The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
1980GMC

How to pull the cab off?

Its that time in my build(well deconstruction) to pull of the cab. How should I go about doing this?

I will be using a forklift but can i just run a couple tow straps through the cab and lift or should i use a timber to lift? I just dont want to dent or warp the doorjams or the roof.

Thanks for the help,

Wes
1980GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: How to pull the cab off?

well if it was me and i had to do it again (ive removed about 3 cabs now

(id get a jack lift all four corners then make it soo its sitting off of from high enought and just roll frame out from under it. then lower cab onto a rolling cart. but thats me tho (but i didnt have acess to a fork lift.)

But id still use my idea remove borth rear and front glass put tow by whatever through cab and put forks through rear window and lift like that (the cab will be stong enough like that to carry its self)

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 02-09-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
1980GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
well if it was me and i had to do it again (ive removed about 3 cabs now

(id get a jack lift all four corners then make it soo its sitting off of from high enought and just roll frame out from under it. then lower cab onto a rolling cart. but thats me tho (but i didnt have acess to a fork lift.)

But id still use my idea remove borth rear and front glass put tow by whatever through cab and put forks through rear window and lift like that (the cab will be stong enough like that to carry its self)
Unfortunately I dont have a jack to lift all for corners. But that second idea is what I will probably do. I know that the back window comes out with ease, but how does the windshield come out? The same principle as the back?

When I went and got my one-piece rear window I just used a couple of straight blades and slowly worked it out. Should I do that with the front as well?

Thanks,
Wes
Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Front you can pull with your bare hands if it is reasonably warm, but seeing that you are in Olds, and it ain't particularly warm here or there at the moment, you'll probably need a piece of wire to work it out with...

Personally, I took a pair of 4x4s and stuck them through the windows, then ran straps up to the forks on the bobcat, and lifted it from the side. Just make sure you don't run into it with the machine and it should come off pretty easy.

Also, make sure you've got EVERYTHING unhooked first, and that you have a spotter to watch and make sure you arn't testing the tensile strength of anything...
Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
1980GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Personally, I took a pair of 4x4s and stuck them through the windows, then ran straps up to the forks on the bobcat, and lifted it from the side. Just make sure you don't run into it with the machine and it should come off pretty easy.
Yeah thats what I considered doing as well, as long as it wasnt going to harm anything. Now I just gotta get some 8' 4x4s.

Thanks for all the help everyone,
Wes

P.S Russell its been a nice 0 degrees here today and yesterday but is supposed to drop by saturday. Stay warm.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

personally the best way i ever did it was with four buddies nothing gets broken that way lift it off and lay it on the cart

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

if you have 4 sturdy mount points (I used the front 2 cab mount bolts and 2 of the seat belt bolts)...you can attach some straps that attach to the 4 points on an engine leveler...attached to a hoist positioned through the side of the cab (w/door off), adjust the leveler...and lift it up with the hoist. Just make the straps short enough so the hoist can lift the cab from inside, without hitting the roof of the cab. Thats how I did mine on my '68.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
shadetree

I always used a case of beer. 4 to 6 buddiesa can move a cab, and the case of beer costs much less than any of this equipment being discussed.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 AM   #9
1980GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
I always used a case of beer. 4 to 6 buddiesa can move a cab, and the case of beer costs much less than any of this equipment being discussed.
Haha thats what I planned to do, but none of my friends want to risk dropping it or breaking anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
if you have 4 sturdy mount points (I used the front 2 cab mount bolts and 2 of the seat belt bolts)...you can attach some straps that attach to the 4 points on an engine leveler...attached to a hoist positioned through the side of the cab (w/door off), adjust the leveler...and lift it up with the hoist. Just make the straps short enough so the hoist can lift the cab from inside, without hitting the roof of the cab. Thats how I did mine on my '68.
Thats another option as well, but wouldnt that be a bit top heavy or wobbly?

Last edited by 1980GMC; 02-10-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:36 AM   #10
newschool

I agree with 68GMCCUSTOM. I changed my cab recently and used the same approach. I used a 1.5 inch hole saw to get to the cab mounts from the inside.
newschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #11
Storm Chaser

I lifted an 88-98 bare crew cab with the doors on it with straps through the door window openings and didn't warp it any. The added weight of mine being a crew might be comparable to a standard cab with all it's stuff still in it.
Rear disc swap & Hydroboost
Dually conversion with shackle flip-n-switch
4x4 conversion with 52" springs
Maybe some new body panels
Who needs a car when they make crew cab trucks?
Storm Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980GMC View Post
Thats another option as well, but wouldnt that be a bit top heavy or wobbly?
well...it isn't rock solid, no. I had a guy available to help push the hoist while I steadied the cab. We moved it from one chassis across the shop to the other chassis, on a rough floor, with no real trouble. I might have been able to handle it by myself on a smooth floor.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
low sierra
Old Time Rodder

Just installed a better cab on my 79 and was best handled by 4 strong backs. Cab was a little front heavy but was handled well by a couple stronger men.
Removed my old cab by jacking up and rolling chassis out. If I had gotten six strong men I could have changed from one to the other at the same time and saved a lot of time. You would need at least remove the doors for weight saving. I stripped both cabs and was able be handled by 4 men.
My biggest problem was getting a group together to help. Everyone said they would but weren't available at the same time. When I did change it last Saturday, I had all those that had volunteered plus a couple extra (9 all total). Shame they weren't available when I needed them most. Trouble was they weren't probably as concerned about getting done as I was.
Such is life.
Good luck getting yours done as easy and efficient as possible.
4 wheel disc finally
My daily driver again
low sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
1980GMC

I finally got it off today.

Just asked a bunch of friends (6 including myself) to come out to the shop at lunch and we got it off with minor trouble. Could've used one more hand maybe to move things but for 6 high school kids it was suprisingly light and easy.

Thanks for all the help and ideas,

Wes