The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
longorange68

Gen IV Swap AND Mechanical Clutch Linkage???

Current Setup:68 C-10 2WD, 250 I-6, SM 465, 3.08 rear

I have a pretty good lead on a complete 2001 LS1/T-56 from a Camaro, for a really decent price. I understand that there is Gen IV conversion mounts and crossmembers available aftermarket, but am a little confused about the hydraulic clutch setup. I understand that there are pros and cons to everything, but I have never really had to swap pedals and set up a hydraulic clutch system. Is there a way to keep my existing mechanical set up and use it for this application? I need some input before this deals folds in a week or so, otherwise I will have to pass it up I still can't get over the whole 6 gears thing, that really has me excited!!!

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience, well......that comes from bad judgment.

1968 Chevy C-10 "Longshot": Bought used from my Uncle George in 1994 and proceeding to beat the hell out of it for 4 years. Sold it. Bought it back, dumped an ungodly amount of money into it since then.
longorange68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
koolky
67-72 Addicted

Re: Gen IV Swap AND Mechanical Clutch Linkage???

I dont think you can use a mechanical clutch linkage. I recently put an LS2 + T56 into my 70 camaro and I used a hydraulic system. I got my master and line from ATS http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...unt2=974784493
Take a look at the adapter they make for camaros, I think you could easily make a simple adapter that mounts your master cylinder in line with your brake peddle. Ill send some pictures of my camaro. hope this helps.
koolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
billyjo

I used my original pedal for my swap and used a hydralic master. I had to make a bracket because the bracket for the Camaro is opposite the way it needs to be to work on a truck but the principal is the same.

1972 K/5 4x4, Radixed LS1 6.0, 428HP/445TQ, Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam, WCCH 90mm J-Tube, LS2 90mm TB, Stainless Works Headers, NV4500, 4.56 gears, Detroit Lockers, 14 bolt FF, Dana 60, 4 wheel disk Hydro Brakes, dual electric fans, Autometer guages, 4" lift, Zero Rates, Weld Evo Velocity XT8 wheels, 35x12.5x17 Super Swamper SSR's.....
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tos/?start=all

Last edited by billyjo; 02-21-2008 at 09:27 AM.
billyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
longorange68

OK, got over my fear of the hydraulic clutch, a buddy straightened me out on that subject.

However, Have you or anyone on this board done a conversion like this? Is there going to be an issue with where the shifter comes through the floor hump? What are my options as far as linkage if things don't go right with clearance and my bench seat? Really need a hand on this one, any insight is appreciated.

Josh

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience, well......that comes from bad judgment.

1968 Chevy C-10 "Longshot": Bought used from my Uncle George in 1994 and proceeding to beat the hell out of it for 4 years. Sold it. Bought it back, dumped an ungodly amount of money into it since then.
longorange68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

first off, that's not a GenIV, it's a GenIII. if i were you, i would not pay more than $2,500 for that setup (SHIPPED) if it has more than 30k miles on it.

second, see the link in my signature. don't bother with mechanical linkage, go hydraulic. TRUST ME.

third - i just picked up a crossmember and the entire from suspension from a 73-87 GM pickup (half ton, C10). it is a direct bolt-up to our truck, and if you happen to have the engine mounts from the LS1 already, they are two pieces...it just so happens that the half that bolts to the LS1 block perfectly fits the bottom half of the 73-87 engine mount A company called Early Classic sells a setup (which i used) for $250 - and I can tell you, they're just selling you the 73-87 mount's lower half and putting their own custom top half on it.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 02-22-2008 at 01:29 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
koolky
67-72 Addicted

Now that I think about it you might actualy have a problem with the shifter as it is far back about 30" from the engine.
koolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Why? I did it, and so have others.

If you use the stock location of the SBC mounts (like the ECE ones I used), Chevy made the GenIII blocks to sit 4" farther forward than a standard SBC block, which puts the shifter right here:

http://satellitehead.com/gallery/dis...album=9&pos=64

It leaves it sitting about 2" in front of the bench seat, or if you have buckets, it's about 4" in front of the buddy. it's a good, comfy location for quick shifts, versus the awkward stock location practically up under the dash.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote