The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Ground Straps Where Do They Go?

I started putting in my wire harness and remembered ground straps. How many do I need and where do they go?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
cflvulcan

Re: Ground Straps Where Do They Go?

one from the radiator support to the frame, one from the frame the cab, and one from the frame to the bed, so 3. i just put new ones on mine too...
cflvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Rokcrln

With grounds I assume every car is fiberglass! Reason for this is that way everything is tied into yout grounding grid system and your grounds are the most important part of a vehical's wiring. I like to use large cables from the battery to the front of the motor. From that same point on the motor I also put one to the frame. Then I put the flat braded strap from the back of the drivers head to the bolt mounting the brake booster. The next one goes from the pass front cab mount to the frame also with a braded strap. The last one would conect the bed to the cab. Then inside the cab I like to mount the grounds to the brake bracket assembly (remember the ground strap from the head to the booster). This sounds like alot but it is so easy to do it now their is no reason not to and it will save alot of trouble shooting later on. I also like to clean the paint off the area that I mount grounds to and I put Di-electric (SP?) grease on the ground and body/bolt before tightening things together. This helps stop any small surface rust and gives a great conection.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-29-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
pcorriveau951

Kevin covered that subject really good, only one thing that i do alittle different is that i dont use the cab mount bolt, i prefer to permenatley attached and ground braided strap to the cab floor by bolt and weld. but that just me i dont like to use the mount becuase of the bushing.
pcorriveau951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Great info. I think I found my next project.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcorriveau951 View Post
Kevin covered that subject really good, only one thing that i do alittle different is that i dont use the cab mount bolt, i prefer to permenatley attached and ground braided strap to the cab floor by bolt and weld. but that just me i dont like to use the mount becuase of the bushing.
You are right what I ment by the mount is the flor brace that the mount bolts to. The factory used a self tapping screw into the side of the floor brace. Good catch

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Does anyone sell ground strap kits??... I thought I saw it somewhere...maybe GMC Pauls???....Also, could you guys post some pictures of all ground strap locations....and how you attached them to the frame, cab, etc??...
I too am closing in on wiring "the mistress"!!!

Thanks for any help!

PS....I DID see it at GMC Paul's ($27.95)....http://www.gmcpauls.com/Electrical.htm
5 straps just like Rok said!!!

PSS...I did a search and found this, but still am unclear from some of the pictures....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=153283

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present

Last edited by gcburdic; 02-29-2008 at 07:57 PM.
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

kevin, i normally end up doing it almost to the point that you do. I've had people tell my I'm crazy... but you know what? I've NEVER had a ground problem after doing this.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
With grounds I assume every car is fiberglass! Reason for this is that way everything is tied into yout grounding grid system and your grounds are the most important part of a vehical's wiring. I like to use large cables from the battery to the front of the motor. From that same point on the motor I also put one to the frame. Then I put the flat braded strap from the back of the drivers head to the bolt mounting the brake booster. The next one goes from the pass front cab mount to the frame also with a braded strap. The last one would conect the bed to the cab. Then inside the cab I like to mount the grounds to the brake bracket assembly (remember the ground strap from the head to the booster). This sounds like alot but it is so easy to do it now their is no reason not to and it will save alot of trouble shooting later on. I also like to clean the paint off the area that I mount grounds to and I put Di-electric (SP?) grease on the ground and body/bolt before tightening things together. This helps stop any small surface rust and gives a great conection.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
What gauge wire would you use from the battery to the motor and frame? And what size flat braided, I've have a couple of 1/4 inch flat braided and seen up to 1inch.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 AM   #10
pcorriveau951

Thumbs up Re: Ground Straps Where Do They Go?

Well with the ground straps i always tend to go alittle over broad, it wont hurt to put a larger size ground strap/cable. i would recommend, due to prior conversation regarding stereo system, to go with a 0 guage or comparable ground strap.
When it comes to grounding a vehicle electricial system, a larger ground than a power doesnt effect the electrical system the same way it does if you go with a larger power and smaller ground.
Since your doing a full rewire on your truck what i would suggest to do, this is what im doing on my truck, going with a 0 guage from battery to frame, frame to engine, and also frame to cab. while your wiring your truck also plan ahead for you stereo system, go with a larger power wire from your battery to your alternator.
Hopefully this has been helpful to you and anyone else reading, goodluck.
Phil
Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

0 is overkill... but as he said, overkill is not a bad thing.
The only thinkg I would say that doesn't agree with what pcorriveau951 said, I would run that neg battery cable to the engine, then from engine to frame. The starter motor is the only thing that needs a large ground cable. nothing else takes the amps that the starter does. the shortest path from the source to the load is the best path... so no need to run the ground path from the starter to the block to the frame to the battery when it can simply go starter, block, cable and battery.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
pcorriveau951

Longhorn agreed the ground wire to the starter on the engine, but when i do a ground i always link them together so the wire from the battery to frame, frame to cab, and to engine all intersect at same mounting location, i dont just depend on the frame to transfer the ground, i treat every vehicle as if it were a fiberglass vehicle like rokcrln said, i always link my grounds together just for safety wise, i have seen where guys have attached the ground to the frame the relied on the frame to transmit the ground and had electronics get messed up becasue of a improper ground on the frame.
With the ground cable, when i install a sound system in any customers cars i always recommend going with the largest power and ground cable they can afford because car audio can be very addictive and after awhile you will want to upgrade to larger amps to get more bass, or louder sounds. so save yourself the moneyof doing it over again. Plus all of your normal electronic in your vehicle will benefit from having a stronger ground, at the same time.
Better to be safe then sorry. thats my philosphy.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Great advice from all.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote