The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
70GMCer

Control arm ?

Can someone please finally give a correct answer. Is the only difference between the 68/72 upper & lower control arms, the ball joints? And, is there a difference between 68/72 1/2T & 3/4T arms other than the ball joints?

thanks for the input.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
kxnomore

Re: Control arm ?

Here's what I found out this weekend after doing a swap from a 1/2 ton into a 3/4 ton.

The upper shaft in the upper control arm that connects to the crossmember with the two bolts that have the alignment shims are different. The 3/4 ton uses larger bolts and the holes in the cross-shaft are bigger too, of course.

The Ball joints and spindles are definitely bigger on the 3/4 ton. The outer tie rod end is also bigger on the 3/4 ton.

The lower shafts are the same size, but for some reason on one of the U-bolts on the 3/4 ton, the U-bolt was bigger (thicker). All the other ones from both trucks were the same, so maybe this had been replaced at some point.

I know this is only partial info, but hopefully gets you something...
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

For 1/2 ton:

67-70 are same uppers and lowers.

71-72 are the same, they are different than 67-70 (the older ones have smaller diameter studs in the ball joints).

71-72 spindles will work on 67-70 control arms, you must use the newer ball joints, and the complete newer tie rod. Any year ball joints will fit in any year a arms, upper and lower. You will also have to trim the steering stop on the disc brake spindles. you can also use 73-87 spindles, but you must also use the newer BJ, and TR.

For 3/4 ton, someone else will have to chime in

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
chevy one
Chevy One

70GMCer, I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question on this subject. When doing the swap do I need to use the 71 center link for the inner tie rods to connect? I have read some that say yes and some say no. I am still a little confused on this. Bus Ted Knuckle, maybe you can clear this up for me!

Thanks
03 Monte Carlo
I'M NOT OLD, JUST A CLASSIC!!!
chevy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy one View Post
70GMCer, I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question on this subject. When doing the swap do I need to use the 71 center link for the inner tie rods to connect? I have read some that say yes and some say no. I am still a little confused on this. Bus Ted Knuckle, maybe you can clear this up for me!

Thanks

I can tell you this, but it might not help: If you're swapping to a 73-87, the center link is a different size/thickness, maybe even shape. I'm swapping a late 70's xmember + UCA + LCA into my '68 right now and that was one thing I noticed right off the bat.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy one View Post

Thanks
Yes, you will need the center section. Heres why:

The tie-rod ends are different between the disc brake and drum brake trucks. drum tie rod end has smaller diameter stud, and smaller diameter theaded end. You cannot screw a disc brake TR end into a drum brake adjuster.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
70GMCer

I know that this has been pounded into the ground in the past, but here goes. Let me know if I am wrong.

If I am to use the 70 U & L arms & install either the 71/72 spindles or the 73/87 spindles, I must change the ball joints to the 71/72, 73/87 style. I know about the tie rods & center drag link.

Here's the thing, (my truck is 1/2T), I have both the 71/72 3/4T disk brake setup w/control arms & links, and an 84 1/2T disk brake setup w/controls arms & links.

I do not want to change the xmember.

Which of these would be the better swap?

Shifty....are you finding the U & L arms fitting without any problems or issues? Your opinion on the swap, as opposed to just using the original arms with the newer spindles?

thanks guys, again for the input....

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

I haven't gotten them on yet - they look almost 99% identical in shape/size, and several other people have done this swap (to 73+ front end) without any problems. The only chnge you gotta make is boring out one or two holes on the frame with a stepbit or similar.

BTW - I am swapping over everything. I was using drum/drum, and am swapping to disc/drum.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 02-27-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
chevy one
Chevy One

Thanks Bus Ted Knuckle and shifty, I have all donner parts from the 71 1/2 ton. The junk yard find had all new U/L joints, I/O tie rods with adj sleeves & re-man calipers. I robed everthing except the lower B joints & C link, did'nt have press with me. I will go back to get the link, hope it's still there
70GMCer thanks for letting me bump your thread, wish I could help you but as you can see I am learning also. Feel free to bump my threads any time
03 Monte Carlo
I'M NOT OLD, JUST A CLASSIC!!!
chevy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
shifty
Questionable

I found a post by SCOTI over in the suspension forum tonight that might be of interest to you.

Seems you have a lot of options. Here's the post:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...38&postcount=4

It was from this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=245183

Give it a read...