The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
steppside69

converter lock up

I have a question for anyone who can answer, WHat is converter lock up?
I have a problem with my tranny and was told it was in the torque converter possibly converter lock up. Is that a sensor or do I need to replace the converter? I was looking online at several local parts stores and there are a wide variety of replacement converters. They range from 130-600$. If that is the problem is the cheapest price the best? this is a daily driver (1995 GMC 5.0L 460le tranny)
I want to try and fix it today but need some advice on what to buy.
Thanks for the advice
steppside69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: converter lock up

Moved to proper forum.
when the converter goes into lock up, there is no slippage between the engine RPM and the tranny. It is a mechanical link, that engages and disengages acording to what the computer is telling it.
What is the truck actually doing? What is the fault?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
steppside69

The symptoms are : When i accelerate there is a hessiation then it shifts and another pause ect. When the truck takes off I can feel a chugging feeling, when i give it more gas that is where the hessitation is. If I give it enough gas it will downshift, and wind out the entire gear. This only happens when it is at opperating temp!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that sounds like engine tune... fuel filter maybe, could be tune up, but not real likely.
If the converter was stuck in lock up, it woiuld stall with a very abusive, scarey BANG every time you put it in gear. It would be the same as in a 5 speed car, just poping the clitch as the engine idles.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
steppside69

Well I just replaced the fuel filter a week ago, I took it to a local mechanic to help diagnos it for me. He said it was the fuel filter and changed it, I drove it to school, on the way there ran better but there was still a hesition, After school while driving home hesitation was worse. I called the mechanic and asked if the fuel filter could have plugged up that fast, He said it was likley something to do with eletrical system (spark module, distributor, plugs, ect.)
This all started when we had very cold weather 4-5 degrees F, I was leaving for school, I started the truck and put it in gear, hit the gas and it made a nasty clunking sound and stahled. The truck stahled 3 more times (only when i stopped) After all that it developed the hesitation. I think it only geting worse know it is backfiring with the hesitation on light acceleration. If you can point me in the right direction
Thanks