The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Bill72

New guy with some questions

Bought a 72 K5 CST Highlander in 1989 from the original owner in Phoenix. Sold to a guy in Florida in 1994. Bought it back 2 weeks ago. Orig owner changed the color from Light Yellow to White. Last owner dyed Parchment door panels and back side panels black. I won't be restoring for at least a year but wanted some opinions. I like the black better than the parchment but realize Highlanders were only outfitted with Parchment. Also, I think it would be hard to dye the back panels back to the original color. So I'm thinking about leaving them black? The plaid is Avocado, also not my favorite. I'd like to redo the seats in b/w houndstooth on black vinyl but don't think houndstooth was supposed to be available in a Blazer. I have seen old Blazers with old worn out houndstooth in them where the owners claim its original, but? Still, everything is original so where do you stop messing with it? Or do you just never mess with it and spend big bucks for stuff you really don't want? (like Avocado plaid, parchment with no or inferior scrolling etc.) Got more questions but I'll put them in another post. Thanks
Bill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Re: New guy with some questions

If your going to keep it then build it the way you want. With what your wanting to do I don't see it affecting it much either way. The easiest way to post pics is to subscribe and become a member. Its the best/cheapest thing you'll ever do.... You can then just attatch pics directly to your post. Welcome to the board from KY.... Can't wait to see those pics!!!

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Welcome to the board. I am a firm believer in making your truck or K5 exactly how you want it. Sure the K5's are becoming fewer and far between, but if you restoring it for resale, save yourself the hassle and sell it now cause we usually put alot more money into the trucks than we can get out of them.

From your post I'm guessing you're keeping your K5 this time so resale doesn't sound like an issue.

Build it how you want it, yank the top and ENJOY!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Huck

The upscale Blazer was available with fabric inserts in the bucket seats. Have had an original with Blue. The houndstooth style fabric has been reproduced by a company in oregon. Original 70's had all sorts of colors, decals, disco kind of crap. Build it so you like it---building back to original thinking it will be worth more DOESN"T apply to old trucks or 4x4's. This ain't no classic corvette!! heheheh Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
krc400

Welcome to the board from Ohio! I am also new to the board and going through the "Highlander" dilemna. I stumbled onto one recently in factory orange with orange Highlander package. I know its hard to get the fabrics but I have decided to eventually bring mine back to its original glory, since the truck is basically original. I plan on keeping this one for the long haul, so I really don't care what it takes. Regardless how you choose I don't think you will regret it, these are the coolest Blazers ever made! Good Luck!
krc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
DANTES JIMMY

i think all of you guys are right
they're all awesome old trucks what makes them special
is that they are ours make the truck yours do what you want to it do what you think looks good or works for you
plus lets be honest some of that plaid was ugly
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
ClassicJimmy
FNG to resto/mod world!

Welcome to the board from Washington state. Saw you were in Ft. Sumner, NM. Billy the Kid is buried there & I was born there! You have a Blazer & I have a Jimmy! It's a small, small world!

I've spent many a night trying to decide what to do with mine. I'm of the mind that if it's what you want (& who doesn't want a rig like these!) make it the way you want it. Understanding your dilema with having a Highlander & somewhat original, I say keep it the Highlander, but with your color scheme. Best of both worlds - original, but how you would've done it!
04 Nissan Titan ECSB Off Road - sold & missed
13 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (work truck) - sold
16 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (work truck)
ClassicJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote