The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
trucks72
trucks72

Warning on Quarter Window Rubber

Rebuilding a blazer I have. Had to put another top on it that did not have factory tinted windows. So I cut the rubber to get the windows out. When I tried to get new rubbers all they make is double dome rubbers. I got the first set from Brothers. They show that they have both, so I ordered one set of each. When thet came they had different part numbers but was the same rubber. So I ordered from Steel Rubber Products. Their cat. said it was for a single dome top. When it came it was wrong. I called a place in Kansas. They said they had it. I ask where the get it from and they said Brothers, so I know theirs is wrong to. To make this shorter, if you ever think you will need quarter window rubber for a single dome top in a blazer, save your old ones. I found a top with the glass still in it. I busted the glass out to get the rubber out. I then softened it up and install it. Still had a hard time getting it in due to the hardness of it.. If anyone knows somewhere to get that rubber I would like to know for the future. Also if anyone would like some info on the new blazer hatches that people are selling I can give a horror story on them also.
trucks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
k5keith

Re: Warning on Quarter Window Rubber

thinking about a aftermarket hatch myself . what kinda trouble did u have ? thx keith
k5keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
trucks72
trucks72

The problems I had with mine may not be with all of them. The hinges hole were to small. The hinges would not go in and when they did finally go in the gate would not raise with out hitting the hinge. When I finally got it to raise up and down, the hatch would not fit the hole of the top. I had to shave 1/4off all the way around. All of that was easy. Just grinding and cutting. Nothing real hard. But where the handle goes through, the inside guts would not fit. I measured a orig. hatch and the depth was 2in or so. The new hatch meaasures 1 1/4. Way to small, so I had to raise a section under the window to make it work. That took alot of time to get it done.. I could do one now quicker but not on that one. I will try to post pictures this weekend of it. It is installed now with the glass in it. Speaking of glass, when I installed the glass it would not fit. I had to get a new glass cut for it. I tried two different orig. glasses and neither fit. I cut alot off the glass to get it to work.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Man, you certainly have had some issues, this has been discussed before so I am
sure someone will chime in, but there ARE single wall rubbers available. I can't for
the life of me remember who it was though. As for the hatch that sounds kinda as
if it wasn't made correctly? Just a thought, most repro stuff is Taiwan made. The
part that bothers me is cutting the glass, this is the 1st case I have heard of it.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

yeah, something ain't right....
Old 02-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Angelse68cal
Cochino_Racing_909

Funny you mention I had the same problem with my Rear hatch from Brothers. I talked to a guy named J.C. like last year and I am still waiting for a phone call from him to let me know what is with these Hatches. If i would of known I would not of bought it. To me its a Piece of Sheat. I called him a couple of times all I get is the Vendor has not got back to me yet. I have to Say i have to raise the on that one. Now I really feel like I have a 500 dollar dust collector.
Angelse68cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
vtblazer

When you say 'single' dome and 'double' dome tops are you referring to single walled and double walled factory hard tops?

Maybe there in-lies the vendors confusion when trying to send you the correct part for a double walled top, they never had dome lights.
So if your mentioning 'dome' lights, their gonna send you a single walled top rubber.

Just a thought...
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
trucks72
trucks72

When I said double dome I was meaning double walled. My top is a single walled top with the dome lights inside. I called steel tech guys and they sais they do not make a single walled rubber. Brothers part numbers are different in their cat. but when they come they were not right. WHen I took them out of the package they both had different part numbers on them. As for Brothers, I do not think JC works there any more.