The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

ANOTHER drip rail question. Its new though. I promise.

Working on the cab of my truck. Drip rails are in great shape. I do have one area that has some issues. I guess at one time the drip rail was leaking, the PO of the truck fixed that by putting bondo to smooth the seams and seal em. It worked, but looks hideous. I have one area were some rust is building up and its inbetween the drip rail and the cab. If you look at the picture you can see where the drip rail bows down a bit. THe bowing is caused by some rust/scaling thats pushing that down... THat metal is very solid there and i dont think i need to shave it completely.

I want to remove that drip rail, clean, rustproof and reinstall a new drip rail. My question is, is the drip rail held on by spot welds??? Anyone removed a drip rail and reinstalled new ones. I dont want to shave them, just fix what i have.... Thanks.

lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
pat

Re: ANOTHER drip rail question. Its new though. I promise.

Its not welded on as a separate piece. Its where the different pieces of the cab are squeezed and welded together. You should be able to cut the bad part of the old one off and put a chunk from another cab in its place.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Its not welded on as a separate piece. Its where the different pieces of the cab are squeezed and welded together. You should be able to cut the bad part of the old one off and put a chunk from another cab in its place.
Ahh, so that drip rail isnt a spot welded on piece. Ok.. sounds good... So they are sandwhiched together the metal??

Just cut off that bad section, weld on the new.. Sounds easy enough...
Old 03-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
BHyatt

Check out the FAQ section. Those side drip rails are actually separate pieces while the one above the windshield is not.
BHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHyatt View Post
Check out the FAQ section. Those side drip rails are actually separate pieces while the one above the windshield is not.
I did quite a few searches... Everyone talking about removing them.. I just want to replace em.. Will do on teh FAQ.

EDIT: I just looked through the FAQ, i cant find anything.. Any help here?

Last edited by lyrikz; 03-01-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:34 AM   #6
BustedTruck

I didn't find anything in the FAQs Either.
BustedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHyatt View Post
Forgot about that. You can see the layers in this picture. Three around the doors and 2 above the windshield.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
GSFMECH
On the road

Those are spot welded on. I replaced mine. You can buy repop drip rails but they don't match the originals very well. I cut a nice set off a junk cab I had with a torch. I cut the cab back away from the drip rails with a torch so I wouldn't damage them and then took the pieces to my shop and drilled the spot welds out. A better way is to grind them loose from the back and then notch the lip they weld to and weld them from the back as well so you don't have as much body work. I blasted both sides and coated with weld through zinc and blasted the cab as well and welded them on. There are more pictures of the finished rails in my build thread in the build section but I don't know how to link this one to it. I wish I had taken photos of the job while I was doing it as this is a common problem on these trucks.
Attached Images

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
wldavis

As mentioned above, the drip rails above the doors are seperate pieces and they are spot welded on. I purchased a new set from GMC Pauls and I had no problems fitting them to the cab. I just drilled out the spot welds and removed the old drip rails. Placed the old drip rails over the new ones, marked the spot weld location, drilled holes in the new drip rails, clamped them in place and welded them up. To me it was one of the easiest repairs I made when replacing sheet metal.
wldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

So...

The drip rails can be COMPLETELY removed and the cab roof is still structurally held together (around the doors)???
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 03-01-2008 at 09:00 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
GSFMECH
On the road

Yep, that's right, the ones above the door will come right off and will not affect the roof.

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #12
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFMECH View Post
Yep, that's right, the ones above the door will come right off and will not affect the roof.
Thanks guys. I kinda figured after looking at it that the door ones were spot welded on, but i had nothing to disprove that. Luckily mine have very minimal rust and damage. Gettin the bondo out is pretty fun and not to bad, a wire wheel takes it RIGHT out.. Like butter.

I will post my build thread one of these days, as soon as i get a little further along...
Old 03-02-2008, 03:52 AM   #13
BustedTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldavis View Post
As mentioned above, the drip rails above the doors are seperate pieces and they are spot welded on. I purchased a new set from GMC Pauls and I had no problems fitting them to the cab. I just drilled out the spot welds and removed the old drip rails. Placed the old drip rails over the new ones, marked the spot weld location, drilled holes in the new drip rails, clamped them in place and welded them up. To me it was one of the easiest repairs I made when replacing sheet metal.

Do you have any pictures? It looks like to me the spot welds would be easier to drill from the cab portion? Does anyone have some good pics of this?
BustedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote