The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
packer

Power brake booster

I just bought a 72 stepside with front disc brakes and no power booster, it takes alot of leg to get it stopped, the guy I bought it from said you can't put a booster on without alot of mods to the firewall and under dash but it seems like it should be easier than that, is it all that complicated? Not used to having to stand on the brakes!
packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
HotRodYJ

Re: Power brake booster

No it's not that hard. I had a 72 with front disc but no power. I picked up a booster from a mid 70's C10 and used it. Drilled a couple of holes and had to do a little work to the rod that hooks to the pedal to get everything to adjust out and work correctly but not that big of a deal. Last week I installed a booster and MC from an Astro van in my 66 C10. Again drilled a couple of holes and a little bit of work to the rod and she was hooked up and ready to go.

Depends on your abiilities to know how to adapt and make things work properly. Early trucks 72 and older use canitilever set-ups on the under hood side, later models use a single rod from pedal to booster, that's why the mods are sometimes needed. If you've got the proper brackets off the correct year truck, it would bolt right on. USing the later model stuff bolts the booster directly to the firewall and makes for a much cleaner look.

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902

Last edited by HotRodYJ; 02-13-2008 at 12:10 AM.
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Power brake booster

Go to the parts board and do a search ... boosters and brackets there all the time ... buy the right brackets and it's a bolt on, no drilling or modding.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote