The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
bmxkingnow

floor conversion

well i took the 3 off the tree and put it on the floor. i bought a Mr. Gasket kit off ebay for 30 bux shipped. it got here today, and i pulled my old tranny up on the tail gate, it was already out of the truck. i mocked up how the floor shifter should work.

then looking around under my truck i found a few pop-rivitz in my floor board about where my future hole was going to be. so i tore the old carpet out and, low and behold, someone had beat me to the punch.

as of now the shifter is in, and awaiting final adjustment. the knob hits the dash going into reverse, but not 2nd. and its no where near the seat in 1st or 3rd. so i'll crawl under the truck again and pivot the shifter back a little more. also the pre-existing hole needs to be a little bigger.

All in all, the kit went in pretty easily. this is considering i didnt even know there was such a kit 2 weeks ago.
Building a screamin I6 ................................. $500
Finally having the truck you always wanted... Priceless!
bmxkingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Re: floor conversion

Good deal!!! HOWEVER...
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
baggedcten
86 C10

^^^what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i used to have a 3 speed hurst shifter in my 72 that was cool but the seat used to make the shift into third a little difficult
I used it as an excuse to put in buckets

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
tyjoja

bmx, I was reading your thread, I have a 73 that has an I6 that orignally had a 3 on tree and has been converted to a truck 4 speed (granny) on the floor. saw on your byline that you converted to power steering as I have also (best thing I've done so far, what a difference). what did you do to make it a screamin I6? and also what are you going to do with the steering column and the old shifter nub sticking out? thanks bob
tyjoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
bmxkingnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjoja View Post
bmx, I was reading your thread, I have a 73 that has an I6 that orignally had a 3 on tree and has been converted to a truck 4 speed (granny) on the floor. saw on your byline that you converted to power steering as I have also (best thing I've done so far, what a difference). what did you do to make it a screamin I6? and also what are you going to do with the steering column and the old shifter nub sticking out? thanks bob
hey bob,
half of my list is future plans, IE the power steering and the screamin i6. i will be getting power steering soon for sure. and the screamin i6 will be a rebuilt 250. i have a spare 250 i will be working on. i found a grind i like from comp cams that will be going in. pretty much all the other internals will be stock or close to. mate that with a 6=8 intake, 4bbl carb, and some long tube headers, should be a pretty fun little motor.

also the next plan of action for the truck is a new clutch and new disc breaks. i could get mine turned, but have been looking to see what else is out there. kinda spendy for new rotors, but i would like to be able to stop.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
SSC's76
No No

Good deal. You just need to make sure and lubricate your linkage and check for wear about every oil change. Ive had the Mr gasket and cheap Hurst shifters before and they wear out kinda quick. I have a Factory hurst setup now from a 69 camaro. I cut the shifter and grafted one of the cheap Hurst arms to it so It clears the bench seat and look good. It's much better but I'd rather have a coulmb shift back. I miss shifting on the tree. My fiancie thinks I marrying her just so I can drive her Appolo so I dont have coulmb shift withdrawl. Might have somthing to do with it.....
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Column shift trucks are cool! You took away some of it's unique-ness by comverting it to a floor shifter IMO. I'll never forget the funny looks I got from other motorist when rowing thru the gears on the column in my old 78 250/3 speed. However, it's your truck, do what you like and enjoy it.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
bmxkingnow

hey guys i need a little help. (go figure)

i got the floor swap done with the new tranny in. got the truck started and it ran and moved in gear just fine. the problem is no longer the tranny or the shifter.

i started it up again after work in the driveway, and the cab filled with smoke. i checked it out and i fried the main power wire from the splitter on the fire wall all the way into the cab. i think it took a few wires with it as well. i went to schmuks to get some wire and connectors, but then thought it might be better just to go to the local pull-a-part and get another wiring harness. so i will do some research online, but i need to figure out what harness's will inter change with my truck. i think chevy pretty much made them universal for the 73-80 pickups, but want to double check before i go pulling one i dont need.

my truck has all the basic options, no power windows or cruise control. its a 76 2wd m/t. what do you think. do i need to find another one from a 6 cylinder or can i get one from an auto with a 350.

anything helps guys. oh btw, im pretty sure i just forgot to connect the ground to the firewall. i cant come up with any other explanation for why it did this.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
i used to have a 3 speed hurst shifter in my 72 that was cool but the seat used to make the shift into third a little difficult
I used it as an excuse to put in buckets

Me too, only my first is a bit difficult. My 2nd to 3rd is smooth.
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
jimmydean

The truck I just bought has a tore up column shifter, so I bought a Hurst Indy for $50 (new) and hope to get it installed when it gets here.

I was going to splurge on the Mastershift, but it was $275 for the shifter and install kit. I would hate to spend that much dough and find out my trans is in bad shape.

Anyone have install tips and tricks for a column to floor? I found a few threads (like this one) but nobody lays out the steps. Is it just that easy?
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
spudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Column shift trucks are cool! You took away some of it's unique-ness by comverting it to a floor shifter IMO. I'll never forget the funny looks I got from other motorist when rowing thru the gears on the column in my old 78 250/3 speed. However, it's your truck, do what you like and enjoy it.
I kinda like the column shifts too. lol.. You can rebuild them when they wear out too.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
slash crashley
lucky knuckles

Cool Re: floor conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxkingnow View Post
hey bob,
half of my list is future plans, IE the power steering and the screamin i6. i will be getting power steering soon for sure. and the screamin i6 will be a rebuilt 250. i have a spare 250 i will be working on. i found a grind i like from comp cams that will be going in. pretty much all the other internals will be stock or close to. mate that with a 6=8 intake, 4bbl carb, and some long tube headers, should be a pretty fun little motor.

also the next plan of action for the truck is a new clutch and new disc breaks. i could get mine turned, but have been looking to see what else is out there. kinda spendy for new rotors, but i would like to be able to stop.

any pics of the power-steering swap? what pump did you use? i've got arm-strong steering and it's alright, but down the road i'd like to update it.

i've got the 250 too. so far all i've done is put an electric fan in place of the mechanical one. huge difference. i'm hoping for headers in a few weeks, not sure about running duals or a single set-up. i was thinking about twin 44s but now i'm thinking i might just run it into one. (cash issue) you've got some good ideas, good luck with them.
slash crashley is offline   Reply With Quote