The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
moneyeater

Angry I found oil.....

Yesterday i was in the shop and checked my truck because next saturday i´ll try the next time to get the inspection for being streetlegal!
I tightened all the bolts on the intake and the fuelpump and the headers because they were a little loose as well as the bolts on the engineoilpan and trannyoilpan! The tranny is leaking where the speedocable goes in.I ordered the seal for that but they sent me two different ones so i have to find out wich one fits in!
when i tightened the intakebolts i found engineoil on the intake below the caburetorlinkage.After starting the motor there was fuel in that places because the carb is old and leaky i think but now i found oil there nd i wonder where that comes from?
I hope after tightening the bolts the problem is cured!?
Maybe someone can give me some infos about that?

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: I found oil.....

Moneyeater: First, speedo seals. 1 is a large diameter, that goes around the speedo housing itself. The other is a small diameter and that goes inside the housing and the speedo gear runs inside that. Be careful. There is a small steel snap ring holding the smaller seal. The snap ring does not have a groove to fit in. It just slides in and out. DON'T PUSH IT BACK IN REAL HARD!!! Just get it against the seal.
Next, oil on intake. Oil is like a convict, it wants out!! If there is a way, it's getting out. Now, the fix. Clean the top of the intake off where the bolts go. Next,1 at a time so you don't disturb the gasket, remove a bolt, clean it well, wrap teflon tape around it or get some teflon thread sealing goo and put bolt back in and tighten to spec. You can use pipe dope if you can't get the other teflon sealer, but it will harden over time.jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

usually oil there on the intake is from a leaky valve cover gasket... but since the intake bolts were a little loose, dont rule them out. I have never had loose intake bolts before. Sounds like a new carb gasket may also be in order, since its probably as old as the carb
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
moneyeater

Thanks for the hints!
I´ll try to install the seals for the speedocable saturday and i allready cleaned the intake and see what happens after i retighened the bolts!
The carbgasket is new and the carb is overhauled but still old- just cleaned!

Old 02-06-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
moneyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Moneyeater: First, speedo seals. 1 is a large diameter, that goes around the speedo housing itself. The other is a small diameter and that goes inside the housing and the speedo gear runs inside that. Be careful. There is a small steel snap ring holding the smaller seal. The snap ring does not have a groove to fit in. It just slides in and out. DON'T PUSH IT BACK IN REAL HARD!!! Just get it against the seal.
Next, oil on intake. Oil is like a convict, it wants out!! If there is a way, it's getting out. Now, the fix. Clean the top of the intake off where the bolts go. Next,1 at a time so you don't disturb the gasket, remove a bolt, clean it well, wrap teflon tape around it or get some teflon thread sealing goo and put bolt back in and tighten to spec. You can use pipe dope if you can't get the other teflon sealer, but it will harden over time.jim

Now i know what you mean!I took out the speedocable and pulled out the part that looks like a big bullit with a hole thrugh it and an O-ring seal around it.The speedogear didn´t come out so i pulled it out seperately.After cleaning and inspecting it i pushed it back in -and you guess what- it fell into the tranny-AAARGH!!!
So i loosened the 4 bolts of the rearhousing after i drained about 1 qt of oil and pulled it back to fish out the speedogear!
Next i pushed it in the "bullit" and installed it back and tighened the housing again put the seal on the speedogearshaft and reinstalled the speedocable!
The only thing i´m concerned about is how the seal will stay on that short shaft of the speedogear because nothing holds it on there?!?

And i think i caught a cold from crawling around on the cold concrete under the truck!So i hope that i could at least stop the leakage!?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Remove the intake bolts and dip them in sealant. Oil creeps up the intake bolts very easily.

I used aircraft high temp sealant. No oil so far.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
Remove the intake bolts and dip them in sealant. Oil creeps up the intake bolts very easily.

I used aircraft high temp sealant. No oil so far.
you have a pn#. Are you referring to the permatex stuff that looks like tar?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Yea, in the little white plastic bottle.