The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
53lochevy

53 Air Tanks/C-Notch Installed/Frame Primed

It was a pretty good week and weekend in Dallas so got quite abit done to the 53. The tanks went in nice and neat in the crossmember and outta site and should be pretty of air to run the bags on all four corners. Got the rear notches in place and ready to finish cutting the section out as soon as I get the rear end will wait until I also get the bed and fenders on to look at the wheel placement I want, going to also put tubs in the sides using 73 chevy from LCM for the notches spring and bag bar will be lower than the bed so I will still have a nice wood bed in the back. Got the frame in primer to keeep the rust away after blasting and grinding on it for a month or so and put the cab back on for the second assembly. Went around the truck and started marking the body work to be done and noticed that I need to put the parking brake tab thats on the crossbar needs to be on the bottom side of the brake crossbar assemble didnt think about it until we put the cab back on, also decided that the stock door latches are a real piece of work even new I dont like them going to look at installing the a bear claw latch would be much better, because if you look at the stock latches the V-shave groove just really wont hold the door right and reading the get loose quite often having to adjust them over and over. A couple of weeks will order the Mustang II it for the front end and the rear bed and that should do it as far and putting in alot of $$$$$$ for this year at about 4800.00 since december and I'm on a budget. Will get the body work done and in 2K primer in spring and the little stuff here and there but the big pieces will be next year or around december, rearend, wheels,wiring harness, all the cab parts/glass/seals/sterring wheel/etc. Here's some pics of the lastest progress really like to know what ya think about the way the build going and the placing of the air tanks.
Attached Images

53lochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
53lochevy

Re: 53 Air Tanks/C-Notch Installed/Frame Primed

more pics
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
pugs

looks good keep up the work and pics coming
Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

The frame looks great. Like the placement of the air tanks. Cross member looks good. Just about the tanks. Once the bed is on will you have very good access to connections on the tanks? Also do those air tanks have a bottom plug for a drainage valve?

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
53lochevy

From the top of the ait tank connections to the top/underside if the cab floor is about 3/4 inches just by looking at it plenty of clearence for the 90 degree angle air fittings, will hard line between the two running the equalizer line across the top back rail on the x-member will weld a tap in the center of the rail, will route the plastic air lines to the valves and compressor. The compressor will be mounted by one of the tanks on one side may have enough room for the valves, but will probably go on the other side by the other tank. All brake and gas lines have enough room to be routed down the inside of frame and nicely attached will run wires for tank,lights, etc inside frame rails to back, as far as access to the system u will have to jack it up also will install emergency line for air filling/deman air fitting up under the rear fender hidden away but accessible and yes the tanks have drain ports in the bottom of both of them will hard line them also for access up under the fender out of sight but accessible to drain. That way in case of a failure in the compressor I will have a fill line available to plug in and get air in the tanks or demand for air using the compressor flat tire, etc without having to jack it up. Building it to be out of sight and neatly done nothing worse than walking up to a beautiful truck and look in the back and see the tank and all the hardware I dont care what u do it still an eye sore but easy to work on so u decide.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
Brent5631

everything looks great!
my only thought is where is the exhaust gonna go so it won't kill your ground clearance?
Four Link Rear
Brent5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
Igotachevyor2
Apache Club

looks great
Igotachevyor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
Smokejohnson

Lookin good bud. Can't wait to see more.
Smokejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
53lochevy

The distance between the bottom of the frame rail and the bottom of the running boards looks about 6-61/2 inches so there should be plenty of room for the exhaust muffler to fit, the h-pipe will be placed around the middle of the x-member and the muffler will be and the back end of the x-member with the exhaust routed out the side in a cutout in the running board at the back of them something like a nascar exhaust system with dual openings. View height is going to be 2inches off the ground with bumper stops at same height in case of failure its not going to drag the ground, ride height is going to be around 5-51/2
Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Looks like a very nice start..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
Daniel U

I went through my reciepts and I can't remember which Bear Claw kit I used, large or "mini"
http://www.clparts.com/clshop/store.php?crn=104
but I'd suggest measuring the door and going from there. Sorry I couldn't be more help
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote