The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
agent orange

Disadvantages of having air bags

What are some of the disadvantages of having air bags on your ride or experince you've encountered (ie blowout, valves...etc) with air bags? I have airbags on my ride and hopefully i don't encounter any major problems down the road. Any helpful tips of maintaining air bags?
1968 El camino Sold
1954 Ford Anglia Sold
1973 GMC Suburban Sold
1974 Chevy C10 Sold

Last edited by agent orange; 02-15-2008 at 04:04 AM.
agent orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
copperchevy

Re: Disadvantages of having air bags

I used to have problems melting plastic lines touching the exhaust after some zipties kept breaking off. Decided to put stainless braided line from the cab forward. After that, haven't touched any of my air suspension in about 3 years.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
shifty
Questionable

only downside i can think of is the lack of alignment. no matter how badass you think you are, once you lift/lower after getting aligned, you'll almost never manage to be in perfect alignment again. i think as long as it's "close", who cares though, right? benefits far outweigh the negs.

if you manage to pop your bag, i suppose that coule be bad as well. never heard of anyone being dumb enough to let their bags rub, though.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
only downside i can think of is the lack of alignment. no matter how badass you think you are, once you lift/lower after getting aligned, you'll almost never manage to be in perfect alignment again. i think as long as it's "close", who cares though, right? benefits far outweigh the negs.
The same could be true w/a static drop. I've had trucks that when you jack them up the spring doesn't seat properly in the pocket once they're set back down. It can effect the alignment as well (temporarily, but it can effect it).

Quote:
if you manage to pop your bag, i suppose that coule be bad as well. never heard of anyone being dumb enough to let their bags rub, though.
There are many who feel a 'little' rubbing doesn't hurt the bag (like setting the bag in a lower control arm but the sides of the bag touch the pocket). I disagree & feel nothing should ever touch the bags, but I have only my limited experience w/my own truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperchevy View Post
I used to have problems melting plastic lines touching the exhaust after some zipties kept breaking off. Decided to put stainless braided line from the cab forward. After that, haven't touched any of my air suspension in about 3 years.
I was unaware that braided stainless could be used. (of course I've never ran a bagged truck). It would seem to be a great alternative to rubber which can melt or easily be pinched/cut in two. I would also think that it would be a lot easier to run then a metal hard line. Anyone else have experience with braided hose for air lines? What does it run cost wise as compared to regular rubber air lines?
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
MotorHead Lon

Getting dirt in your compressor.

98 Crew Cab Dually, tow rig.

03 Dodge Neon. ECTA Ohio Mile record holder.

Last edited by MotorHead Lon; 04-29-2010 at 04:21 PM.
MotorHead Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
bedsled71

my pressure switch went out and then my check valve didnt do the checking it was supposed to.. compressor wouldnt shut off so i had to hot wire it on and off.... and the air would backfeed through the compressor and messed that up... so i had to drive my truck at about 30 miles an hour with the control arms one inch off the ground for 200 miles

Last edited by bedsled71; 02-15-2008 at 11:59 AM.
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
BeerMonkeY
sold

only prob i had on my front only bagegd burb was letting my dad borrow the truck and putting a folding chair in the back and breaking off the line ot the gauge and him driving the truck 10mi witht e left front rubbing the fender

looking for 73-87 crew cab with 8' bed,2wd,PM me if you see one around
BeerMonkeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
oldspowered67C10

The problem I had w/ mine was that they rode too soft. I suppose if you had alot of ground clearance it wouldnt be a problem but I had my crossmember about 2.5" off the ground and w/o bump stops it would drag the crossmember through dips and when I installed bumpstops it was always on the bumpstops when hitting bumps. I tried many differents shocks w/o much success so I eventually went to a static drop in the front and kept the bags in the back.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
HotRodYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
I was unaware that braided stainless could be used. (of course I've never ran a bagged truck). It would seem to be a great alternative to rubber which can melt or easily be pinched/cut in two. I would also think that it would be a lot easier to run then a metal hard line. Anyone else have experience with braided hose for air lines? What does it run cost wise as compared to regular rubber air lines?
I'm planning on running copper lines for mine. I just don't like the idea of plastic lines for something as important as air in the suspension. Seems like to big of a risk to have a really reliable system. Espaecially if your truck lays frame and isn't drivable without air. Mine wont be laying frame, but it will be low enough that it wouldn't really be drivable except in a straight line on smooth level ground. I'm also thinking I'll install a block off valve and shrader valve for each corner so in event of air system failure, I can still get air in the bags and drive it home.

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902

Last edited by HotRodYJ; 02-15-2008 at 06:52 PM.
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
MotorHead Lon

Disadvantages can come from your own planning, or not planning. I had my compressor tank and solenoids on the frame under the cab. When the compressor died I had to reach under the truck, unhook a hose, hook up my airhose attatchment, get a portable compressor and air up the truck. No fun in the gravel at midnight. My solenoids are now under the hood, on the inner fender, like on AirRide Techs green shop truck. And I will be installing shrader valves.

