The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Joe T

power steering install

i know this is posted alot and i looked at a ton of previous topics, but i have a question about the steps you take to get the power steering working properly after everything is installed. i am planning on using this as a guide:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=216886

but at the end, it is not real clear on how to start using the power steering setup. i bought a used one off here a few months ago and plan on installing it this month.
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: power steering install

Joe, what do you mean you say "how to start using the power steering setup.."

Are you referring to something in the actual installation process or adding the power steering fluid and priming the pump after the installation?
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
shifty
Questionable

basically, this is what i understand, although i HAVE NOT done it yet.

you can supposedly burn up a new gearbox if you don't take proper precautions after installing it.

i hear - and someone can chime in, i hope - i hear once you install the new, empty, no fluid inside gearbox, you should lift the front end of the truck off the ground so the wheels are not touching. DO NOT STEER YET.

Fill the resevoir with fluid and leave the cap off. Start the truck. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock, then turn off the engine. Go fill the resevoir up to the fill line again, then repeat. Top off the fluid afterwards, put the cap back on and then drive it around.

Again - this is just what I've HEARD (and read) around here. Don't take this as the end-all be-all example of what to do. I know how to upgrade to PS, but haven't actually driven on it yet

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-02-2008 at 03:28 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
daveo68

That's the way my brother and I done it.

davideowens@lexcominc.net

God Bless America
daveo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Joe T

ok, thanks for the info, this is very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
basically, this is what i understand, although i HAVE NOT done it yet.

you can supposedly burn up a new gearbox if you don't take proper precautions after installing it.

i hear - and someone can chime in, i hope - i hear once you install the new, empty, no fluid inside gearbox, you should lift the front end of the truck off the ground so the wheels are not touching. DO NOT STEER YET.

Fill the resevoir with fluid and leave the cap off. Start the truck. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock, then turn off the engine. Go fill the resevoir up to the fill line again, then repeat. Top off the fluid afterwards, put the cap back on and then drive it around.

Again - this is just what I've HEARD (and read) around here. Don't take this as the end-all be-all example of what to do. I know how to upgrade to PS, but haven't actually driven on it yet
Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

When digging through my thread subscriptions, I found this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=251657

It talks about how to properly fill up and prime.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Joe T

so i got the gear box out today, not to bad. but the puller i got (oem) doesnt fit around the other side of the pitman arm. it is too small. i had no problem getting it off the gear box. how do i get this off? also i compared the manual pitman arm to the power one and they look identical, and i asked at the auto store if they had a different one for power and they said they were the same part #. why do you say to change it?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

I bought a puller from the local auto parts store - $8.

I say change the pitman arm, because mine was drastically different between power and non-power. I have no idea what the guy is talking about, unless you're using a non 67/68 truck. It's really important to understand that there appear to be some differences between 67-68, 69-70 and 71-72 trucks. Be wary of this any time you're dealing with parts.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
Joe T

so heres where i am at so far. I got the gearbox mounted, but it seems i have the power steering pump brackets for a long water pump. i have a short on there now (this is a 71 c10). now, i had a 1 groove crank pully, but i switched that with a 3 groove. the fan pully and the crank pully do not line up now. if i get a long water pump, will they line up then? or should i get the short water pump brackets and a crank pully that lines up with the short water pump? will the long pump fit (meaning the fan will have enough room and will not hit the radiator)?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
Joe T

anybody?