The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
stunna

Question polished brake rotors

just a question, has anyone seen polished brake rotors on any of our trucks, and if so how do you stop them from rusting, maybe by driviing?
stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
60ratrod
yes, i do

Re: polished brake rotors

well if you're talking about the break pad surface, there really isn't a way to keep it from rusting, and there's the wear factor. and there's also the high heat discoloration from the heat from the friction. and i don't think that you would be able to stop as well. but if its the other surfaces, then a good high temp clear coat paint should keep it from rusting.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
3kidsnotime

These are not for my truck, but one of my cars. They are zinc plated or washed some say, it is a option from most rotor manufacturers.

3kidsnotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Eichorst69

I bought a pair of zink plated rotors from Brake Performance for my 69 4x4. They were the only place I could find them for a 69 3/4 ton 4x4 and the price wasn't that bad either so I'm sure they have them for 2 whell drives also. The rotors have been on the truck parked outside for about three months now and no rust, but I haven't driven it yet.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...1874b0cc82463f

Rob
Eichorst69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
AuggieStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kidsnotime View Post
These are not for my truck, but one of my cars. They are zinc plated or washed some say, it is a option from most rotor manufacturers.

whose caliper are you using in your disc setup?
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
slammed1
1972 Chevrolet SWB

Looks like a Baer Brake caliper set up to me. My Mach1 has that caliper factory and so do Cobras.

1972 Chevrolet 1/2 ton short wide bed,68 frt clip Project.
1980 Camaro Inherited when father passed,68K Miles
2003 Ford Mach1 FUN as Hell!!
2002 Dodge Ram 5-8 slam Rolling BillBoard (Gone not forgot)
2004 Dodge Ram HEMI 10" lifted on 37's and 2wd.
slammed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
3kidsnotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuggieStyle View Post
whose caliper are you using in your disc setup?
I basically built a baer set up, Those are PBR calipers the cheapest place to get them is from ford they used them on newer Mach 1's and over the counter race part, the rotors are 13 inch corvette application on C-4 covette with big brakes, this is the install on the car nice fit for about a grand less..

Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
stunna

i think i can live with the zinc wash look. i was just wondering about polishing the surface that the caliper did not touch. Maybe i will chrome the calipers, i need some bling!
stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
3kidsnotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunna View Post
i think i can live with the zinc wash look. i was just wondering about polishing the surface that the caliper did not touch. Maybe i will chrome the calipers, i need some bling!
I dont think I would chrome them for a couple reasons, probably powder coat them are you running "Big Brakes" like 13-14 inch or anything? Whos calipers? you can get them polished if they are aluminum, but chrome could cause some issues, I like my "Bling" in the form of my wife in the front seat....
Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
slammed1
1972 Chevrolet SWB

Quote:
I basically built a baer set up, Those are PBR calipers the cheapest place to get them is from ford they used them on newer Mach 1's and over the counter race part, the rotors are 13 inch corvette application on C-4 covette with big brakes, this is the install on the car nice fit for about a grand less..

The detail on the chassis is great. I know its possibly in Mock up stages but make sure you swap the calipers right to left before your done.........the bleeder needs to be on top not on bottom.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #11
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The zinc platingwill not hold-up in use. It will wear off pretty quickly, obviously only in the swept area though. It will be fine everywhere else. Any surface rust in the swept area will be wiped off when you apply the brakes.
The only way to keep the whole thing shiny perminently would be stainless steel.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #12
3kidsnotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed1 View Post
The detail on the chassis is great. I know its possibly in Mock up stages but make sure you swap the calipers right to left before your done.........the bleeder needs to be on top not on bottom.
Hey man what are you trying to say there will be air in the top......
I am aware of that, good eye most would never see it, I actuall was messing with line travel but past that stage now got that problem cured, time for paint now..
Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
slammed1
1972 Chevrolet SWB

Quote:
Hey man what are you trying to say there will be air in the top......
I am aware of that, good eye most would never see it, I actuall was messing with line travel but past that stage now got that problem cured, time for paint now..
I am sorry if that came off as nit picking........I have done suspension/brakes/alignments for a living for around 20 years and currently do custom brake set ups,drops and lifts. Occasionally a customer has a problem they cat accurately describe as in an install error or just soemthing not working right,so I ask them for clear pictures so I can look at them to spot things I nned to use to help them. I can probably spot more in pictures than what people want to hear or see its just a habit now. No one wants to watch a movie with me either because I evaluate everything!!
I just wanted to point it out as a just in case for you as I have seen backwards draglinks,upside down calipers,pigtailed brake lines,and more either in pictures or on a vehicle at a show..........I never want to come off as a know it all to a person who has touched/replaced every bolt and part on his project especially since I learn everyday. If its something like a brake or suspension part that needs attention I just cant not say anything...........again great detail you have and great projects also. Please dont let my note about the caliper/bleeder make you think bad of me,as someone looking at the pic might learn from it also if they were possibly trying to copy your mods.

Brian

Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
3kidsnotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed1 View Post
I am sorry if that came off as nit picking........I have done suspension/brakes/alignments for a living for around 20 years and currently do custom brake set ups,drops and lifts. Occasionally a customer has a problem they cat accurately describe as in an install error or just soemthing not working right,so I ask them for clear pictures so I can look at them to spot things I nned to use to help them. I can probably spot more in pictures than what people want to hear or see its just a habit now. No one wants to watch a movie with me either because I evaluate everything!!
I just wanted to point it out as a just in case for you as I have seen backwards draglinks,upside down calipers,pigtailed brake lines,and more either in pictures or on a vehicle at a show..........I never want to come off as a know it all to a person who has touched/replaced every bolt and part on his project especially since I learn everyday. If its something like a brake or suspension part that needs attention I just cant not say anything...........again great detail you have and great projects also. Please dont let my note about the caliper/bleeder make you think bad of me,as someone looking at the pic might learn from it also if they were possibly trying to copy your mods.

Brian
No offense taken at all! Im a analytical anal one myself, and question often. I use to own Performance Marine and did alot of R&D work for ATI (Procharger) designing Marine Kits and dyno work getting the bugs out of things, so I have a tendency to look and question and change things around to see if it will or can be better, problem I have as well as many others, I drive my wife nuts.. Look at anything I do and please feel free to question or ask! The shuttle is not built by one peson... and not two eyes either. But Hell these are just brakes... as I hit the wall....