The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2002, 04:47 PM   #1
chargedstang89

Tranny (700R4) not engaing...HELP!!!!

Well, after putting a brand new motor in the truck, the tranny doesn't work hardly at all. I bought the truck used and on the way home, the tranny acted kind of funny a little, but the truck was running so bad from the carb/engine that I didn't think much of it. I got the new motor in it and when I went to take off, it seemed to do okay, noticed a little hesitated shift, but once the truck/tranny got warm.....poof. It won't go anywhere at all. The tranny is full of fluid, so it's not that. If you shut the truck off, then re-start it, it will torque up a little, but not anything like it should. Then, it will also lose torque. It has a 700R4 in it. Can anyone help me? I also put an Edelbrock (1904) carb on it, which has all of the factory linkages. There is no linkage or cable or any thing going from the tranny to the carb...should there be? Can anyone please help me??
chargedstang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 10:18 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

STOP DRIVING THE TRUCK!!!
Do not drive it anymore without the TV cable hooked up to the carb!! You can kill a 700R4 in minutes by not have the TV cable hooked up. The cable is used to increase the tranny line pressure to ensure shifing and lubrication. Buy universal TV cable and install it. Once you get let let us know. We'll tell you how to adjust it properly.

Hopefully your tranny is not shot.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:12 PM   #3
hrc200x

How do you adjust it? Are just the ones on the 700r4 adjustable or can it be done on a 350 also?
Old 10-28-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Read this article on how to adjust the TV cable.
http://www.73-87.com/garage/tvcable.htm

You know you have it right when you are in 2nd stomp the throttle and the tranny easily kicks down to 1st. At wide open throttle the TV cable end should be fully pulled out. Hold the carb at wide open throttle then take some needle nose pliers and pull on the TV cable. If more pulls out keep adjusting until it stops.