The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
pimperout

tranny trouble

i have a 1987 350 TBI 4x4 K10 chev, it has a factory 4 speed tranny, and i have having some funny sounds and vibrations comming from it. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what the problem is in it and or give me some tips on what 5 speed trannys would be and how difficult a swap would be to change from the old 4 speed to a newer 5 speed. keep in mind that this truck is being used for hard 4x4ing all the time.

k it all started when it was making a loud whiny sound when i down shifted or let off the gas while at highway speed. soon it turned into an all out grinding, crunching, whining, and an intense vibration through the shifter now im just kinda scared to shift down with it.

everything seems to work just fine and solid shifting up nothing grinds into gear or anything so i dont think its the synchros.
thanks for any replies.
53 chev (someday project)
70 GMC (parts)
71 GMC (parts)
pimperout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
f.monroe

Re: tranny trouble

Does it do it in 4th or high gear ? If not and it only does it in the other three gears , I would lean towards counter shaft bearings . 4th is direct and I think wouldnt use the countershaft . Other than that , it sounds like the tranny is shot . I guess it could be a front or rear diff problem also and you are just feeling it through the shifter . If you suspect the diffs , I suppose you could remove the driveshaft and run it through the gears assuming it has a fixed output shaft that wont sling fluid from the rear of the transfer case . Transfer case could be bad also . Shift it (transfer case ) into neutral and run it through the gears to see if the vibration is still there . Reading this , I realize my steps are out of order and you should try checking it first with the transfer case in neutral . then engauge the t/c and remove the drive shafts. Frank
Old 02-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
pimperout

ok thanks alot that gives me some where to start it doesnt do it in third very much its mainly just shifting down into 2nd. Its only got 4 gears, the shifter says Low, 1, 2, 3 tommorow i will try shifting the transfer case around to see what it does i never thought of that well thanks for the reply
70 GMC (parts)
71 GMC (parts)
Old 02-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Pimp: OK, seeing as the only time the noise is really evident is on the 3 - 2 shift it would be logical to assume the problem is in the trans. Most likely location is the 2 - 3 shift hub and blocker ring assembly. If you know manual transmissions you can fix this yourself without a whole lot of trouble. If you don't know them, get a junk yard trans and swap it in. Changing to a 5 speed I suppose can be done, but keep in mind you will need some type of adapter for the transfer case to bolt to because the transfer case on a 5 speed output's on the left side not the right like our trucks do. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
pimperout

alrite thank you i have some friends that know their manual trannys pretty good, i think i will take it off crack it open and have a look see. Any ideas on how much it would cost to repair a 2 - 3 shift hub and blocker ring assembly? i think i will probly sway away from the 5 speed then seeing as i need the truck back on the road quickly, and again thank you for the response great info this place has yet to fail me
70 GMC (parts)
71 GMC (parts)