The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
tbags

Shaved Door Handles

Has anyone shaved their door handles on your truck? Kit popper kit did you use? Was it easy? Did you roll your own steel for the cutouts?

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=287690
tbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: Shaved Door Handles

There was a member up here that had a set already nicely shaved he was trying to sell. If I can think of who it was Ill ask him how they were set up to open.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
tbags

You know the pride thing. I would really like to do it my self just jooking for some info

My Build Thread
Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Yeah I understand that. I was just going to ask him how he did it and how they popped open etc etc.

It would be way to expensive to ship doors from here to where you are at.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

You can buy the cut outs right here through...ahhh.forgot who...but he sells on EBAY too. I used a auto loc system and it worked great.
19stepSide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
tbags

How well does your system work? If you run across those cutouts let me know

Thanks

My Build Thread
Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

the EBAY # is 150211420331 and the seller is infanti72 hope that helps more. I love my auto loc system never had a problem with it. I think I have 45 lbs or maybe more not sure though. With heavy doors you need the bigger ones...IMO.

Here is a nice set up with an alarm for a few bucks more than other sellers are selling. This in an auto loc deal. EBAY # 110218386192

Installation was easy ands directions have nice pics.

Last edited by 19stepSide72; 02-04-2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: adding more information
Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

i just cut out the door handle opening completely out...the made a filler panel to the exact size then slowly tacked it in solid light coat of mudd then glaze and its good to go.....very easy to do... as far as opening the door i drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the front of the door..and ran a small cable to the door handle rod....tacked it to the rod...as far as the cable goes i ran clear fish tank air hose inside the door and the cable runs threw it. and out the 1/4 hole i drilled....then i took the cable..and on one of the bolt holes through the fender i welded a small washer with a 1/8 inch hole in that, for the cable...did a simple loop and crimped the cable back to its self....works perfect...i did mine about 3 years ago . and have never had and problems....about every other oil change i simply oil the cable up a little ad its good to go......as far as door poppers ...i baught mine from...Street Scene...they are 20pnds poppers more than enough....hope this helps.....ya out............

ynotName:  mirror.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  mirror2.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  mirror3.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  82.2 KB
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #9
68chevy68

I just made my own filler panels out of steel. I have not finished my truck yet though so no poppers yet.
68chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:43 AM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I thought about doing that with my truck, and let a friend talk me out of it. He already had a pair of doors ready for solenoids, too. Cost him some money and I guess I'm just gonna be content with the original plan.

Nice work thread, though.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:43 AM   #11
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

You can find "generic" poppers just about anywhere. I'm not sure anyone makes a "kit" that is made special just for your year truck. Look at the performance suppliers in your local area, or on line. What I have also used in the past were the gear driven door lock motors. They can be a bit tricky to install, but then again, so are solenoids. Installing poppers is a lot of trial and error. You have to try different mounting places and angles. You have to be mindful also of the clearance of your window as you roll it down.

A word of thought... Be sure to install a hidden switch in case you don't have your keyless entry remote with you, and be sure to install a pull cable hidden somewhere in the fender well area in case your battery ever dies. Trust me on both of these, I have had shaved handles on two of my trucks and these things DO happen. All of a sudden your "cool" truck looks really stupid when you and your girlfriend are getting wet because you can't open your truck and you are stuck in a parking lot at night after the show.

A word on the welding. You can screw up your door in a major hurry if you rush it. Do not BEAD the weld. Use just as much heat as needed to get penetration, no more. Do some test welds first. Put a single stitch on the area then use water or compressed air cool the area BEFORE your next weld. THEN move to the opposite side for your next weld, and work back and forth untill the whole area is stitched. Check out my build page for some examples on how stitch welding should look when you are done. Takes a lot of time, but the amount of filler in the end will be alot less.

Shaved handles are cool, but with the problems associated with them from past experiance, I chose not to shave the handles on my current build.

The metal plates can just be made of some scrap you have laying around. If you feel you can do this yourself, then you can certainly cut your own plates.

Hope this helps.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 02-05-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 AM   #12
kyull67

In the December 2007 edition of Custom Classic Trucks there is a really good tech article with a step by step on shaving door handles and installing an autoloc kit on a 67-72. I just searched their site but it doesn't appear to be online yet.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #13
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

I TOTALLY agree with putting a hidden switch somewhere. Great tip.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #14

metal plates can just be made of some scrap and form them to the door curve and i brazed them on- and the same for the lock hole. i did this in 1983 and used a gm power door lock actuator mounted on it's side in behind the 72 arm rest and wire it in. then bent a rod in a right angle and brazed it to the door release rod and removed the lock rod. iam now 24 years later in the process of installing a wireless remote. when i get it in i will try to post more picks, in 83 it was a bold ground braking move to pull off . with no after market or production stuff to go with. looks good and works very well. ps it's a hidden switch that is an electric and key locked with led indicators as to the state. 463

Last edited by 463; 02-05-2008 at 12:22 PM.
463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Infanti
www.infantimachine.com

We make the cut-out panels you need to shave your door handles.Like some folks say you can make them yourself if you have from some scrap metal lying around.If you want to save some time we would be happy to help you out. Gerry
Infanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
tbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanti View Post
We make the cut-out panels you need to shave your door handles.Like some folks say you can make them yourself if you have from some scrap metal lying around.If you want to save some time we would be happy to help you out. Gerry
Thanks for the inforr - i will be ordering from you very soon

My Build Thread
Old 04-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #17
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyull67 View Post
In the December 2007 edition of Custom Classic Trucks there is a really good tech article with a step by step on shaving door handles and installing an autoloc kit on a 67-72. I just searched their site but it doesn't appear to be online yet.
i just went and pulled this out of a box of old mags, and yeah, everything you need starts on page 50 of this magazine. they give pretty clear instructions on mounting locations too.

the kit they use is an autoloc kit with 50lb solenoids with "an 8 channel system". unfortunately, they didn't give a part number, but i would guess that the kit is easy enough to find.

I'd also suggest contacting the guy on ebay that sells the filler plates for the handle and locks. i just ordered mine today and we'll see what kind of quality they are when they get here.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #18
Sammy

Someone needs to post location areas to mount the solenoids. Pics would be nice for our doors. Good thing I have a garage. I've been putting this off for a year next month.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #19
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
i just went and pulled this out of a box of old mags, and yeah, everything you need starts on page 50 of this magazine. they give pretty clear instructions on mounting locations too.

the kit they use is an autoloc kit with 50lb solenoids with "an 8 channel system". unfortunately, they didn't give a part number, but i would guess that the kit is easy enough to find.

I'd also suggest contacting the guy on ebay that sells the filler plates for the handle and locks. i just ordered mine today and we'll see what kind of quality they are when they get here.
Here it is: http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...?itemid=svpro5
I've got another post on this subject and trying to figure it all out.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #20
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

i checked the CCT site and could not find this article online. I did find the part number after some google searching: SVPRO5

do a froogle.com search. i found one for about $250 with free shipping.

if i'm not mistake (and i probably am) someone from CCT is a member to this forum, and may be able to provide a way to get back issues. i couldn't find a way to order them from their website.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote