The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Factory A/C or aftermarket.....

I have been trying to decide on using the factory a/c or just installing an aftermarket system such as a Vintage Air system. For the costs involved I can basically restore and replace my factory system.....

What are you guys running?

Opinions and thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Madmandav
Madmandav

Re: Factory A/C or aftermarket.....

IMO the factory air is sloppy and ugly. I have a '72 with factory air and had considered using the cab and chassie for my '70 build, but decided to go with aftermarket because you get a cleaner firewall and new technology, but that's just me.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=287407
'72 Chevy longbed
'70 Chevy longbed (million pieces)(FROSTBITE)
'79 Monte Carlo
'07 Chevy HHR
'00 Yamaha V-star
'05 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged
Madmandav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
extd56

If you goign for the original look and the a/c works good keep it. But for a custom truck or if your truck never had a/c I would use the aftermarket companies. I am using hot rod air on my 67 extended cab truck.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by extd56 View Post
If you goign for the original look and the a/c works good keep it. But for a custom truck or if your truck never had a/c I would use the aftermarket companies. I am using hot rod air on my 67 extended cab truck.
x100 and

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Mint68

I have factory air that works. I had my compressor rebuilt and new lines put on a couple years ago. It blows really cold air, but my blazer never really cools down. The passenger vent gets the bulk of the air, and the driver gets like half the pressure or the passenger gets. I dont know how well it would cool down a truck, but the blazer seems to big to ever really cool down. If I didn't have it already, I would look into aftermarket.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
extd56

I have the crew cab and the extended cab that I am building which have lots of space to cool. If you had a Suburban think how hot it would get in the back.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
6872xtc

I have Vintage air in my 68 4x4 and really wish I had put the factory unit in due to several reasons. I ordered the kit for a big block and had to rework compressor brackets to get a bolt out of the back of the power steering resevior, then fix the case mounting bracket under the dash. The passenger side vent rod hits the case when you open the vent, because airflow through the cab is nice when not hot enough for A/C. The system cools well but is noisy, but by far the biggest problem is that in the winter the windows are always fogging over because of recirculate air only. When I use the dehumidified defrost,(with the thermostat set for winter) the air is barely warm. I have never had that problem with my factory A/C truck and both trucks run 180 deg thermostats. I tried a 195 stat with little improvement and then had to change it back to the 180 when summer hit.
6872xtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:53 AM   #8
trucks72
trucks72

I have the factory air set ups on all my trucks. But on the last couple i put n up date kit on them. It takes the dryer off the core support and puts it o the evap. housing. And puts an orfice tube in the lines. It make it just like the late model trucks. It works really great .
trucks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
mnunn454

For me, I'm going aftermarket because I picked up a use unit out of a street rod for $50, plus mine's a custom truck that never had A/C to start with.

If you go aftermarket, some units are noisy on med and high speeds and personally, I find that annoying.

Maybe find someone close to you that has one and go listen to it.
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Thanks for the input guys, my truck is not going back to be factory original thats for sure.... And the slick firewall thing is not really a concern either.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint68 View Post
I have factory air that works. I had my compressor rebuilt and new lines put on a couple years ago. It blows really cold air, but my blazer never really cools down. The passenger vent gets the bulk of the air, and the driver gets like half the pressure or the passenger gets. I dont know how well it would cool down a truck, but the blazer seems to big to ever really cool down. If I didn't have it already, I would look into aftermarket.

your welcome for that kick A$$ a/c rebuild job

Last edited by BurnoutNova; 02-26-2008 at 09:36 AM.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

I went with a factory looking A/C. I replaced the condensor for a 134-A, compressor took the drier out of it and replaced with acumlator and it's running 134-A with a orffice tube.
It will keep you cool on hot summer days running 36 degree's. The firewall is all orignal. I did put new hoses on it.
The only thing I have noticed is at a long idle time the temp. will start to rise to about 45 degree's iif you let it sit there for awhile.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
suville

Interesting thread. I've done considerable research into this issue as I have a 68 Fleetside and a 69 Burb ,both of which will have air it gets hot here in southern Idaho. Anyway I have decided on "Classic Auto Air", if anyone has any input on this companies product please advise! One very decisive factor in choosing this unit is they incorporate two coils one for heat and one for cold all other aftermarket units share a common heat,cool core if you look at the factory unit you will notice GM used two cores a heater core and a cooling core. Just makes sence it will be more efficient,as far as fan noise they use "Spal" fans plus they are based in Texas and Florida and it gets quite hot in both places!
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Classic air is who I bought my stuff from. I would say they are one of the best. They sent me all the fittings to cover any size hose and component to hook up to. I would recommend them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #15
suville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Classic air is who I bought my stuff from. I would say they are one of the best. They sent me all the fittings to cover any size hose and component to hook up to. I would recommend them.
Did you do the install or have a shop install? Do you have any pics of the unit installed? Your confirmation is certainly in line with what I have found so far with those using "Classic Auto Air" Preciate the input as these units are not cheap. I had considered using a "Factory" unit and had one but after pricing all that was needed to "restore" the unit to "factory" specs I decided to spend about half again and end up with modern technology and easily replaceable parts.I'm expecting around 12-1500 bucks for one of these units by the time its installed ( I'll do that) and working (using a reputable Air Condishioning service center) to accomplish this! What did you use for a controller, I understand you can use the stock "heater" controll can or did you use the stock "air' controller ?
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

I would recommend Classic Auto air as well. I talked with Ron there and he recommended going with the new Sanden 508 compressor. The old A6's use at least 15% of your engine power. The Sanden's only use about 2 or 3%. He also said that the A6's weren't meant to cycle off and on.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up

Last edited by chevydog66; 02-27-2008 at 08:35 AM.
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

I had the old A-6 compressor before this setup. It never lasted over a year. I bought a new one for 134-A and Auto Zone replaced it twice. They told me that was it. Lifetime warrinty doesn't mean they will replace it everytime it quits working. So they said anyway. I don't buy nothing from them anymore either that is LIFETIME!

suville,
the install was all by me I even put the air in a non A/C cab when I first installed it back in 1987. All I didn't do is make the ends up.

chevydog66,
you are correct they weren't meant to cycle and the clutch will not hold up over time doing this.

Here is the old setup:

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
JMac11

Andy,

Are you using the stock evaporator???
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #19
stope4

I've owned both, factory and aftermarket. If the truck is factory ac, I wouldn't even consider aftermarket unless you wanted the space under the hood for something. If the truck is not factory ac, all you can do is use aftermarket. My observations of the aftermaket are they are loud in the cab because the fan has been moved from outside under the passenger fender to inside, they fog the windows almost every morning for whatever reason, they blow cold but so does the factory original.

I personnally like the way the factory ac looks under the hood. It seems to balance the look, especially when you have power brakes. I've never thought the firewall should look like the outside painted surfaces. Not to say it never looks good because I've seen many cars and trucks with a smooth firewall that looked good. It's just something I would never do again if I have a factory ac vehicle.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

JMac11,
well sorta. when I installed the 134-a a/c the first time I went to a mid 80's truck evaperator so it would have the right fittings on it for the acumalator. After doing it I found out they are the same size though so it should work with the orignal stuff.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #21
barraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I went with a factory looking A/C. I replaced the condensor for a 134-A, compressor took the drier out of it and replaced with acumlator and it's running 134-A with a orffice tube.
It will keep you cool on hot summer days running 36 degree's. The firewall is all orignal. I did put new hoses on it.
The only thing I have noticed is at a long idle time the temp. will start to rise to about 45 degree's iif you let it sit there for awhile.

What is that accumulator off of? And what oriface did you install?
barraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #22
mrein3

In a space the size of a truck cab, I'd go with a stock setup. I converted my non-AC cab to AC. I spent $100 buying stuff off an AC truck, $100 for a new set of hoses at LMC, and about $50 rebuilding the ac controls and switch I got with the original $100 worth of stuff. R134a is $6.50 at Wal*Mart all day long. $3 in the fall off the close-out rack.

Never cycle an A6 compressor. I have an A6 in my 1972 Chevelle. (Same AC system as the truck). I had to replace the receiver dryer in 1989. At that time I refreshed all the o-rings, vacuumed it dry, and dumped 4 cans of R12 in it. To this day it blows cold air.

Since R12 is hard to get just convert your POA to run on R134a. Follow this link for directions:
http://www.autoacforum.com/messagevi...AR_MSGDBTABLE=

New and used parts for a stock setup:
$275
saving $1000 on AC verses aftermarket:
priceless.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #23
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

This thread seems to be producing more info than just what I was looking for... Thanks for all the thoughts guys!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #24
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

Looks good. I will be getting a Sanden 508 and some brackets and hoses from Classic Auto Air and selling my old A6 compressor.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:40 AM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

barraza,
Quote:
What is that accumulator off of? And what oriface did you install?
It's a mid 80's truck. The last one I bought out of O-Riley's and took the old one with me and matched it up. The only thing I don't like about the 134-A stuff is it want cool off as good as the r-12 when sitting still at speed it's fine just want stay down if sitting for a long peroid of time.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club