98 Crew Cab Dually, tow rig.

03 Dodge Neon. ECTA Ohio Mile record holder.

Last edited by MotorHead Lon; 02-15-2008 at 07:21 PM.
MotorHead Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #12
agent orange

im running Hydralic lines througout the truck...
Attached Images

1968 El camino Sold
1954 Ford Anglia Sold
1973 GMC Suburban Sold
1974 Chevy C10 Sold
agent orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

I also am running hydraulic hose, the shipment should be here this week, with swivel 90s on both ends. 2500 psi working pressure should hold my 150.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #14
baggedcten
86 C10

none really been daily driving my truck for about 3 years.I swithing to hydo hose also just for looks and better protection.
Agent orange what are you running out back a four link ??????????
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Dinos63
chevy only

best is not to cut corners and rig the stuff,use good parts and do a good job installing it,i see trucks with air bags and junkie work ,i wouldnt drive it .as far as the lines be smart use the dot line ( big rigs use) don't be a dope and run the lines the fasted way , run them smart ( not by hot things headers) clamp down the lines, and service the air ride system like the same time you change your oil,

Last edited by Dinos63; 02-16-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Dinos63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Dinos63
chevy only

here is one of my set ups
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
HotRodYJ

Anybody ever have problems with the DOT plastic lines, assuming of course they are used properly. I can't help feeling that once they get a couple of years old they would get brittle and start to crack and cause problems. Is this not the case?

This is why I'm thinking copper. Run them very very neat just like brake lines with good bends etc. Should NEVER have problems and it couldn't get any cleaner. You can't make a tight 90 bend with any kind of hose unless you put a fitting there and that's one more potential leak. Steel lines would work very well also, but an air system will always have water in it the best you can do. Copper wont rust and it's very easy to work with. But I have never done anything on bags before, this is my first time thru it. Just my thoughts.

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902

Last edited by HotRodYJ; 02-16-2008 at 07:06 PM.
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #18
Shane
Account Suspended

DOT tubing is fine as long as you keep it away from extreme heat ... take a look at the brake systems on semi trailers sometime ... DOT plastic tubing. And they spend a lot more time on the road than any of our trucks ever will.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
see ten
WTB this ad

Big trucks also run the plastic tubing due to it being friendly to roadside repairs. Is the hydraulic hose much cheaper than the braided stainless? I bought some hydraulic hose a couple weeks ago for a trans cooler and the list price was close to $9 per ft. I don't remember how much they ended up charging me for it.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
Tony@AirRideTech

D.O.T line is good stuff and as long as it is used appropriately you will not have any failures with it. Keep it away from heat source, if you run throung a body panel, make sure that you grommet the hole. I would definitely run D.O.T. before I plumbed it in copper.... if you want to hardline it, I would suggest using seamless stainless tubing.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #21
copperchevy

I've seen alot of trucks running copper lines that tend to leak alot since they are hooked up with pushin fittings. D.O.T plastic line with compression fittings have never given me any problems. Stainless braided line is expensive, but worth it. I paid around $110 for two 6ft lines with swivel fittings for my front end.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #22
leftcoast66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech View Post
D.O.T line is good stuff and as long as it is used appropriately you will not have any failures with it. Keep it away from heat source, if you run throung a body panel, make sure that you grommet the hole. I would definitely run D.O.T. before I plumbed it in copper.... if you want to hardline it, I would suggest using seamless stainless tubing.
Tony's right. I did grommet's and such on all of my lines and daily drove it for 2 years and never had any issues. And I drilled out holes and actually mounted it to the frame inside of the framerails going down the cab so its out of the way of everything.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:42 AM   #23
SCOTI

The rear of my 68 was done w/PTC fittings & poly DOT airline & survived since 2000 w/o a single failure.

The only issue I had was before I got the tank/compressor. I bent a few schrader valves (in the dark) when I aired my system up manually.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 AM   #24
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
Big trucks also run the plastic tubing due to it being friendly to roadside repairs. Is the hydraulic hose much cheaper than the braided stainless? I bought some hydraulic hose a couple weeks ago for a trans cooler and the list price was close to $9 per ft. I don't remember how much they ended up charging me for it.
My total investment in materials for hydraulic line is $70. My hydraulic hose was $.89/ft. It's not the nicest out there, but it will do fine for this application with crimped ends. (Working pressure 2250PSI and burst of 9000 psi) I ordered ends and hose online and will cut and bring to a local shop to crimp when I figure out the exact lengths I need (and pay to crimp it of course).

Along with swivel 90* fittings on the bag side and straight swivels on the valves, it is slightly more than push in fittings, but not by more than $20. I feel it will be a longer lasting system, as I currently have plastic, but the fittings leak on mine (I cheaped out the first time and used AIM industries).
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #25
Tony@AirRideTech

All of my stuff has been in since 98 and I now have over 225K on the clock... how is that for daily
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote