The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
tkeduk8r

EBAY RANT!!! ebayers beware...

I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but i am so irritated.. the mods can move if they feel necessary... I had sold some gauges (car) for my buddy on ebay to a guy in Canada. No problem right??? wrong... I receiev his MO and get the package sent out to him... soon afterward I struggle through some virus issues with my PC. I get it resolved and low and behold he claims he never receives the package... claims I sent it to the wrong address. I agree with him that this could happen, but I sent it to the addy he gave me... I agree that once I recieve the package back I'll resend it, but he just wants his money back, and requests that I get it to him via paypal. HMMMM, so I finally receive the package back and it looks as though its been opened and resealed (this could have been done by customs I guess, but who knows) and it is marked with large letters "MOVED"... So once I receive the package back I refund the $$$ with a Postal Money order for the amount of the item sans shipping (about 20 bucks) since he didnt want the item.... now after claiming that I didnt send him the MO to the right addy again due to an elongated time of arrival again, BUT this time he does receive it a few days after his gripe, and now he wants to take the whole episode up with ebay because I didnt refund him the full amount (item + shipping)... did I do something wrong???? I know if I sell anything on the bay again, there will be a clause about returned items and refunding of such fees. At least I have a favorable feedback rating with a few other items i have sold, but I havnt sold ALOT of items and this fellow will hit my feedback score... just seems fishy to me how some of the things have unfolded... unreal... Well ebayers beware and as an added bit, besure if you do sell things between US and Canada it does take a significanly longer time for items to arrive between the two... allright im off my box...
--Mike
68 Buick Skylark Custom Conv., 350/TH400/2.56 In our family since '79
69 GMC 1500 SWB 2WD, 350/TH350/3.73 posi...
70 K10 SWB 4X4 4-sp,ps, pb, tilt, buckets, console, sliding back window (Need AC parts) WIP
72 Chevy K20 4x4 350/350/205/4.56 donor
72 Vette 350/M21/3.70 posi, triple black and super fast
84 Olds Cutlass Brougham 350/2004r/4.11 was Dad's
tkeduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

Re: EBAY RANT!!! ebayers beware...

If he received the money order why didn't he receive the package.

Did you send the MO and the package to the same address. If so, tell him to fly a kite, because he should have received the package.

Jason
jay_shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
griesel72

this is a tough one, we sell a lot on ebay, and have over 1000 feedback all positive. It seems that to keep your feedback score at 100% we have bad transactions once in a while and have to refund the price plus shipping and just eat the shipping and ebay fees. I figure that this is better than having a bad rating, even tough it costs us money. But then we usually block those "problem" people from buying from us again. If there is any chance you sent it to the wrong place, I probably would have refunded shipping, but some sellers wouldn't.

It does seem odd that he didn't send you paypal the first time, and then wanted you to send it paypal back to him, and the fact that he didn't want the part after the error was discovered (i mean, it isn't like the cluster expired due to the long transit time)

Don't give up on ebay due to one bad sale, we have set our account to only sell in the united states and only to people with paypal accounts due to problems like yours.

Ebay will just look into it and tell you what they want you to do, i would just let them settle your case and do what they say.

good luck
David
2006 King Ranch
1980 Wife
griesel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Sounds to me like you did all you could do. I've had someone return an item to me claiming it was damaged. There was no damage, but we were able to work things out so he didn't leave negative feedback. I didn't refund his shipping either, but I had clearly stated that I would not refund shipping.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
tkeduk8r

Unhappy Re: EBAY RANT!!! ebayers beware...

Thanks for the replys.. makes me feel a bit better... I have heard too many horror stories about paypal, so I requested that all payment be made by MO... So the paypal issue, was that he wanted my to refund his $$$ via paypal that I had stated in my add I wouldnt do in the first place... I probably would have refunded the shipping cost if the item had been returned unopened and not had "Moved" written on it (suspicious).. plus the gentleman makes demands not requests... I try to tell my students not to deal with people that way, because they WILL deal with people who are that way, and I dont think it makes for productive business... oh well... If he does press the issue with ebay I will go along with whatever they say, and I will also set my account to not sell to canada, although it is frusterating as a car/truck hobbiest that I am limiting the opportunity for people to buy those "unobtainium" parts for their projects ... I have bought on ebay for about 10 years and have been very pleased, but of the 10 or so parts I have sold, I have had one deadbeat bidder (won item and never sent payment or acknowledged he had won) and this issue... I guess I'll find out in the next few days what is going on...
--Mike
68 Buick Skylark Custom Conv., 350/TH400/2.56 In our family since '79
69 GMC 1500 SWB 2WD, 350/TH350/3.73 posi...
70 K10 SWB 4X4 4-sp,ps, pb, tilt, buckets, console, sliding back window (Need AC parts) WIP
72 Chevy K20 4x4 350/350/205/4.56 donor
72 Vette 350/M21/3.70 posi, triple black and super fast
84 Olds Cutlass Brougham 350/2004r/4.11 was Dad's
tkeduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #6
hilljob26

i have been on both ends.only when i buy something and dont recieve it do to whatever,i only expect the price back,shipping is a givin,so i usually dont bother with that

HILLJOB GRAPHIX--for all your graphic needs
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542497
LS ENGINE SWAP INFORMATION THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377348
4l60 to an NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post3697343
hilljob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

I've done quite a bit as well. Shipping is considered a separate service, I will usually pay the return though.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
caminokid
Chevy nut

I sold a Pioneer receiver once. The guy claimed it was damaged. I asked for pics...he sent them. I figured there was something up cause it didnt look like my receiver. He sent it back....paypal gave him his money back...and the receiver wasnt mine. Not even the serial number matched. I fought it...and still lost. I think the whole Ebay/Paypal thing is bad. I will never deal with Ebay ever again.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Just sounds like you guys ran into some dishonest people. I have only had one negative experience in all the buying and selling I have done, which I mentioned above.

That crap about sending you back a damaged receiver that wasn't even yours is crooked. I can't believe ebay/paypal didn't look into that further. You could always put a clause in your auction that if the buyer doesn't pay for shipping insurance they will be stuck with an item if it's damaged.

Last edited by tdave00; 02-26-2008 at 06:43 AM.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

just sell to the USA only!
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #11
tys toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeduk8r View Post
and I will also set my account to not sell to canada, although it is frusterating .
--Mike
Dont think that way.....we have all had a few issues when it comes to ebay.
tys toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
just sell to the USA only!
I had a bad experience with someone in Australia once but I still sell to there.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
Infanti
www.infantimachine.com

I also sell quite a bit on ebay from Canada and it sound's to me like he was not being honest with you.Don't let one bad apple from Canada ruin it for any of you,this can happen from anywhere.There is good and bad people everywhere.Things do take longer to get because of the border but don't let that stop you.
Infanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Husker

Some people are just a$$ wipes, sounds like you found one and I work with alot of the others.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
Deuce

Is he in Calgary??

PM me if you want...............

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
corn

How does his feedback look? A little shady or is it good. Id say you did all you could do to make him happy, some just cant be made happy I guess...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
72armyswbtruck

When I was a heavy hitter on Ebay selling like 50 or so items per week, I required PayPal and I only shipped with delivery confirmation and insurance paid for by the seller and listed in the shipping amount. Occasionally you run into transactions like yours but on the whole most buyers really want their items and really are honest, don't give up on our neighbors to the North just yet.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #18

First off, ebay support is a joke and always will be. As long as they make there 5% or whatever they charge nowadays, they really could care less on the whole. sure every once and a while they'll do something but no often. as far as your situation goes, i would require both delivery confirmation and insurance, although that proved to be an absolute joke one time too with a collectible toy that came from canada. it's really a bunch of bs when it comes down to it, so if you do a little research about your bidders and sellers, it will probably pay off. hope this helps, and don't give up on the canucks. it goes both ways in the end, you will want something from canada and they'll say no shipping to the us. it just goes round and round.
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
67slammer

ebay is a joke!!! i bought a stepside bed for my 67 for $550, i drove from central pa to the northern tip of long island to find out that the pictures had to have been taken 5 or 6 years before. needless to say the bed was junk. the only thing good was the tailgate and i was not going to pay $550 for a tailgate. the trip cost me over $200 between gas and tolls. then the guy relisted the bed on ebay again the verry next day, still being listed as in good shape. i guess with ebay you have about a 50% chance of getting what you paid for.
67slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #20
Huck

I did e-bay for years----100% positive butttt, e-bay is BS when it comes to seller support. Had one complaint that was BS and I tried for 4 days to get e-bay help---they really are S$#@. Your buyer is trying to get out from under the deal. Lesson 1---never list or sell for a friend--show them how but don't get in the middle--it will always come back to bite you. 2- Selling outside of US is a PITA--Canada has some significant import duties that the shipper can incur like ($9. per book--I sold a 9 volumn Porsche factory service set for $200. and the buyer bauked at the Can duty fee!) So when I sell to Canada, I insist at US ship-to location. Europe etc.---you can get bit via Paypal if they charge to a credit card--they can reverse the charge and claim it never arrived--you are out the item, the sell fee, and the payment!!!! Again, ship US only with insurance and if big $$, signed receipt. You can insist on US Postal Money Order which is not perfect butt if an issue arises, US mail fraud is a fed issue that can get interesting.
E-bay is a huge business but buyer / seller beware is becoming worse and worse. Craigs list isn't any better butt at least it is free and it is usually local pickup and BS can be worked out. I've had 4-5 long drives (e-bay) for trucks that turned out bad --but I've also had some truck board long drives that turned out bad too. You can never ask enough questions & get enough pictures! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #21
StingRay

Customs will definitely open packages and Canada Post doesn't always get packages where they are supposed to be or if he moved they don't always get forwarded like they should be. I'll bet ya USPS is no better. Shipping Canada to US and vise versa usually is less than 14 days regular mail but if tied up by customs could take 9 weeks. Shippping by courier is probably no better as UPS would just leave it on his door step to be ripped off before he gets home. None of this stuff is your fault. I can say however when a seller does screw up I feel that it's the sellers responsibility to refund the price plus shipping and then pay for the return. It's not the buyers fault when a seller screws them over.

As for Huck's buyer who balked at the customs and duty. The guy was an a$$. Customs and duty are the buyers problem. Anything coming up here UPS, Fed Ex, etc the handling fees can be a killer. I always ask for my stuff to come USPS and it has always gotten here in good shape with to lowest fees and duties. It used to be when our dollar was lower that I expected to pay double in Can $ for an item by the time it was shipped and I paid customs fees, duties and taxes.

Sorry for your troubles. A$$holes come in all nationalities. Trust me I've been screwed on Ebay by Canadians and Americans alike. There are lots of good Ebay buyers up here as well as a few bad.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #22
spoon
Registered Penetrator

I have been an eBay seller for years and have 100% positive feedback, although not the bigtime 1000+ feedback. I am just smalltown. I have not sold to Canada or any other countries for that matter, but I usually make sure to include some type of return policy information in my items for sale.

I ALWAYS ship my items with some type of delivery confirmation, usually with a signature required. I also supply my buyers with tracking information that way if a shipping problem were to arise, they would feel comfortable knowing that they're not getting fooled. When buyers can see that you (the seller) are not at fault for a shipping issue, it is usually unlikely to have them file complaints with eBay. You can communicate more easily with the buyers during these stressful sitchiations as they are not completely pissed off at you, and issues can usually be resolved quickly.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #23
spoon
Registered Penetrator

Not only that, but I have never ever once in my life been screwed over on eBay, ever. I read the ads completely and ask questions if there is something out of the ordinary or if something seems left out of the ad for some reason. Also, I read and understand return policies and I read seller feedback. Doing these three things has kept me safe.

Last edited by spoon; 02-26-2008 at 09:23 PM.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #24
DANTIP

I have placed paint marks on my used parts prior to shipment and require that the marks remain intact if a damage claim is reported. Returned/damaged parts must have my paint marks to be accepted. Just an old salvage-yard trick.

Dan
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #25
3kidsnotime

I will not use paypal they will not stand up for you at all!! I use to take it, I sold a new transfer case in the crate on there for 750.00 took paypal he did a charge back on the creditcard said the shop charged him too much for the install???? What does that have to do with me? Paypal did nothing I did some checking on them and at that time did not have to fallow any federal banking laws they are or were not a bank just a business. so never again.
3kidsnotime is offline   Reply With Quote