The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
OleSenna
Roof: Bad. Sky: Good.

Need help: How low can you go K5 4x4?

My '72 4WD came with a Skyjacker 2.5" all spring lift kit & Pro-Comp shocks, no rear blocks, with urethane shackle bushings in the frame and leaf springs.

Name:  Front 3qtr.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  38.4 KB

I've asked this before, but lost the thread. I want to lower the body to street-cruiser height, a little lower than stock (1-2") but not slammed. What's the easiest/cheapest way to do this? Any pics of the process available?

I won't be doing the work myself (no garage, time, etc. ). Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on the cost of gettin' 'er done?

Thx in advance for any help!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Need help: How low can you go K5 4x4?

That`s unique.I don`t think I`ve ever seen anyone do this before.Are you familiar with how they sit in stock form?They`re pretty easy to get in and out of,if that`s what you`re after.If it`s for a look I must say it`ll be one of a kind.De-arched springs could be used.The stock fronts are already negative arched.Go much lower and you`ll need to remove the snubbers.My stock GMC is real close already.In the rear you can use longer shackles that they sell for leaf rear 2wds.There are also lowered spring mounts for 73-ups which I`m sure you could make work.I guess you`d be wanting (needing) lower profile tires,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
OleSenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That`s unique.I don`t think I`ve ever seen anyone do this before.Are you familiar with how they sit in stock form?They`re pretty easy to get in and out of,if that`s what you`re after.If it`s for a look I must say it`ll be one of a kind.De-arched springs could be used.The stock fronts are already negative arched.Go much lower and you`ll need to remove the snubbers.My stock GMC is real close already.In the rear you can use longer shackles that they sell for leaf rear 2wds.There are also lowered spring mounts for 73-ups which I`m sure you could make work.I guess you`d be wanting (needing) lower profile tires,too.
Thanks, SpecialK, but I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm not necessarily interested in trying to hold onto any of the existing hardware. In fact, the 4x4 shop that will be doing the work will take the shocks and anything else that comes off the truck as trade-in for the labor and whatever additional components we need to complete the job. Already have the low profile tires mounted (275/60 Uniroyals, not in picture).
Old 02-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
bigbadchev72
People know me

please dont. Just get a 2wd instead
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

I think I'd just go ahead with an axle flip on the rear and install a 2wd front suspension crossmember. Of course you would also want to deep six the 4x4x trans and transfer case.......Anyhow, that's how I would handle it.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
OleSenna

If I keep both trans & axles, front & rear, does that mean stock height is as low as it gets? Or is there room to lower things a wee bit without installing a totally new suspension setup?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've never seen anyone lower a first gen 4wd. I think you may be doing some exploratory research.

I think the front is what is going to give you the most trouble. You can't put lowing blocks in the front and you may run into steering component binding. Try dropping it back down to stock and see if you like it better first. If that's not what you're looking for, your best bet might be to get the springs re-arched to a lower stance. I'd be interesting in following your progress as it is a unique idea.

Converting to 2wd is always an option and cheaper than buying a factory 2wd.

Did your truck come from Washington State? It looks familiar.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Rokcrln

Wel their are several things you will need to consider with this. First is how stiff do you want it to ride? Reason is if you go much lower than stock you will run into problems with the front bottoming out on the frame or diff to oil pan. So what you would need to do is get stiffer shocks or smaller bump stops to keep from hitting as much. Now the first thing you should do is go out with a tape measure and see what you closest part is. I think it will be ether the axel to frame or diff to oil pan. So lets just say that the axel to frame is now 7" and you have a 2.5" lift on it now. So stock would be about 4.5" of clearance at stock height and for normal driving and road conditions I think you would want at least 3" minimum so you are not always bottoming it out. This means you could go another 1.5" below stock. So go out and find out how much room you have and bring that # back to the board and we can figure out the best way to get you their. Hope this all made sence.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Mint68

There is a 2 wheel drive frame for sale on the classifieds board. I would buy that and swap the frame, at least it would look factory then.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
OleSenna

Thanks for the input, guys. I didn't realize this project was, um, blazing new territory. But is what I'm talking about really as radical as it sounds? Has no one attempted a lower than stock drop on a 4x4 before?

Rockcrin, sounds like a plan. I can't afford a 2WD conversion at this time. Just want a little less height than stock and I'm not averse to stiffening the ride to prevent bottoming out. In fact, I have a front sway bar I'm planning on adding to the mix. Is that going to pose any clearance issues? I'll take that measurement in the morning and get back to you. Here's the front undercarriage as it sits today:

Name:  Undercarriage front.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  30.4 KB

Yes, Bouncy, seems like nothing slips by you. I bought the Blazer on eBay from a fellow in Washington for $6K even (these are his pix from the eBay listing, which probably explains how you recognized it). Turned out to be a pretty nice deal. The truck is in fine shape with a bit of rust around the driver's door, rocker and corners of the windshield frame, and some rust spots along the bottom of the tailgate. Otherwise, body is clean and solid. Interior is in great shape. So far, I've added a pair of Flo-Fit sporty car seats and that's about it. Immediate plans include a Tuffy center console with secure sound system and a BesTop to replace the double-wall roof.

Name:  Console tunnel.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  22.1 KB

Drivetrain has been nothing but smooth humming: 350 crate motor with VortecZZ5 heads & serpentine kit; Comp Cams rods, cams, lifters, rockers; Edelbrock carb & manifold; MSD; TH 350, NP205, etc.

Name:  Engine bay1.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  34.2 KB

It's my daily driver, so I'm not trying to go rad custom or anything, just improve the ingress and egress, set it down on the 275/60s and sport a lower profile.

I really appreciate the advice. Will post updated pics ASAP.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
vtblazer

If your still running the stock body mounts, a set of poly mounts will lower it a small amount too.

I bet the max drop allowable will be determined by the drive train, mainly the front axle clearance.

Doing an axle over swap would net you 3/4 inches right off if there's room to do it.
Then you could go with 2wd shocks.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Look at how your Blazer is,now.Measure the distance from top of axle(front)to frame and any other relations that are in the same clearance range.Observe and measure top of differential to crossmember/oil pan/etc.Observe the geometry of the steering/angles.Now,take 2 1/2" off that.There`s your stock baseline.Now what are all those measurements and how much do you figure your suspension will cycle?You can jack wheel up one side at a time and get an idea.You can lift the whole front at once to see how it dips.But,remember this is static.Realtime driving with drop it below this mark.This mark is just whereit sits natural with weight tossed to the front,like a dip in the road.But it will compress lowe before returning to it`s natural spot.
Are you going for the current trend in all wheel drive SUVs with the vintage style?I don`t see the 4wd being any benefit other than bad road conditions or maybe a ride on the beach with low profile flotation tires(wide).
Here`s a truck with(I feel) under stock height springs that I have.First with another that is about 2" raised like yours.The higher truck has 285/75x16(32").The lower has 12.50/33x16.5(31):

Here it is alone.The tires rub and the rims are 8.25 wide.I`d normally run 9.75s,no way on this.

Smaller tires would bring it down,but you get an example.That truck has 1" to the snubbers and 3" to the frame if the were removed.The differential is about on plane with the oil pan and crossmember at it highest point.But,may not quite line up enough to hit when compressed,but I wouldn`t want my fingers in there.The springs have about 2 1/2-3" droop/negative arch.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-24-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
DANTES JIMMY

I Say Go For It It Is Not My Cup Of Tea But Hey
Different Strokes Right
I Think If You Go An Inch Or Three It Would Be Ok With All Steering Componets But Ive Never Done It Either
From A Guy Who Has Lowered A Bunch Of Diff Vehicles
And Lifted A Whole Bunch Of Them
I Can Tell You Right Now That What You Are Wanting To Do With Out A Lot Of Money And Experience You Can Probably Throw A Good Ride Completely Out Of The Window
They Never Ride The Same Some Lifted Ride Better
Ive Riden In Some That Were Bagged And They Rode A Whole Lot Better
After Looking At Your Ride I Think You Should Consider Going Stock Height And Maybe A Smaller Tire Only
Maybe A 245 -60-15
That Would Make One Pretty Low And Still Ride Pretty Nice

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A 2.5 LIFT AND 35 INCH TIRES
IF YOU GO STOCK AND A SMALL TIRE
I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED IF IT WERE 5-7 INCHES LOWER STEP IN HEIGHT FROM
FROM WHERE IT IS RIGHT NOW

Last edited by DANTES JIMMY; 02-24-2008 at 08:14 PM.
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
DANTES JIMMY

Heck If We Were Closer
I'd Trade Ya My Stock Stuff For Your Lift And Do The Swap
But Ga Is A Bit Far For Me To Haul My Tools
Lol
Good Luck
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
jamie72

i would go stock, or wait till i could find a 2wd frame and do it right, thats too nice a blazer to mess up. imo... good luck with what you decide..

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #16
OleSenna

Quote: IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A 2.5 LIFT AND 35 INCH TIRES IF YOU GO STOCK AND A SMALL TIRE I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED IF IT WERE 5-7 INCHES LOWER STEP IN HEIGHT FROM FROM WHERE IT IS RIGHT NOW.

You're right (sort of), DJ, the pix show 2.5" lift with 33" BFGs (not 35s). As I mentioned, though, I have already swapped out the tires for 275/60s on the same stock K5 15" rims. So, yes, it has already been lowered some just by virtue of the tire profile.

The objective is to remove the 2.5" Skyjacker lift, then see how much lower than stock I can go without swapping out a lot of hardware. Eventually, I'll probably do a full 2WD conversion or purchase a factory 2WD. Right now, I'm not so much interested in getting style points as I am figuring out the least expensive, easiest way to get the truck down as much as possible and still keep things practical and safe. If stock ends up looking and feeling good, I'll stop there.

Previously, I asked about the front sway bar. Anybody had any experience with them that might apply here?

Thanks again for all input. I'll be posting measurements and pix later this morning.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #17
OleSenna

OK, here's what I got:

REAR: 7.5" from top of diff to frame, 7" from top of axle to bottom of 3" rubber bump stop.

FRONT: 7" from top of diff to frame, driveshaft appears to be able to clear oil pan, but only by a smidgen, 6.5" from top of shackle binding (for front leafs) to bottom of rubber bump stop.

Hope this helps. Gotta run errands, but I'll try and post some pix later.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

That white GMC I show has no more than 3" u-bolt plate to frame.You`d have to remove the snubbers to go any lower.There`s 1" from u-bolt plate to snubbers.I showed my truck so you could see how that sits.I really don`t think you can go any lower.I wouldn`t want to ride on the snubbers and I surely wouldn`t remove them.The springs are bowed up in the center about 3".Basically it suts about 2" under stock.Look at the rake with the stock rear suspension.See the relation between top of 12.50/33 to top of fender well compared to your picture with 12.50/33 and 2 1/2" lift?That`s what you`ll have My truck could not sit any lower.I have a stock height K/10 with 235/75x15s and it looks lifted compared to the GMC.

Tim

Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #19
OleSenna

I know how we all love visual aids, so I've managed to conjure up a few pix for general viewing and because they may pertain to this thread about lowering my K5. Here's how she sits today with the 2.5" lift and 275/60s on 15" rims:

Name:  Side View.bmp.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  44.4 KB

Interior with Flo-Fit Seats:

Name:  Upload Test03.JPG
Views: 936
Size:  41.3 KB

Gotta love a clean dash:

Name:  Upload Test11.JPG
Views: 917
Size:  35.0 KB

Rear bench (soon to be covered):

Name:  Upload Test07.JPG
Views: 916
Size:  29.3 KB

Double wall top with aux gas tank cap:

Name:  Upload Test08.JPG
Views: 906
Size:  30.2 KB

That's all for now, kids. Enjoy nd thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #20
vtblazer

Now you 'have to' find a way to lower it, those smaller tires look lonely sitting all by themselves.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #21
see ten
WTB this ad

Here's how low my K10 was when I bought it. It was really hard to tell that it was a 4x4. If I recall there was VERY little room between the bumpstops and the axle. She did ride like a Caddy!

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
OleSenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Now you 'have to' find a way to lower it, those smaller tires look lonely sitting all by themselves.
Yeah, I know. At the time, the tires were a sweet deal that I couldn't pass up (long story). Also, I had the prospect of additional income that, ultimately, went to other causes. Hence, my dilemma.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #23
OleSenna

As long as we're on the subject, the 33"x12.5"x15" BFG All-Terrains are in storage and for sale @ $250 for the set (can I post this here?). They have very few miles on them (PO said 1,200 and I put on less than 100). Here's a pic of the tread:

Name:  BFG tread.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  25.3 KB

Also, I will be selling the double wall top when I have the funds to buy a BesTop. It has a 3" crack above the driver's horizontal opening (see pic); otherwise, it's in great shape, doesn't leak a drop and has auxiliary gas tank openings on both sides (don't know whether that was factory standard). I'm thinking it's worth $4-500.

Name:  Upload Test06.JPG
Views: 898
Size:  25.0 KB

If posting this info here isn't kosher, please let me know.

Last edited by OleSenna; 02-27-2008 at 09:45 AM.
OleSenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #24
Rokcrln

I am thinking your best bet is to find a very used set of stock springs srom a short bed (should not be as warn as a long bed set, less heavy use) and run those but with new busings. Should be erasy to find and cheap if not free if you offer yours in trade. Might even be abto make a few bucks if you toss in the tires. This will set you under stock and will be the easiest way to go with out hacking things up, still give you a good if not better than now ride and will be a very straite forward swap. Are you having a hard time getting in and out now for any reason or is it just I want it lower kind of thing. I am only 35 but with my back I know I like them lower.
Put an add in the 4 sale section with "WTT good lifted springs for sagging old ones" and you should get a few hits. WTT stands for Wants To Trade!

PS nice looking ride.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #25
1969k10stepside

They set pretty low stock (Too low for me,they almost look like a 2wd). Mine sat way low on stock suspension even with 33s.I think you would be happy with just stock springs.If you're gonna lower it below stock,go 2wd.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 02-25-2008 at 10:53 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote