The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

How Much Longer?

Let me start off by saying- "I love cars". Ever since I was a kid I had this unnatural affection for internal combustion art. You name it- Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, Cruisers, Sport Sedans, Classic Trucks, Imports, Domestics, piles of crap and $100,000 trailer queens. If it has a motor and rolls- I can find something to like about it.........even in a F#@D! I look back at my first car (1968 Buick GS....wish I had that one back!) and the various VW's, Beemers, Audi's, Toyotas, Fords, Chevy's, I've owned and tweeked since and never was I hesitant to drive them due to the financial burden of doing so. However, as the price of gasoline continues to rise, I find myself wondering how long can we continue to enjoy this hobby, this religion, this never-ending quest for personal perfection we call the classic car / truck resto-rod-ification? Don't get me wrong I enjoy (generally) every moment I get out in the shop wrenchin' on the ole '67 and I am even in the market for another project along the lines of a 60-62 Impala / LeSabre / Bonneville, but at what point is what we're doing going to more about historical preservation rather than actual driving and enjoying the fruits of our labors? I'm seriously looking into an E85 conversion for the SBC, but also feel kinda like I'm betraying the purity of the breed.
How do the rest of ya'll feel? Has the rising price and uncertain supply of good old gasoline changed your plans or tempered your enthusiasm lately? Where do we go from here? Would an E85, CNG or Fuel-Cell powered classic be true to the art?
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: How Much Longer?

I paid more than what we are now back in the 70 & 80 for gas when I lived in Japan. It didn't slow me down then, I doubt it will change me much now. I think a bit more be for I just roam aimlessly, but other than that, I am a Piston Head and petrol prices won't change that.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
ohsocountry86

i just think its all in how you drive it i have an 87 gmc s15 for a 4 wd toy and if i drive normal gas is fine ( but i never can) and i have a 72 c10 which i love to cruise in and try for some good gas mileage but how can u resist from blocking out the honda muffler look and sound with the sound of your v8 and a good smoke show. but i agree it sucks but its like doing a dumb hot girl you know you wont be able to resist the urge. knowing nothing good will come from it except minutes of pleasure every once in awile
ohsocountry86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

moved to general discussion.
my 2 cents;
if you were driving from the mid 70's till the mid 80's, you were paying more.
E-85 isn't the answer... it'll come and go just like electric cars at the turn of the 20th century
if you are spending too much for gas, then you are driving too far... move closer to work. IF you live and work in the same city or town, then IMO there is d@mn near no reason to commute. (certian citys, I understand this isn't doable) I drive 12 miles round trip to/from work. If I don't do anything in the evenings.. which is common I hate to admit... then a tank of gas will last me more than a week... 2 weeks if I try. (big block carb'd non overdrive one ton truck)
My last view on this I'll keep to my self, becouse trhere's enough ppl on here that'll whine to no end.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

In the 70s .. I thought this hobby would die because of fuel shortage by the late 80s. Obviously; I was wrong. Fuel issues may change the nature of my daily driver, but my truck will always be powered by a 4 inch sbc. (Unless I go nuts and get a bbc!)

Hi Andy -- some metro areas will force you to choose between a long commute or unreasonable housing, especially if you were not vested in real estate in the region before the housing boom.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

In 1999 my family and I moved out of town and now I drive about 18 miles to get to work one way. At the time I had a gas guzzling 95 GMC Yukon and soon thereafter I bought my 69 K20 and later my 70 K5. I drove the 95 GMC the most and drove the others about once a week.

As gas prices continued to rise I decided it was time to replace the daily driver with something much more fuel efficient. The 95 GMC was getting a pitiful 11-12 mpg - I replaced it with a Pontiac Vibe and now knock down on average 28-29 mpg. That adjustment has made it alot easier for me to continue enjoying my 69 and 70 though I do drive them less than once a week at this point primarily due to the high cost of gas.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My trucks are my hobby. They arent my full time rides. So I dont really care what kind of mileage I get. All levels of hobbies have a you wanna play you gotta pay aspect. Luckily ours isnt anywhere close to where the big bucks play.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

My primary hobby is model rocketry. You want to talk about expensive? I can go through over $100 in engines in less than three hours. Even more if I'm launching the Big Boys. They can go as high as $10-$20 a launch.

So in comparison driving a 6mpg truck is cheap for me...

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Russell
Professional Grade

I just switched mine over to diesel. If it gets too costly I'll make my own fuel!

My truck will rarely get driven during the summer as it is... I'll use it mostly to haul stuff to the lake, or to drive to church on Sunday Mornings. It'll never be driven in the snow, I want it to last for a long time after I've put so much money into it...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I love these old classic rides and will always have to drive a 'hot rod'- whether that's vintage or modern. Since I can't afford the modern, more fuel-efficient 'hot rod' that I'd reeeeeally like to have (i.e. Pontiac Solstice), I'll have to stick with my truck or my Camaro. I hate the fact that whenever I'm out driving a 'family' car or 'mini-van' or something similar (you know, the car that nobody even notices?) I always seem to pull alongside a cool classic and feel envious of the guy while he's out there enjoying his drive and getting all that attention. I'm always envious that I'm not driving mine as well in that situation.

As much as I love the environment and hate paying high gas prices, I'll stick with my classic cars. And although it hasn't happened yet, I've always hoped that my fuel-ineffient ride would help me make the decision to ride my bike more often.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 02-27-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Classic69
Love That '69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsocountry86 View Post
i agree it sucks but its like doing a dumb hot girl, you know you wont be able to resist the urge, knowing nothing good will come from it except minutes of pleasure every once in awile
LMAO......SO TRUE!!!

Every spring/summer I always enjoy and look forward to cruising around in my '69 Chevy and taking it to show 'N' shines. Yeah the price of gas sucks and continues to rise, but that ain't gonna stop me from doing what I love. I got my 4 banger for gas mileage.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates

Last edited by Classic69; 02-27-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
cstanley

for me, i see the lines between the essence of hot rodding, etc. and restoration blurring. sure, there will still be museum restorations that no one drives, but for enthusiasts, the very being, the essence of this hobby is to continually refine and make the vehicle better with the newest (or most affordably) available technologies. That means that the moment it becomes practical to transplant whatever the newest, most economical technologies into the classic ride present themselves, it will happen. whether it be electric, fuel cell, solar, farts, mr. fusion, or whatever.

it doesn't worry me at all, because though we get more economical, more environmentally responsible, or more adventurous, I do not believe for a second that we will give up speed and power (at least, not for long.) it's human nature, in our blood. Automotive engineers are the same way. As long as we remain individuals, we will strive for a very pleasurable driving machine. that means speed, power, and agility.

I for one am very excited, and willingly look forward to adopting new technologies into my old ride. They'll prolly be a damn sight faster/more powerful than what's available now...

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote