotta be a junction box or splice, and that is where it probably t's off the go to the fuse box for constant power (a red wire on mine). And yeah, purple for me is ignition to starter to make it start when I turn the key (3 o'clock position). So if the 9 o'clock position, which Longhorn Man called the R terminal, I think, would provide power for the electric choke, that would be great. Does anyone know that much about starter solenoids though?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #12
RustyParts

You can't use the yellow wire from the starter to power the electric choke it only has power when the starter is engaged. The electric choke will have to be powered from a source that is hot when the ignition is turned on. Good luck.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote