The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
oldwagon

Cool Radiator problem

Don't know if anybody has ever run into this problem or not. I just installed a new radiator in my 83 doolly and wound up with a leaking drain cock. Not at the threads, as u mite think, but thru the spigot where it normally drains. Tho't it mite be because I put a hose on the end of it, so I replace that drain with another new one. It leaked also. Thru the spigot. Any ideas? Mechanic said that possibly the fitting that the drain screws into wasn't installed rite. Sound feasible? I'm stumped!
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

Re: Radiator problem

I personally think drain petcocks are crap, but that's just me. I prefer ball valves if at all feasible. Does it leak all the time or just when it's pressurized? Did you pull it out and clean the back side where it seats? If it's got solder or shavings in it it'll never seal right. Could it be looking at the joint around the bung or at the threads and running down to drip at the drain hole? Hard to figure out from here, just things to think about. Hope that helps.

My Dad's Old Truck

Last edited by 85gmcguy; 02-29-2008 at 06:32 AM.
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
lawson86

Re: Radiator problem

I have had the same problems with them some leak some don't. some will open and close and some will just turn forever. The most important thing i've found is like most things don't over tighten it or it will leak for sure and put some thread tape on when you install it. Oh and pray it don't leak.
lawson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
oldwagon

Thumbs up Re: Radiator problem

Both leaked even with no pressure. Didn't think to clean either drain at the time. I think I will look at a ball valve if I can put one in. It's pretty close to the steering box but I'll hope for the best. Thanks.
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote