The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
iliveintn

Questions about a 68 c20 hood

If I go back to the yard and get it do I need to get the hood hinges as well or are they the same as the 72's? Also i'm pretty sure it is but just in case, the c20 hood should be the same as a c10 correct? And one last thing, how much would it be worth if it's in good condition?
iliveintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Re: Questions about a 68 c20 hood

The hinges are the same. The hoods are different between the 67-68 and the 69-72. The hoods are the same in 1/2 ton through the 1 tons
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Hinges are universal for 67-72. I'm assuming you already have the 67/68 core support, grill and fenders otherwise that hood will be kinda lonely sittin in the corner of the shop. If you already have the rest of the front clip- I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a dent/rust free hood out of a junk yard. Going rate in these parts is between 50-75 bucks, unless it's a NOS part or vintage take-off.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if I read right, you wanna install a 67/68 hood on a 72?
It won't work.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
iliveintn

ok I typed this post before I took a nap so i'm sorry if it was kind of confusing. so lemme explain. Thanks so far for the help.

The hood is on a 68 c-20 work truck at the pull-a-part and from what I could tell it was in exceptional shape. I know that I need the core support/grill/fenders to make it work but I just figured if I get this hood now for a cheap price then I can just have it handy on down the line if I ever wanna do this swap and find a more suitable front end cause the grill on this one is pretty crappy lookin. not to mention I really dont feel like pulling a front end apart in a pullapart lot. If I go back and the fenders seem straight then I may have to make an exception though.

BASICALLY is a 68 hood in pretty good shape worth the $35 that pull a part charges? matbe i'll see how much they want for the rest of the stuff too

Last edited by iliveintn; 02-16-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You don't have to pull it apart to remove it.IIRC 13 or so bolts and the lighting plug,then the whole front clip can be tilted forward.If the core support and fenders aren't any good and the grille is trashed there's really no reason to pull the whole thing.If you need the hood it's worth $35.00 if you don't it will probably just be in your way.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
iliveintn

really? anyone care to explain that a little more. If i could get that front end out in one piece id be ecstatic.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'll try to remember.There are two bolts on the core support (the nuts are square and in the channel of the core support they may break loose and have to be held).One in each fenderwell.One on each side of the cab behind the door(near the upper hinge).The connector at the firewall for electrical(has a bolt in the center IIRC.Four bolts on the brace for the drivers fenderwell by the syeering shaft.Make sure you close the hood so everything stays in alignment.
I may have missed a couple.Try using this search
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...earchid=704705
several threads with more tips.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
iliveintn

thanks for the help man! I think some of this might be a pain to do at a pull apart but idk.....id really like this front end for a future project or to put on my blazer cause its pretty nice. oh well I guess i'll figure it out. Thanks for the help!

EDIT - I think that search may be short a few numbers or something because its not pulling up any threads for me.

Last edited by iliveintn; 02-17-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
TN67chevy

well unless they got another truck in since wed. i got the hood and grill.it was the only 68 on the yard.the fenders was to rusty plus when they set it dont on those wheels it crused the bottoms.i give 40 bucks no rust and 1 dent.the grill was kinda dinged up but after some bangin with a hammer looks pretty good compared to about 300 for a new 1.
TN67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote