The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2002, 10:58 AM   #1
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

Is anyone else as slow as I am??

Man, I went at it last night for like 6 hours. In that time I --
put on spindles, rotors, calipers
removed alt and brackets
removed A/C and brackets
removed P/S and brackets
removed and cleaned Qjet carb (hope I don't have to replace this bastard)
removed fan shroud
removed all header bolts, spark plugs, wires
cussed incessantly at the fact that my brackets don't seem to fit with the new water pump

This didn't feel like a lot to me. Felt like I shoulda been on the short bus with this deal! Is it just me?
Old 10-23-2002, 12:23 PM   #2
71GMC_3/4T
Weapons Of Construction

Man, you are *slow*! That should've only taken you 5 1/2 hours! Quit taking so many breaks!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:23 PM   #3
COBALT

Depends on how long you've been doing this, or whether or not you're a hoby-ist or a mechanic for real, and how you're garage space is set up, and whether or not you're drinking beer as you work.

I'm slower than most because I'm extremely detailed with what I do. I check and double-check stuff all the time. I also take notes, and on big stuff take pictures. Since I'm not a mechanic by trade, and grew up working on tractors and stuff I'm learning how to make things asthetically pleasing vs. just making it functional.

My TH400 book says that a professional rebuilder can rebuild several trannys in one day. It will easily take a month of weekends for me just to do one, because I'll want to document everything, and go hunting for parts and stuff.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:30 PM   #4
RodC

I work on my 71 for fun. As soon as I get in a hurry I aint havin fun anymore. Time to do something else. If you are havin fun who cares if it takes you a week to rebuild a carb? Plus I involve my 12 and 14yo sons, they slow me down a bit, but its worth it.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:39 PM   #5
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

Thumbs down

Hmmm, good points. 2 car garage with little room for much but tools. Not the best but not the worst and no air tools. I'm trying to only hurry on individual tasks (loosening a bolt, etc.) but take my time on prep and planning. I am definitely a hobbyist. Reasonably competent with some things but really taking my time with new stuff. I think I know more than I have done so when it takes longer than I envisioned, I somehow an shocked. LOL I guess I just want this baby back on the road! She was my daily driver for over a decade and it's been over a year against my will!
Old 10-23-2002, 03:30 PM   #6
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

It would take me a lot longer than that to do all that you did. I'm definitely a novice at this engine stuff so I really like to plan and know what I'm doing before jumping in. I wish I would have made a time sheet for the engine swap I'm doing right now. Would be real interesting to see how long it will take. I only get to work 2-3 hours per night after the kids are asleep so everything seems to take forever. I don't care though, cause being in my barn at night, listening to music, drinking an occassional beer is exactly what I want to be doing. It's very relaxing and I get a kick out of seeing the tasks I'm able to do.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I dont get in a hurry, my longhorn is my hobby. I say quality over quantity,& if I get a little "burned out" on the project.....i walk away for awhile. I tend to spend a lot of time on little details, to make things the way i like(too many words......very finicky covers it!) The run of the mill daily repairs are very boring to me, i would rather have my fabrication "hat" on. At times i do feel that the project isnt moving fast enough, but there are no "bolt on" trick parts on my rig, & that is something that covers my idea of a hotrod......built in my garage, by a little fat man in a beard! My dad alway told me that "rome was not built in a day", & alot of us have families, & other priorities.....thats life. build it once & build it right.......what does time matter? Crazy AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 08:45 PM   #8
srhart71

Still working on 2 to 4wd conversion. 4 years in January since 4wd frame was sandblasted (by me) to start project. Unfortunately I work about five states from home and only get to work on it about 4 hours a month. Since it is only a sanity refresher (hobby) for me, I will be happy if it is done before the truck reaches 50.
One other thing, when it's finished, I can look back and know that I was the one that messed up all the little details that aren't exactly perfect.
srhart71 is offline   Reply With Quote